PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What were YOUR season predictions?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What were YOUR season predictions?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:57 am

Someone would have to go back and find the season prediction thread but I seem to recall thinking it would be a really successful year if this team could go 8-4 and win a Bowl Game to finish 9-4. I never imagined a 10 win season with road games at La Tech, TCU, Navy, Houston, Memphis & Cincy. I seem to remember thinking this team could go 6-6 and just hoped for 8-4.

Now I'm hoping we can split the last 4 games to finish the regular season at 9-3 and play a Bowl Game with hopes of another 10 win season. Won't be easy
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: What were YOUR season predictions?

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:12 am

I believe I had 11-1 with the loss to Cincy. I put in a (+/-1) qualifier.

I still think, if we get out of our own way, beat 4-4 Memphis and taking a wounded UCF at home and Tulsa should be manageable. I also think we can be spoiler to UC given the noticeable cracks in the armor when both navy and Tulane gave them fits til the end.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:12 am

I had 10-2, with the November swoon looming, I'm hoping for that.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby peruna81 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:01 pm

8-4

I believe I would like a mulligan.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:16 pm

I had us going 6-6 or 7-5. We got lucky against La Tech. Other than that we are on track. I hope we manage to beat Memphis, UCF, and Tulsa, but history says we lose 2 of those 3.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:24 pm

mustangxc wrote:I had us going 6-6 or 7-5. We got lucky against La Tech. Other than that we are on track. I hope we manage to beat Memphis, UCF, and Tulsa, but history says we lose 2 of those 3.

I'm with you. I honestly feared a 6-6 season after looking at our schedule
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:23 am

i say 9-4
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:37 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I believe I had 11-1 with the loss to Cincy. I put in a (+/-1) qualifier.

I still think, if we get out of our own way, beat 4-4 Memphis and taking a wounded UCF at home and Tulsa should be manageable. I also think we can be spoiler to UC given the noticeable cracks in the armor when both navy and Tulane gave them fits til the end.

Sadly my prediction was before all this outside noise and uncertainty. If it doesn't resolve I could see an 8 or 9 win season.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:27 pm

9-3 or 8-4. I’m pleased with where we are. Nice, competitive team that deserves its current ranking.

Beat Memphis!
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:19 pm

I'm pleased with where we are but the next 2 weeks will tell the rest of the story. Coming into this season, I assumed we would lose road games at TCU, Cincinnati and probably at Houston and Memphis. I feared that UCF might spoil and undefeated season at Ford. In my worst case scenario, I feared we could lose at La Tech and at Navy our guys gave me too many nervous moments in those games, but so far, so good as far as I'm concerned.

Beating Memphis and UCF would make this a really successful season in my book. I have no expectation of beating Cincinnati at their place and still fear a major meltdown if we lose 4 in a row and limp into the finale vs Tulsa. It could happen, but I think this team has shown a lot of character so at this point I expect at least one win in this brutal 4 game stretch.
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:00 am

It should still be all out there for us to take, and a magical season is still possible.

One positive from losing to Houston is that now we will only have to play (and beat) Cincy once and would not face them in the championship game to win the conference (which is the goal of the team.)

If SMU wins out, they should also be in good shape to get the at large bid to the NY6 bowl. Nothing much has changed, we need to win the 3 games we will be favored to win (Memphis, UCF, Tulsa). We need to upset Cincy, which doesn't seem too huge of a stretch, Cincy has looked vulnerable the last few weeks and are not nearly as dominant as they were in the beginning of the year. We then need to beat Houston in the Championship game.

Would be pretty funny if Cincy doesn't even make the conference championship game, much less the BCS playoff.

The road laid out above is pretty much what we would have needed to do anyway. Either way, to be conference champs, we would have to beat Cincy at least once. The path we are on now, that win needs to come in three weeks instead of the championship game.

Just need to take care of business against teams we should beat and then let's see what happens!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:24 pm

I had us at 6-2 at this point with losses to tcu and houston with a finish of 9-3 before the bowl game.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm

I had us at 7-5 but starting 6-1. Tulsa, Memphis and UCF all look more beatable than they did pre-season, but could still lose 2-3 more easily.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby TidePony » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:45 pm

7-5 was what I was hoping and not 6-6 (I was afraid of that). But, I think we exceed it.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:39 pm

Losses to UCF and Cincinnati will have us at 7-4 going into the pillow fight against Tulsa. If not for a miracle against LaTech, this is a mediocre team that needs more experience as I predicted in the offseason. What a shame. At least we can make plans to play in Frisco which is better than going 0-12.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Football