PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fire Rick Hart

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fire Rick Hart

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:58 am

MV pony wrote:Getting rid of RGT will take care of Hart.

Both need to go to "The Train Station"
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:58 pm

mrydel wrote:
redpony wrote:Unhappy now, just wait until he gives our incompetent bball coach a new contract. The last 3 yrs we have finished 4th, 9th and 9th in the AAC. That doesn't show progress in a bottom tier league. Yes, this yr. might be ok but even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

Compare that to what Pitino has done at Iona the last several years.
Red, I agree with your post but you need to delete the last sentence. Pitino (who I was screaming for) has only been at Iona for 1 year. Finished 9th in his conference. Off to a good start this year at 10-2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9th based on total wins with a 6-3 record not winning percentage (which they would have been second in the conference if they had gone that route). It was also his first year and they won the conference tournament title landing them in the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:58 pm

mustangxc wrote:9th based on total wins with a 6-3 record not winning percentage (which they would have been second in the conference if they had gone that route). It was also his first year and they won the conference tournament title landing them in the NCAA tournament.

he ended up 9th twice. how many 'first years' are you giving him? Plus a lot of his total w-l record reflects the wins with LB's players which grossly overstates his wins.
But then again there are many here who love being losers or not winning championships and they are lovingly embraced by our mediocre RGT and his lap boy.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 pm

Calm down Red. He is talking about Pitino. My only intention was to point out he has not performed for several years at Iona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:12 pm

redpony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:9th based on total wins with a 6-3 record not winning percentage (which they would have been second in the conference if they had gone that route). It was also his first year and they won the conference tournament title landing them in the NCAA tournament.

he ended up 9th twice. how many 'first years' are you giving him? Plus a lot of his total w-l record reflects the wins with LB's players which grossly overstates his wins.
But then again there are many here who love being losers or not winning championships and they are lovingly embraced by our mediocre RGT and his lap boy.

You really are easily triggered! I was defending Pitino as he did meet if not exceed expectations at Iona despite a "9th place finish" in the conference standings.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:56 pm

sorry-thought you were defending jank
redpony

Postby Hoss » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:12 pm

redpony wrote:Unhappy now, just wait until he gives our incompetent bball coach a new contract. The last 3 yrs we have finished 4th, 9th and 9th in the AAC. That doesn't show progress in a bottom tier league. Yes, this yr. might be ok but even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

Or a coach with a full, healthy roster wins more than he did when he played with a roster limited by scholarships and probation.
Call it what you will.
Like the rest of us, he's far from perfect, but objectivity takes a permanent hiatus around here when talking about Jank.
Hoss
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:37 am

I mean, it’s the perfect recipe for discontent. Take a HOF coach, one of the best ever, and follow him up with a decent coach who not only has to live up to outrageous expectations, but who also has to clean up the mess left by the first guy. Add a little dash of typical SMU spoiled-brat arrogance and voila!
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:15 am

I agree it's tough replacing a HOF coach and I can't think of many (if any) instances of coaches that have fared well as that "next guy".

If Jank can get this year's team in to the NCAA and manage to rebuild the roster to be just as competitive next year, I will be impressed. As much as I like this year's team as they seemingly continue to improve, it's going to be a huge challenge replacing all the outgoing seniors next year. I suppose the transfer portal and new rules have a lot to do with it, so we'll see if Jank and his staff can deliver
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:24 am

Hoss wrote:

Or a coach with a full, healthy roster wins more than he did when he played with a roster limited by scholarships and probation.

Don't forget the injuries too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:50 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I agree it's tough replacing a HOF coach and I can't think of many (if any) instances of coaches that have fared well as that "next guy".

If Jank can get this year's team in to the NCAA and manage to rebuild the roster to be just as competitive next year, I will be impressed. As much as I like this year's team as they seemingly continue to improve, it's going to be a huge challenge replacing all the outgoing seniors next year. I suppose the transfer portal and new rules have a lot to do with it, so we'll see if Jank and his staff can deliver

