PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Give Preston a shot

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Give Preston a shot

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:07 am

Nothing to play for?!?!?!?!?

Come on mustangxc, I know you’ve been around long enough to remember the days where we were holding our collective breaths to get that elusive 6th win and a bowl invite sometime in December.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:11 am

PerunaPunch wrote:Nothing to play for?!?!?!?!?

Come on mustangxc, I know you’ve been around long enough to remember the days where we were holding our collective breaths to get that elusive 6th win and a bowl invite sometime in December.

Can’t speak for xc but I think a lot of the negative sentiment is that it feels like SMU doesn’t have a lot of runway to post breakthrough wins and seasons. 8-4 with crap attendance isn’t going to get it done. And it’s certainly not that I, for one, expected a breakthrough year, it’s just a matter of hoping for it, because it was needed. And seemed possible with that miracle in Ruston. And now it’s off the table.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:15 am

and many (or at least some) remember the days when we played schools like Ohio St and ND. and were not embarrassed by our performances. Teams that were most always in contention and that was before the Pony Express.

The nov. slumber is not something that should be accepted by the coaches as well as the fans and the admin.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:22 am

I would hardly conclude that at least having an opportunity to beat UCF and/or Cincinnati and win 10 games is "having nothing to play for" but do want Preston to see more action since we all know he can play in 4 games and still retain his RS.

Preston might still be the QB of SMU's future but I'm not quite ready to give up on Mordecai. Another start like yesterday and...well, our coaches will have a tough decision to make.
Charleston Pony

Postby GoStangs11 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:58 pm

Ive been sounding the alarm on Mordecai for months. Dont care what his stats are after Abeline Christian/UNT/USF. He is surrounded by offensive talent. Slow release problems, he never throws it away, lets the pocket collapse even with open receivers. Special teams have bailed him out (Navy, LA Tech).

Not sayin Stone should get the start - Mordecai has promise and room for improvement. But the Heisman and even DOB hype was absolutely ridiculous.
GoStangs11
Scout Team

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:14 pm

I think Preston is going to be starting next year so burning his redshirt makes no sense.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby okcponyfan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:24 pm

Terry Webster wrote:I think Preston is going to be starting next year so burning his redshirt makes no sense.

Pretty sure a player can still redshirt if they play 4 games in that year.

Think he has only appeared in 1 game. (the tulane game).

So we have 4 games left, so he could play 3 out of the 4 and still be a redshirt year.
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby dalpony » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am

We are 7-2 - we play 12 regular season games - looks doubtful that we play in the championship game but we do qualify to play in a bowl game - the question is do you play Preston in all 3 of the remaining regular games or do you sit him for one game and have him available for the bowl game
dalpony
Varsity

Postby stlpony » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Joseph Hoyt (DMN) reported that Sonny plans to give Preston playing time this weekend vs. UCF. It sounds like real minutes too. Let’s see how it goes.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:58 pm

stlpony wrote:Joseph Hoyt (DMN) reported that Sonny plans to give Preston playing time this weekend vs. UCF. It sounds like real minutes too. Let’s see how it goes.

Pull a Tom Landry/Dallas Cowboys when Morton and Staubach alternated series as they were trying to decide who could best run the offense? That would be pretty extreme but if Tanner fumbles or turns it over or goes 3 and out on his 1st series, why not?
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 pm

If I was in charge of the program I wouldn't worry one bit about burning Preston's redshirt since he might leave early for the NFL or transfer anyway.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby CBpony » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:05 pm

Yeah redshirts aren't quite what they used to be in this Transfer Portal/NIL era
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:05 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
stlpony wrote:Joseph Hoyt (DMN) reported that Sonny plans to give Preston playing time this weekend vs. UCF. It sounds like real minutes too. Let’s see how it goes.

Pull a Tom Landry/Dallas Cowboys when Morton and Staubach alternated series as they were trying to decide who could best run the offense? That would be pretty extreme but if Tanner fumbles or turns it over or goes 3 and out on his 1st series, why not?

Didn’t Landry rotate Morton and Staubach on plays at one point in 1971? Players meeting decided to tell Landry to cut it out, pick one QB that’s what we want. Went with Roger and win streak to the Super Bowl. But yeah, I dont see a problem playing Stone meaningful multiple series if they think he is ready.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football