PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Give Preston a shot

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Give Preston a shot

Postby CBpony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:55 pm

May be reactionary but with all the talk of Sonny possibly going to either TCU or Taco Tech it’d be nice to try and lock Preston down. Mordecai seems to have reached his ceiling and his early year stats are due to the utter lack of competition we faced and the talent of our receiving corps. Mordecai has one more year remaining too but I don’t think he has the upside of Stone. If Sonny leaves I could see Preston leaving too. Not sure how to make this happen but it’d be nice to see Preston
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Re: Give Preston a shot

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:12 pm

CBpony wrote:May be reactionary but with all the talk of Sonny possibly going to either TCU or Taco Tech it’d be nice to try and lock Preston down. Mordecai seems to have reached his ceiling and his early year stats are due to the utter lack of competition we faced and the talent of our receiving corps. Mordecai has one more year remaining too but I don’t think he has the upside of Stone. If Sonny leaves I could see Preston leaving too. Not sure how to make this happen but it’d be nice to see Preston

Premature panic. Stone is SMU's QB of the future and should see more snaps before this season ends
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:05 pm

Tanner is getting heisman hype. Are you insane
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:08 pm

CBpony wrote:May be reactionary but with all the talk of Sonny possibly going to either TCU or Taco Tech it’d be nice to try and lock Preston down. Mordecai seems to have reached his ceiling and his early year stats are due to the utter lack of competition we faced and the talent of our receiving corps. Mordecai has one more year remaining too but I don’t think he has the upside of Stone. If Sonny leaves I could see Preston leaving too. Not sure how to make this happen but it’d be nice to see Preston

100% agree with you, at least give Preston a third or half of the snaps.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:41 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Tanner is getting heisman hype. Are you insane

I agree. TM isn't pick six Hicks. This is a knee jerk reaction to try to find someone to blame. Coaches are primary because of the distractions and mental preparedness for us to get behind 17-0. Also Houston is a whole level better than the competition we have been playing.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big Hoss » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:47 pm

Dumbest post I think I’ve seen on this board in a really long time. Tanner gives us our best shot to win, and we’ve won 7 games this season. Idiotic suggestion.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:05 am

Worst take ever. Tanner is a heisman candidate. Stone, while he isour QB of the future, was playing terrible private school competition a year ago while Mordecai spent three years at the best QB school in the country.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:08 am

This has to be a post where the author says - watch this - they’ll think I’m serious and go crazy. There is no other explanation
gostangs

Postby indianmustang » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:14 am

He can play 3 more games and still redshirt so lets see which 3 games
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby stlpony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:57 am

Mordecai is playing well. Also, he still has two years of eligibility remaining (he had 3 years remaining when he transferred).
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:19 am

Stone will get his shot next year at TCU with Dykes.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby CBpony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:09 pm

stlpony wrote:Mordecai is playing well. Also, he still has two years of eligibility remaining (he had 3 years remaining when he transferred).

Exactly my point. Why would Preston stick it out if he has a chance to start on a team needing a QB next year? Mordecai is definitely coming back as it stands but I think Preston has more upside and can add another layer to this offense with his ability to run. If Dykes leaves to TCU or VT I could very much see him having Preston in tow. Who would I rather have Mordecai with 1 possibly 2 years remaining or Preston with 3 maybe 4 years? Preston, easy choice.
Last edited by CBpony on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:11 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Stone will get his shot next year at TCU with Dykes.

I think one item missing is who would SMU bring in to replace Dykes. If it's a sound coach then Stone might stay. Thats the perk of having a legacy.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CBpony » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:32 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Tanner is getting heisman hype. Are you insane

Bump. I stand by my OP. Tanner has reached his ceiling and his stats are padded due to weak competition and our NFL caliber receivers
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 pm

I still agree with you
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football