Ohio State is one obvious example, Tressel to Meyer to Day. Miami is another, Schnellenberger to Johnson to Erickson to to Davis. KU is another, Williams to Self. It's all about picking the right replacement. While nobody can expect Jankovich to be Brown, he drove the program off a cliff. He has steadily rebuilt the roster into the level he is capable of which is basically NIT. Jankovich consistently had Illinois State in the NIT and now has SMU consistently at an NIT level. If we get extraordinarily lucky and win the conference tournament we would make the NCAA tournament this season but more likely than not, we will be in the NIT this season. We were in the NIT last season, and probably would have been in the NIT the year before that. We don't have an incredible crop of recruits to make me think we will be better next year so hopefully we would be able to make the NIT next year too. Historically the NIT is an above average season for SMU, but no one has had the resources that Jankovich has had. Jankovich inherited the best team in the last 40 years at SMU along with a brand new state of the art practice facility, remodeled Moody, sold out crowds, name recognition, a great basketball conference, and frankly pissed it down the drain. SMU basketball at this point no longer has any momentum that was built up during the Brown years. So comparing Jankovich to previous SMU coaches is not apples to apples just like comparing Tom Rossley and Mike Cavan to Sonny Dykes is not apples to apples.
mustangxc

Postby SMUFan » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I agree it's tough replacing a HOF coach and I can't think of many (if any) instances of coaches that have fared well as that "next guy".

There is a popular refrain in sports that says "you never want to be the guy who follows a legend (player or coach). You want to be the guy who follows the guy who followed the legend." Jank was hand-picked by LB, who knows more about hoops than all of us combined. He also left Jank to clean up a mess while on probation and with limited scholarships.

Charleston Pony is right about the changes in the game and the roster turnover that awaits. Seems like that will be the norm every year in every sport. The transfer portal will be critical every year for every team. For the time being, this team is really fun to watch and getting better.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 pm

far too many of you have set your levels of expectations too low. I call it the RGT ‘let’s be average at best’ syndrome. Defending Tank is a reflection of this.

SMU had the 4th winningest percentage in college BB
SMU had sell-out crowds
SMU had Moody Madness

LB handed Tank the keys to a Ferrari. tank promptly drives it over a cliff by giving us

Nat Dixon - Not Ranked
Everett Ray - ranked 354
Byrce Cook - ranked 344
Darrius McBride - ranked 355
Jahmar Young - 367
Curtis White - Not Ranked

Posters like Jason gave glowing write-ups about any one of these would become contributing pieces to our teams. I suspect several posters on this thread shook their heads in agreement.

More realistic posters thought otherwise.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:00 pm

My argument in favor of Jankovich is that we have only made the NCAA tournament 12 times in our history and have made the NIT 4 times in our history. In total 16 seasons of meaningful postseason tournaments. Jankovich has led us to 2 of those so relative to our history he has been a solid coach.

My arguement against Jankovich is that Larry Brown led us to the NIT Final in what really should have been an NCAA tournament bid, then the NCAA tournament, then had us in line for another NCAA tournament bid if not for the postseason sanctions and handed Jankovich an elite roster which he managed to lead to the NCAA tournament but that should have been at least a Sweet 16 appearance if not a Final Four run. He was handed sold out crowds for all of our home games, and managed to run off the crowds (primarily Hart's fault) and failed to sustain solid recruiting (not asking for elite recruits, but definitely better than what we got for a few years) despite having elite talent on the roster which is the biggest nugget to attracting more elite talent. After a downward spiral we have rebounded into a solid NIT roster. Which gets me back to my argument in favor of Jankovich.

The bottom line is SMU needs to clearly define its goals. Are we aspiring to be a perennial NCAA tournament team or are we aspiring to be an NIT team? Based on the re-seat we were told SMU's peers are Villanova, Kansas, etc. Based on everything else we are happy to be peers with Rice, Tulsa, and Tulane. Charging Rolex prices for a Timex is a great business model if your fan base is stupid enough to tolerate that. Maybe some of you are, but I don't think many of our fans became successful accepting that type of proposition. Everything SMU has done in football and basketball up to now, leads me to believe we are extraordinarily excited about being a 6-8 win team in football and NIT caliber in basketball. If we want more than that we need to do more.
mustangxc

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:37 pm

mustangxc wrote:The bottom line is SMU needs to clearly define its goals. Are we aspiring to be a perennial NCAA tournament team or are we aspiring to be an NIT team? Based on the re-seat we were told SMU's peers are Villanova, Kansas, etc. Based on everything else we are happy to be peers with Rice, Tulsa, and Tulane. Charging Rolex prices for a Timex is a great business model if your fan base is stupid enough to tolerate that. Maybe some of you are, but I don't think many of our fans became successful accepting that type of proposition. Everything SMU has done in football and basketball up to now, leads me to believe we are extraordinarily excited about being a 6-8 win team in football and NIT caliber in basketball. If we want more than that we need to do more.

YES!!! Define goals! However that's scary and might result in failure...but then we might learn something.

Yet year after year we achieve our current goal: "compete for championships". The way I see it, the only way to not compete for championships is opt out of the season.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football