PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cincinnati Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cincinnati Game Thread

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:00 pm

mustangxc wrote:Is this the most embarrassing performance in SMU football history?

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA :!: :!: :!:

I think that award goes to a Houston game in 89, or a something like 200 - 3 loss to Rice I think
in the first years of SMU football.

This game reminded me of a Bennett coached game with Oklahoma State.
Last edited by PlanoStang on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:09 am

Sonny is beginning to remind me more and more of Wade Phillips, a guy who’s dad was a pretty good head coach.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:04 am

stlpony wrote:SMU is in a better position today versus the day Sonny came on campus. And, SMU will be better four years from now than where we are today...this includes our coaching staff. I believe SMU is doing its part to attract and obtain a long-term coach. Sonny and crew were absolutely [deleted] today...I'm sure the coaching staff wanted better, I'm sure the SMU athletic department wanted better, and I'm also sure TCU wanted a different outcome.

My hope is that TCU has to pay a large buyout and we put that money to good use. Also, this program is a lot more than a single individual. Losing good coaches to good schools is a positive endorsement for our school. Losing Sonny will suck, but honestly, I had similar thoughts when Chad left. As an optimist, I continue to believe we are on the right trajectory and SMU will be a desirable addition to a new conference. And, if we were fortunate enough to join the B12 (or whatever), nobody on this forum will care whether or not Sonny is the head coach. The new conference is the goal; not our current coaching staff or losing to a good Cincinnati team.

Super optimism stlpony! Once you get 2 or 3 red horseshoes you will understand the frustration. What insight do you have that we are going to be better in 4 years?

We were excited by the last 2 hires - we saw a glimmer of hope in some top 25 rankings - but are now smart enough to know now - that is smoke due to soft schedule and some lucky bounces (LA Tech).

The goal is conference championships and end of season rankings. We have controlled our own destiny the past couple years and could not get it done.

The 3 teams that are going to the Big XII shared or won the American Conference regular season title in 2013/14 and have had 2 or 3 appearances in the American Conference Championship game since 2015. There are 2 that fit in that category that did not get an invite. Temple - which geographically does not make sense, and Memphis which must have been 1000's of a point from making it with their 3 appearances, all those were under Norvell. Must have been a toss up between them and UCF and Florida geography/market must have won out.

SMU has had zero appearances and were out of the running by early to mid-November when we turned our attention to turkey, the Cowboys, and SMU Basketball. Until we can start to compete for conference championships, no conference will want to add us to increase their strength. The only slim option would be a geographic add so local alumni for the visiting team can see their teams play (and most likely beat the crap out of us - see Baylor, Texas Tech, A&M games 10 to 15 years ago).
smitty329
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:17 am

smitty329 wrote:Until we can start to compete for conference championships, no conference will want to add us to increase their strength. The only slim option would be a geographic add so local alumni for the visiting team can see their teams play (and most likely beat the crap out of us - see Baylor, Texas Tech, A&M games 10 to 15 years ago).

Good news for the next coach - we should be able to compete for championships as we don't have to play UCF, Houston and Cincy - three teams that we usually take an L against.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:26 am

IMO this game showed that the coaches had quit on the team and the team on their fans.
And people honestly wonder why we can't draw the Dallas fans to watch our fball games? This performance gives you the answer.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football