PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny says his uncertain status has not been a distraction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny says his uncertain status has not been a distracti

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:07 am

peruna81 wrote:Unlike JJ and Chad, Sonny Dykes has managed to bring a greater deal of success to SMU by recruiting Texas and in particular DFW talent. In addition, he has made SMU a landing spot for D-1 transfer talent. In that aspect, he is a stand-alone post DP. The consistent late-season collapse(s) are an issue that wasn't addressed or rectified with either JJ or CM either. There are three more games to demonstrate a different trend.

Shy of a kickoff return and a pick, we are looking at undefeated. I am GLAD we have fans and folks on this site that are up in arms for the losses, instead of JJ's "I penciled that in as a loss" attitude. We have arrived at the destination called "expectations". It's a good place to be, considering where we were 5 years ago.

I hope and believe he will stay. SMU has been a place where his career as a HC has been restored after the Cal nightmare. That said, I am glad other schools want him...it shows we have someone of value. Unlike JJ and Chad, we'll see if he is someone who values SMU for more than a paycheck.

Well said, but let's also not underestimate the impact of the new NIL rules on making SMU an attractive place to play. As long as we have wealthy alumni wanting to restore the football and bball programs to the level they once were, anything is possible..
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stlpony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:31 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
peruna81 wrote:Unlike JJ and Chad, Sonny Dykes has managed to bring a greater deal of success to SMU by recruiting Texas and in particular DFW talent. In addition, he has made SMU a landing spot for D-1 transfer talent. In that aspect, he is a stand-alone post DP. The consistent late-season collapse(s) are an issue that wasn't addressed or rectified with either JJ or CM either. There are three more games to demonstrate a different trend.

Shy of a kickoff return and a pick, we are looking at undefeated. I am GLAD we have fans and folks on this site that are up in arms for the losses, instead of JJ's "I penciled that in as a loss" attitude. We have arrived at the destination called "expectations". It's a good place to be, considering where we were 5 years ago.

I hope and believe he will stay. SMU has been a place where his career as a HC has been restored after the Cal nightmare. That said, I am glad other schools want him...it shows we have someone of value. Unlike JJ and Chad, we'll see if he is someone who values SMU for more than a paycheck.

Well said, but let's also not underestimate the impact of the new NIL rules on making SMU an attractive place to play. As long as we have wealthy alumni wanting to restore the football and bball programs to the level they once were, anything is possible..

By all accounts, it sounds like SMU is willing to open its checkbook. The facilities and butts in seats are less than ideal, but the salary isn't that big of a difference. SMU is in a good position; a long-term coach or a highly desirable opening...we will know soon enough!
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:19 pm

I have to say - if Sonny is offered the TCU job and turns it down to stay at SMU that will be a pretty solid tool in his pocket every time we are up against the Frogs in a recruiting battle (of course - it works the other way as well!).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:55 pm

Sonny has been such an enormous asset for this university. I too think he’ll stay and in the process get the upgrades we need - assistant pay, facilities - as well as the increased salary he personally deserves.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:58 pm

does anybody know if SD has actually had a formal interview with tc-who? Obviously taco throwers are no longer an option.
Any idea when we will have a decision? One post said that he was given a Tuesday deadline to decide- question the accuracy but it is possible, in which case we should know tomorrow.
The uncertainty not only affects a lot of the players but more importantly future committed recruits.
redpony

Postby stlpony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:56 pm

redpony wrote:does anybody know if SD has actually had a formal interview with tc-who? Obviously taco throwers are no longer an option.
Any idea when we will have a decision? One post said that he was given a Tuesday deadline to decide- question the accuracy but it is possible, in which case we should know tomorrow.
The uncertainty not only affects a lot of the players but more importantly future committed recruits.

Frogs O’ War stated TCU has interviewed 7 candidates last week and are continuing this week. I think both schools want this resolved sooner than later.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick :!: Being glad that JJ stayed after Arizona State, I
remember all of the posts on here afterwards saying that JJ didn't really want to be at SMU :!:

Eventually led to such a negative atmosphere that JJ pulled the chicken ring, and bailed out of
an unrecoverable stall :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:13 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick :!: Being glad that JJ stayed after Arizona State, I
remember all of the posts on here afterwards saying that JJ didn't really want to be at SMU :!:

Eventually led to such a negative atmosphere that JJ pulled the chicken ring, and bailed out of
an unrecoverable stall :!: :!:

June didn’t choose to stay. ASU ended up not offering. It was the worst possible outcome.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:04 am

I remember June Jones’s son came on ponyfans and announced who he was and ripped into SMU. How much his family hated us. Thereafter JJ lost the ASU job when their alumni rose up and squashed the deal. JJ walked off early in the season. He was back at his beloved Hawaii as an assistant to a high school football team. He bounced around at Canada, then some other goofy football venue. JJ showed he was a quitter; no reputable organization hired him. The lesson is, when you leave a job do it with dignity.

Oh, by the way, he was the highest paid none P5 football conference coach (or close to it) and made millions off of SMU.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:11 am

Don't forget JJ brought us Mrs. Pickens Geldings.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyTime » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:24 am

EastStang wrote:Don't forget JJ brought us Mrs. Pickens Geldings.

Perhaps it is time for SMU athletics to ask for a donation from Mrs. Pickens.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 pm

PonyTime wrote:
EastStang wrote:Don't forget JJ brought us Mrs. Pickens Geldings.

Perhaps it is time for SMU athletics to ask for a donation from Mrs. Pickens.

More dog food?

That was yet another forgettable moment in Mustang history. Ranks up there with Dave Smith's "Ohio State" uniform change.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GoStangs11 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:41 pm

bubba pony wrote:I remember June Jones’s son came on ponyfans and announced who he was and ripped into SMU. How much his family hated us. Thereafter JJ lost the ASU job when their alumni rose up and squashed the deal. JJ walked off early in the season. He was back at his beloved Hawaii as an assistant to a high school football team. He bounced around at Canada, then some other goofy football venue. JJ showed he was a quitter; no reputable organization hired him. The lesson is, when you leave a job do it with dignity.

Oh, by the way, he was the highest paid none P5 football conference coach (or close to it) and made millions off of SMU.

Agreed on your last point. I dont recall JJ's son - can anyone link the thread or perhaps some keywords we could search to read it?
GoStangs11
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm

IIRC his son stated on a social media site that JJ told him the SMU program was the 'sh!tt!est' in the country. I think shortly after his son posted the comments it was quickly removed.
My grandaughter knew JJ jr. as they went to school (PCA) together and a close friend of hers was his GF at the time. She confirmed that impression to me as well.

If you want to verify you might search pf for comments about JJ during that time frame.
Hope that helps.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Yes I remember JJ's son coming on and blasting all things SMU. Difficult for him to see and acknowledge that his father had quit while still employed and basically burned the program down. Stallion was correct during JJ's tenure in pointing out that he had just been lazy at recruiting, the life blood of any college program. I think his ego caused him to believe that players would be lining up wanting to come to SMU and play for him and he I recall he was not well thought of by too many DFW H.S. coaches who claimed he had all but ignored their kids.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football