PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes to TCU??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny Dykes to TCU??

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:21 pm

Figured I started the Dykes thread for Tech.

My guess is Art Briles or his son at Tech and Sonny at TCU because no one wants to coach in the upcoming dumpster fire of the new AAC aka CUSA 3.0.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Sonny Dykes to TCU??

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:29 pm

"If Dykes was to leave for either program, he favors TCU over Texas Tech at the moment, sources tell CBS Sports."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tcu-coaching-candidates-smus-sonny-dykes-topping-target-list-played-role-in-gary-pattersons-exit/amp/

"TCU coaching search: Group of 5 head coach is the target, per report"

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/tcu-coaching-search-group-of-5-head-coach-is-the-target-per-report/amp/

Well guys I guess we are pretty much butt ****ed at this point. I could see Rick going full moron and giving the HC job to Riley after putting the [deleted] conference after 3 big dogs leaving.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:03 am

If Sonny takes the TCU job, he might take both his coordinators with him and I expect they would all see pay raises. Patterson was grossly overpaid
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:25 am

And the obvious question is....would we take Patterson?..no he might not be our first choice....but if he wants to continue coaching somebody is going to grab him....do we have any interest?....yes we've all made fun of him....maybe the game has passed him by?.....but his over-all record is pretty impressive....he knows the Texas high school recruiting.....I am NOT saying we should hire him....just want to know what people think about that scenario? It's easy to say NO NO NO...but If Traylor says no...if Apple/Biden says no, if fired LSU coach says no, if Saban says no, if Skip Holtz says no, if the guy at Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns says no....under any scenario would we want Patterson?.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:42 am

ha. I am sure the reactions here will be crazy. actually I wouldn't mind having him as coach. His record proves he is a winner. Yes, he is a bit eccentric but then most coaches are in some way.
I really hope that SD will stay but that seems more and more unlikely.
Again, we can all thank our AD who has been anything but proactive excepting running off bball fans with his reseats.
redpony

Postby MV pony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 am

He would do well in the new AAC. I'd be happy to give him a try.
MV pony
All-American

Postby MV pony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:54 am

Big incentive for SD to win out the season. Big losses at Memphis, UCF and Sin could kill his TCU/TT prospects. And he seems to have a hard time making a decision in the heat of the moment. If he wants the TCU/TT job, he just might make some really bad coaching decisions.
MV pony
All-American

Postby SMULaxer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 am

No chance I'd want GP in Dallas.

This isn't the same 2014 coach. Look at his last three years. We can do better.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:06 am

If Sonny leaves, (and for the record I want him to stay here with us) my list of replacements would be:

1. Joe Brady
2. Hugh Freeze (scandalous but he’s a winner)
3. Jason Garrett (his problem with the Cowboys was Jerry).

None of which are likely, but would be outstanding hires.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:16 am

If sonny leaves, it would be Traylor for me but sadly we would have to pay a big buyout for him. Hopefully we get an acceptance from Sonny. Either yay or nay so fans don't waste their time driving to Memphis for a debacle.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am

I doubt if SD will say anything before the end of the season. Obviously all the turmoil will cause the team to be less than focused and likely result in at least two or more losses.
redpony

Postby indianmustang » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:34 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:47 am

redpony wrote:I doubt if SD will say anything before the end of the season. Obviously all the turmoil will cause the team to be less than focused and likely result in at least two or more losses.

This should have already been handled. I'm a fan of Rick Hart's, but this debacle falls squarely in his lap.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:52 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:And the obvious question is....would we take Patterson?..no he might not be our first choice....but if he wants to continue coaching somebody is going to grab him....do we have any interest?....yes we've all made fun of him....maybe the game has passed him by?.....but his over-all record is pretty impressive....he knows the Texas high school recruiting.....I am NOT saying we should hire him....just want to know what people think about that scenario? It's easy to say NO NO NO...but If Traylor says no...if Apple/Biden says no, if fired LSU coach says no, if Saban says no, if Skip Holtz says no, if the guy at Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns says no....under any scenario would we want Patterson?.

Ogeron is not a good cultural fit for SMU. He's perfect for the Louisiana job if that opens up.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 am

If Sonny wants to go to TCU, then trade him for Patterson, an assistant coach to be named later,
and whatever buyout Sonny has on his contract. Maybe we could forget about the assistant to be
named later. :wink:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football