PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny says his uncertain status has not been a distraction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny says his uncertain status has not been a distraction

Postby Dukie » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Dukie
Heisman

Re: Sonny says his uncertain status has not been a distracti

Postby SMUGradCox » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 pm

I completely disagree with Sonny here. While I still want to retain him very much, he's wrong here.
SMUGradCox
Scout Team

Postby Lefty » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:01 am

Here probably doesn't believe it, either, but it's what he had to say.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:25 am

Coach speak and he could shut it down right away if he was truly committed to SMU long term
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:31 am

CP- agree. IMO he should have said he is committed to SMU and is trying to work out the details on their latest offer. That would at least leave the door open if he wants to leave.
redpony

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:36 am

honestly think we're just facing better teams and the injuries to Ali and Bentley hurt.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:49 am

If he truly believes that, he is delusional :!:

He's slowly ripping his jeans, much like June did quickly with Arizona St. June stayed, and
recruiting suffered. Multi-starred recruits want to know that the coaches that recruited
them will be around when they are playing at the school they liked, and chose.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Specktaker » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:11 pm

redpony wrote:CP- agree. IMO he should have said he is committed to SMU and is trying to work out the details on their latest offer. That would at least leave the door open if he wants to leave.

Very curious that he hasn’t handled it this way isn’t it. It would have appeased the team and the fans while putting a little negotiation pressure on tech or frog. I hope not but the only rational reason I can figure is that he has already committed to one or the other.
Specktaker

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 pm

While his November losses mount up, Sonny will turn to mostly cloudy. Tech, and TCU alumni will
revolt like the Arizona State alums did.

We will be stuck with non-committed damaged goods like JJ became :!:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:49 pm

PlanoStang wrote:While his November losses mount up, Sonny will turn to mostly cloudy. Tech, and TCU alumni will

The only difference being JJ was a fish out of water living in Texas whereas Sonny might ultimately be convinced to stay on long term at SMU and actually be content being here.
Charleston Pony

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:09 pm

redpony wrote:CP- agree. IMO he should have said he is committed to SMU and is trying to work out the details on their latest offer. That would at least leave the door open if he wants to leave.

Would be nice, but coaches rarely talk about a contract until an official announcement is made.

Lebanese4Life wrote:honestly think we're just facing better teams and the injuries to Ali and Bentley hurt.

True
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:44 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:While his November losses mount up, Sonny will turn to mostly cloudy. Tech, and TCU alumni will

The only difference being JJ was a fish out of water living in Texas whereas Sonny might ultimately be convinced to stay on long term at SMU and actually be content being here.

With each passing minute and hour without a commitment to a new SMU contract, he
is showing he's no better than Chad or JJ :!:

Just a stepping stone coach who LIED to us about commitment :!: Multi-starred recruits won't
COMMIT to an obvious stepping stone coach :!:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:45 pm

If Sonny bails, we will find out soon enough whether the top guys in this class are about Sonny & his staff or whether they like what SMU has to offer. Will be important to get a replacement in ASAP to hopefully retain this class and maybe add some quality transfers. Big key will be to retain Coach Samples no matter what Sonny does!
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Unlike JJ and Chad, Sonny Dykes has managed to bring a greater deal of success to SMU by recruiting Texas and in particular DFW talent. In addition, he has made SMU a landing spot for D-1 transfer talent. In that aspect, he is a stand-alone post DP. The consistent late-season collapse(s) are an issue that wasn't addressed or rectified with either JJ or CM either. There are three more games to demonstrate a different trend.

Shy of a kickoff return and a pick, we are looking at undefeated. I am GLAD we have fans and folks on this site that are up in arms for the losses, instead of JJ's "I penciled that in as a loss" attitude. We have arrived at the destination called "expectations". It's a good place to be, considering where we were 5 years ago.

I hope and believe he will stay. SMU has been a place where his career as a HC has been restored after the Cal nightmare. That said, I am glad other schools want him...it shows we have someone of value. Unlike JJ and Chad, we'll see if he is someone who values SMU for more than a paycheck.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:35 pm

peruna81 wrote:Unlike JJ and Chad, Sonny Dykes has managed to bring a greater deal of success to SMU by recruiting Texas and in particular DFW talent. In addition, he has made SMU a landing spot for D-1 transfer talent. In that aspect, he is a stand-alone post DP. The consistent late-season collapse(s) are an issue that wasn't addressed or rectified with either JJ or CM either. There are three more games to demonstrate a different trend.

Shy of a kickoff return and a pick, we are looking at undefeated. I am GLAD we have fans and folks on this site that are up in arms for the losses, instead of JJ's "I penciled that in as a loss" attitude. We have arrived at the destination called "expectations". It's a good place to be, considering where we were 5 years ago.

I hope and believe he will stay. SMU has been a place where his career as a HC has been restored after the Cal nightmare. That said, I am glad other schools want him...it shows we have someone of value. Unlike JJ and Chad, we'll see if he is someone who values SMU for more than a paycheck.

Diito :wink:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football