PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OK….It’s Quasi 1980 Folks…Just Dropped 2 Straight

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OK….It’s Quasi 1980 Folks…Just Dropped 2 Straight

Postby GHammond » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:24 pm

After starting 4-0…time for Lance….start Preston V Cincy and just sit back. SMU 20 Cincy 6.
GHammond
Varsity

Re: OK….It’s Quasi 1980 Folks…Just Dropped 2 Straight

Postby peruna81 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Nicely played for us older folks, but let's get past UCF before we go there...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Oh. You recommend completely changing the offense in midseason? Do you know anything about that 80 team? You are aware that the QB situation wasn't determined until Wed before the game? A competition between Mike Fisher and Lance was ongoing during the week. The only thing known for sure was Ford wouldn't be the starter. It was determining passing vs running.

The 1980 team's opening offense was a balanced mix of passing and running. During mid week of the Texas game the decision to go to a predominately running game was put into affect.

Lance was a fantastic running QB. Fisher was a passer. He started in '79 against A$M and was throwing the ball well until he suffered a shoulder location.

But the biggest difference was we had an all Sr offensive line with significant starting experience and knew how to run block. Oh, they were also the second largest starting O line in college FB behind USC that year.

Watch the 80 game. Lance hands the ball off. He doesn't make a mistake. He has a great game. But its the O line is the group cutting the Texas defense to shreds between the tackles.

What happen in 80 was a near miracle. Credit the coaches for recognizing the offense's greatest asset was its O line, not the QB.

Changing QBs while running the same offense is at best a minor change. You have the same O line, the same injured starting RB and the same offense.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:02 pm

Lance was a triple option QB vs. Mike Ford's passing like Mordecai. Lance's reading the defense and
pitching accurately at the last second, and taking the hit as a freshman I think took Texas by
surprise to win the game.

Surprise, and adapting to opponents was a trait I liked in Hayden Fry, and Ron Meyer.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:11 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Lance was a triple option QB vs. Mike Ford's passing like Mordecai. Lance's reading the defense and
pitching accurately at the last second, and taking the hit as a freshman I think took Texas by

Surprise, and adapting to opponents was a trait I liked in Hayden Fry, and Ron Meyer.

Lance was fantastic. But his option talent wasn't in play that today. There was no triple option. All pitches were called pitches. I still have my offensive game plan for the 80 Texas game. Asking a freshmen with little college experience to run a true option with only one real day of practice for an option wasn't practical. Also, the O line hadn't been practicing for a true option. The O line was very well prepared for straight up run blocking

I get the analogy. It is reminisce of a great period in SMU football history. But the win wasn't because of a QB. The other huge factor was a shut down Defense. Texas didn't score a single TD and was shut out in the 2nd half. The D also deserves the lion share of credit.
ponyte

Postby peruna81 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:55 pm

ponyte wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:Lance was a triple option QB vs. Mike Ford's passing like Mordecai. Lance's reading the defense and

Lance was fantastic. But his option talent wasn't in play that today. There was no triple option. All pitches were called pitches. I still have my offensive game plan for the 80 Texas game. Asking a freshmen with little college experience to run a true option with only one real day of practice for an option wasn't practical. Also, the O line hadn't been practicing for a true option. The O line was very well prepared for straight up run blocking

I get the analogy. It is reminisce of a great period in SMU football history. But the win wasn't because of a QB. The other huge factor was a shut down Defense. Texas didn't score a single TD and was shut out in the 2nd half. The D also deserves the lion share of credit.

all true, my friend...but it would all be for naught without THE BLOCK
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:19 am

Mrydell... what's the next line?

Where did fisher come from originally?

Smu has been distracted the lady couple of weeks.

Focus and win.
Last edited by BUS on Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyTime » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:41 am

As you compare that team to this year's - these guys would like to say hello . . .

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:30 am

Macro concept…a spark, a change, a wake up call, a new wrinkle….”were you there…are you recommending a complete reorientation of the….” No, just a spark, for a team that is fading, fast.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:20 am

Preston can't play cornerback and safety at the same time.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Arkpony » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:04 am

Good one!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Preston can't play cornerback and safety at the same time.

True but if Sonny stays and this recruiting class stays together SMU just might have some stud DBs of the future coming in soon, not to mention Preston having some favorite targets to throw to!
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:14 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Preston can't play cornerback and safety at the same time.
If he did would we notice a difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Football