PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes to TCU??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny Dykes to TCU??

Postby PonyTime » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:57 am

Deion did help us out with Proche (and D Jr.)

But I think he would turn TCU into a dumpster fire - which is why I really hope that they hire him!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:04 am

With all the self appointed "Mustang Insiders" around here...will never forget the daily Columbo / Love Field / Private Airplane Tail Numbers recon when looking for Bennett's replacement, surprised there is not more Sonny intel. Mustangs Held Hostage - Day 25. BEAT UCF!! #PonyUP!
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:12 am

GHammond wrote:With all the self appointed "Mustang Insiders" around here...will never forget the daily Columbo / Love Field / Private Airplane Tail Numbers recon when looking for Bennett's replacement, surprised there is not more Sonny intel. Mustangs Held Hostage - Day 25. BEAT UCF!! #PonyUP!

Don’t have to fly to get to Fort Worth. But I doubt Sonny is going to FW. He already did that, and is now twisting in the wind.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby GHammond » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:19 am

I am a Sonny guy, but current rhythm of team performance coupled with this lengthy resign is beginning to wear thin. But, the die hard in me has me already fantasizing about an upset win in Cincy, a game which I will be attending. #BPS #ItsBeenALongJourney #BEATSomebody!
GHammond
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:33 pm

Dukie wrote:
GHammond wrote:With all the self appointed "Mustang Insiders" around here...will never forget the daily Columbo / Love Field / Private Airplane Tail Numbers recon when looking for Bennett's replacement, surprised there is not more Sonny intel. Mustangs Held Hostage - Day 25. BEAT UCF!! #PonyUP!

Don’t have to fly to get to Fort Worth. But I doubt Sonny is going to FW. He already did that, and is now twisting in the wind.

I agree with GHammond - it is time to activate the Purple Hippo.

(Sorry if this ^^^ confuses those who were not around for the previous searches)
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:02 pm

yep- we need the purple hippo on land, air and the internet (zoom, et al).

getting tired of being held hostage. go or stay. make up your mind.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:01 pm

How about a package deal - Dykes and Jankovich to TCU?
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:16 pm

This kind of talk is infuriating on one hand and deeply disappointing on the other. Dykes has done nothing but amazing things for this program - he deserves far more respect than this! I’m astounded at the childishness from supposed grown men.
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 pm

SSSign.jpg
SSSign.jpg (240.29 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Sonny Dykes to TCU??

Postby geezerdonk » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:01 pm

ponyboy wrote:This kind of talk is infuriating on one hand and deeply disappointing on the other. Dykes has done nothing but amazing things for this program - he deserves far more respect than this! I’m astounded at the childishness from supposed grown men.

You mean nothing but needlessly allowing and protracting and fueling speculation about leaving for TCU and needlessly distracting the team in the middle of what was then an undefeated season - all to leverage a contract for more money. Granted Dykes has seemed to improve recruiting and has attracted some good transfers but that hasn't translated into wins in competitive games. Sonny has made a lot of layups but he hasn't hit any mid-range jumpers much less any threes. How many games has he won against teams that were favored? How many games has he lost when SMU was favored? What has he done in bowl games?

Making no claim to grown man status.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:22 pm

geezerdonk wrote:You mean nothing but needlessly allowing and protracting and fueling speculation about leaving for TCU and needlessly distracting the team in the middle of what was then an undefeated season - all to leverage a contract for more money.

This is all second-hand, but I hear this isn't about money. The money is already on the table to make Sonny and his staff some of the highest – if not the highest – paid outside P5. The sticking point has been SMU's commitment to facilities upgrades. This is Sonny's opportunity to negotiate the things he feels are necessary to compete.

I for one would like to see something splashy announced, if for no other reason that is shows the Big-whatever and the other P5s that SMU means business.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Ditto the PUNCH.

Punch and counter punch.

The ole 1-2.

Sign Sonny Sign.
BUS

Postby Dukie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:12 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:This is all second-hand, but I hear this isn't about money. The money is already on the table to make Sonny and his staff some of the highest – if not the highest – paid outside P5. The sticking point has been SMU's commitment to facilities upgrades. This is Sonny's opportunity to negotiate the things he feels are necessary to compete.

I for one would like to see something splashy announced, if for no other reason that is shows the Big-whatever and the other P5s that SMU means business.

Are we going to run a full capital campaign while the issue of Sonny's continued employment remains uncertain? What can be achieved in terms of commitment in roughly a month that couldn't be achieved in the first week or two? Why hasn't TCU hired anyone else?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:22 pm

I don't think the TCU job is really that attractive. Not a big name P5 school. Maybe not even a P5 school in a few years. They are probably struggling to find someone they think is good enough who would take the job. Not really a step up for Sonny. If he wanted to step up there will be better options in the near future and suffering through a few bad years at frog pond would hurt his stock for those better jobs, if that is what he wants. If he just wants to coach college football at a program he can grow without excessive pressure and achieve success as well as being well compensated, he will stay put. We just have to make sure on the well compensated part and that he has the facilities/personnel that he wants.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby BUS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 pm

HubbaHubba is on to something... Me thinks!!!

Just win football games.
BUS

PreviousNext

Return to Football