PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

For those with short memories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

For those with short memories

Postby SMUstang » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:05 pm

The won/loss percentages for SMU coaches since the dp:

Dykes - 64.4%
Jones - 46.8%
Cavan - 39.3%
Morris - 37.8%
Bennett - 25.7%
Rossley - 23.8%
Gregg - 13.6%
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: For those with short memories

Postby BUS » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:32 pm

I just want to see dry ink on paper.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:21 pm

SMUstang wrote:The won/loss percentages for SMU coaches since the dp:

Dykes - 64.4%
Jones - 46.8%
Cavan - 39.3%
Morris - 37.8%
Bennett - 25.7%
Rossley - 23.8%
Gregg - 13.6%

Every one of those guys, except Gregg, made some improvements in the SMU football program they took over. JJ inherited an improved program from Bennett. Dykes inherited an improved program from Morris. Let's hope either Sonny stays and can sustain and/or improve on that winning percentage (how nice would it be to say 8-4 was a "down" year?) or his successor goes to the top of your list.
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Gregg won 3 games in 2 years when we were NOT supposed to win a game in 5 years :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:17 pm

SMUstang wrote:The won/loss percentages for SMU coaches since the dp:

Dykes - 64.4%
Jones - 46.8%
Cavan - 39.3%
Morris - 37.8%
Bennett - 25.7%
Rossley - 23.8%
Gregg - 13.6%

I realize G Hammond wants to tar and feather Dykes, but to the extent this is directed at me, I'll say that I like and appreciate Coach Dykes and I hope he stays. He's just not been able to deliver the really big wins that SMU needs to truly garner attention. Yet.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:39 pm

On Saturday, we lost to a Memphis team that had lost four of its previous five games, including to Temple (now 3-6) who lost 52-3 to Cincinnati and 49-7 to Central Florida. Temple threw for 322 yards against Memphis, comparable to SMU's 321.
Temple rushed for 157 yards, compared to SMU's 57 yards, although if you ignore Mordecai's stats, our backs rushed 19 times for 79 yards. I don't fault our running backs, they ran hard against the Tigers but it wasn't as though our offensive line was gashing their defense.
And watching Memphis convert five of seven fourth-downs was difficult to stomach. And yes, I went ballistic on those two second-half phantom pass-interference calls but three costly turnovers proved to be impossible to overcome.
I'm not complaining about a 7-2 record but is this yet another late-season collapse? The fan base's frustration is in the last two games we have simply not lived up to expectations.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:54 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Gregg won 3 games in 2 years when we were NOT supposed to win a game in 5 years :!:

I suppose starting from scratch there was nowhere to go but up :lol: In his defense, Gregg had to coach that 1st team against SWC level competition
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:02 pm

In Greggs defense. He had no coaching experience. He had a team full of small walk-ons going up against seasoned SWC opponents.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:16 pm

SMUstang wrote:In Greggs defense. He had no coaching experience. He had a team full of small walk-ons going up against seasoned SWC opponents.

We will be forever grateful for Forrest Gregg and his commitment to SMU at our darkest hour,

From Wikipedia:

Gregg resigned from the Packers in January 1988 and took a pay cut to take over at SMU, his alma mater. He was brought in to revive the Mustang football program after it received the "death penalty" from the NCAA for massive violations of NCAA rules. Though the NCAA had only canceled the 1987 season, school officials later opted to cancel the 1988 season due to fears that fielding a competitive team would be impossible; nearly every letterman from the 1986 squad had transferred elsewhere. Gregg knew that any new coach would be essentially rebuilding the program from scratch, but when acting president William Stalcup asked him to return, he felt he could not refuse.

As it turned out, when Gregg arrived, he was presented with a severely undersized and underweight roster composed mostly of freshmen. Gregg was taller and heavier than nearly the entire 70-man squad. The team was so short on offensive linemen that Gregg had to make several wide receivers bulk up and switch to the line. By nearly all accounts, the Mustangs attempting to play the 1988 season under such conditions would have been unthinkable.

In 1989, the Mustangs went 2–9, including a 95–21 thrashing by Houston—the second-worst loss in school history. In that game, eventual Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware threw six touchdown passes in the first half, and David Klingler added four more in the second, even with the game long out of reach. Gregg was so disgusted that he refused to shake Houston coach Jack Pardee's hand after the game. Nonetheless, Gregg reflected fondly on the experience. In a 2012 interview with The New York Times, he said the players on the two teams he coached should have had their numbers retired for restoring dignity to the program. "I never coached a group of kids that had more courage," he said. "They thought that they could play with anyone. They were quality people. It was one of the most pleasurable experiences in my football life. Period."

After the season, Gregg was named SMU's athletic director. The Mustangs went 1–10 in 1990, and after the season, he resigned as coach to focus on his duties as athletic director. Gregg's coaching record at SMU was 3–19, and he served as athletic director until 1994.

Career highlights and awards
    3× Super Bowl champion (I, II, VI)
    6x NFL champion (1961, 1962, 1965–1967), Super Bowl VI
    7× First-team All-Pro (1960, 1962–1967)
    2× Second-team All-Pro (1959, 1961)
    9× Pro Bowl (1959–1964, 1966–1968)
    AP NFL Coach of the Year (1975)
    NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
    NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
    NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team
    Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame
    SMU Mustangs Jersey No. 73 honored
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:03 am

SMUstang wrote:In Greggs defense. He had no coaching experience. He had a team full of small walk-ons going up against seasoned SWC opponents.

You meant to say no "college" coaching experience, right?
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:43 am

My recollection was that he came right from the Green Bay Packers offensive line. I forgot that he coached under Vince Lombardi for a year or two.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby GHammond » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:59 am

No tar and feather...would just like to see the cat beat somebody...that's all. #Don'tYou?
GHammond
Varsity

Postby SMUstang » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:48 am

TCU is a start. That felt pretty good.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:51 am

SMUstang wrote:TCU is a start. That felt pretty good.

And this SMU team dominated TCU at the line of scrimmage in that game. The same TCU team that whipped the same Texas Tech team that whipped Houston. Go figure. You never know what you are going to get from week to week
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:08 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:TCU is a start. That felt pretty good.

And this SMU team dominated TCU at the line of scrimmage in that game. The same TCU team that whipped the same Texas Tech team that whipped Houston. Go figure. You never know what you are going to get from week to week

Sort of like a box of chocolates.

:lol:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Football