PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Give Preston a shot

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Give Preston a shot

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:41 pm

The season is essentially over so we might as well prepare for 2022. I'm in!
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:47 pm

We should have 3 more games and a bowl game and Preston can play in 3 (not sure about the bowl game?). No question he should get some snaps but it's not time to give him the keys
Charleston Pony

Postby giacfsp » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:47 pm

Mordecai was far from perfect ... but he is far not the problem. Plenty of other things to fix.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Start with Riley
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM75 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:37 pm

^^^ We have a winner ^^^
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:22 pm

Having a gimpy OL and no Bentley is devastating to this offense and of course our D has been vulnerable forever, but I agree this is not all on Mordecai who incidentally tied the SMU record for season TD passes today
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:24 pm

need to give preston some pt. not sure TM will stay if SD moves on.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:28 pm

giacfsp wrote:Mordecai was far from perfect ... but he is far not the problem. Plenty of other things to fix.

I have been supportive of TM all season, but I'll disagree here. He was the problem on offense. He turned the ball over or took negative plays which killed the majority of our drives. The sacks he took were coverage sacks. If he was going through his progressions more quickly, he would have been able to find an open receiver or get rid of the ball. He regressed back to sitting on his primary and secondary read way too much in this game.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Bottom line is that Preston should at least get some snaps in the remaining games as he is obviously going to utilize his RS season this year. Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff handles it. I'm really disappointed they have burned Epton's RS with so few carries
Charleston Pony

Postby DC-Pony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Solid hot take.

The player with the following rankings going into today’s game in all of college football…
- 7th in passing yards
- 2nd in TDs
- 7th in passer rating
(and oh by the way had 176 yds rushing)

…yeah, bench him. Because…because…what? …mad that we lost. I get the disappointment of losing, especially given new high expectations. And I love that our fans have new, lofty expectations. Our team’s achievement has enabled that. But, Tanner, even with slight imperfections (that every player in history has had) is not a weak link.

But I like that your expectations are high.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:05 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Stone will get his shot next year at TCU with Dykes.

I already fear that happening.

If it does, I will sit down at Milo's bar and cry in my beer!

Tommy....bring me another DESCHUTES!
Last edited by Insane_Pony_Posse on Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:05 pm

Right….pretty studly v HBU, ACU, NTSU, otherwise,,,,,stats are for losers, btw. 0-2 last two games with a UCF next down on the horizon, start ps, move on from Sonny “mr o fer Nov” Dykes
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 am

DC-Pony wrote:Solid hot take.

The player with the following rankings going into today’s game in all of college football…
- 7th in passing yards
- 2nd in TDs
- 7th in passer rating

…yeah, bench him. Because…because…what? …mad that we lost. I get the disappointment of losing, especially given new high expectations. And I love that our fans have new, lofty expectations. Our team’s achievement has enabled that. But, Tanner, even with slight imperfections (that every player in history has had) is not a weak link.

Would be cool to see his stats split between teams with winning records / losing records.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:50 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:
DC-Pony wrote:Solid hot take.

- 7th in passing yards
- 2nd in TDs
- 7th in passer rating

Very few QBs in the country are going to have better stats against good teams vs bad teams and Tanner is certainly not one of them, but he did play poorly today starting with his fumble on that 1st series when it looked like SMU was going to march down the field and take an early lead. I noted that on a couple of sacks he took, he just kept backpedaling away from pressure when it looked like on a couple of occasions he could have stepped up and had better looks downfield or at least pick up a few yards running/sliding vs taking those 12 yard sacks.

Would be cool to see his stats split between teams with winning records / losing records.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:42 am

giacfsp wrote:Mordecai was far from perfect ... but he is far not the problem. Plenty of other things to fix.

He singlehandedly lost us the game yesterday and has been terrible the last two weeks. Given that we have nothing left to play for I don't see anything wrong with giving Stone some game time experience so he can develop more quickly.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football