PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is Sonny being allowed to coach tomorrow?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is Sonny being allowed to coach tomorrow?

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:14 am

He is as bad as JJ.- recruiting for the opposition while being paid by SMU. At least JJ got us to some decent bowl games (and won).
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:00 am

ponyboy wrote:I’ll try to slow it down for you, Dukie.

If I recall correctly, he has the second best winning percentage in SMU history. He got us a 10 win season, beat TCU twice, was a master of recruiting, and had us ranked for quite a few weeks over his time here. I’m thankful for all of that.

And I wish him well, personally. He’s a likable guy.

But as the coach of TCU, I wish him nothing but abject failure. This is because I hate TCU - not because I hate Sonny Dykes.

If I recall correctly he has a 1-3 record since unofficially accepting the TCU job a month ago. Has been a master of recruiting for the Horned Frogs for the last month. Has us ranked 0 weeks over the last month. What makes anyone think he is an asset on the sidelines today?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 am

Working for another program while still under contract with SMU. Can not think of a more egregious abdication of responsibility. Would think that would be grounds, at least, for suspension if not immediate termination. If a player violated team rules to such a degree he would not be suiting up for the game.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t understand how anyone should not be pissed off at Dykes for his behavior. Telling recruits to decommit while employed at SMU should be enough to have wrath at the SOB, but to do that against your biggest football rival only the devil does that. There are certain unwritten rules in sports, and coaches at the biggest rivals don’t go to the other rival. You don’t see a HC at Ohio State to go Michigan or Vice versa, or NC / Duke, Texas / A&M, or in other sports a coach at Barcelona to Madrid, it just doesn’t happen because it is assumed this is never considered when you assume the face of the program. I was fooled by SD and wish him nothing but failure not just because it’s TCU but because of what he did. Actions speak louder than words and he’s basically told SMU to screw itself. Any self respecting alum, fan should find this unacceptable.

That’s a P5 school to a P5 school. This is a non P5 school to a P 5 school. Completely different scenario. This is more like going from FIU to coach at Florida State.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Mountain Mustang » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:32 am

Rebel10 wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t understand how anyone should not be pissed off at Dykes for his behavior. Telling recruits to decommit while employed at SMU should be enough to have wrath at the SOB, but to do that against your biggest football rival only the devil does that. There are certain unwritten rules in sports, and coaches at the biggest rivals don’t go to the other rival. You don’t see a HC at Ohio State to go Michigan or Vice versa, or NC / Duke, Texas / A&M, or in other sports a coach at Barcelona to Madrid, it just doesn’t happen because it is assumed this is never considered when you assume the face of the program. I was fooled by SD and wish him nothing but failure not just because it’s TCU but because of what he did. Actions speak louder than words and he’s basically told SMU to screw itself. Any self respecting alum, fan should find this unacceptable.

That’s a P5 school to a P5 school. This is a non P5 school to a P 5 school. Completely different scenario. This is more like going from FIU to coach at Florida State.

That's a pretty short sighted view though. Technically yes, G5 to P5 is an upgrade, but he's going to a team in a watered down P5 that just had it's two biggest schools depart. Long term, who's to say what the Big12 will be? Only thing we know for sure is that we don't have any clue what conferences will look like in just a few years. And maybe more importantly your example is way off the mark because FIU and FSU don't have a 100 year RIVALRY. That's what this is all about and why Maroons hits the nail on the head.
Here's to those that wish us well and all the rest can go to hell!!!
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Postby smubrooks » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:45 am

So does Sonny wear SMU or tcu gear for the game?
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:48 am

What I said is reality. But some do not want to accept it but that’s fine. Lashlee will leave if he is successful here and a P5 school that he likes comes calling. But I do wish Coach Lashlee the best while he is here. As I said our P5 chances went pretty much down the tubes when Houston beat us in getting into the Big 12 which will always be better than the AAC.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyTime » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 am

Rebel10 wrote:What I said is reality. But some do not want to accept it but that’s fine. Lashlee will leave if he is successful here and a P5 school that he likes comes calling. But I do wish Coach Lashlee the best while he is here. As I said our P5 chances went pretty much down the tubes when Houston beat us in getting into the Big 12 which will always be better than the AAC.

This is why we should have gone 100% after Gary Patterson. I am not sure that they even made that attempt - but it would have been the right play for a number of reasons.

1.) Signal to the B12 (and other conferences) that we are serious and make a national media statement that would get significant coverage.
2.) Retain 20 years of texas recruiting pipelines that Patterson holds.
3.) As much as I don't like the guy - sometimes having a mean SOB on the sidelines is a good thing. Sounds like we hired the "nice guy" coach.
4.) Have a coach that is not looking to jump ship in 2 years.
5.) Essentially flip the script on TCU with the hire. We are what TCU once was.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:07 am

PonyTime wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:What I said is reality. But some do not want to accept it but that’s fine. Lashlee will leave if he is successful here and a P5 school that he likes comes calling. But I do wish Coach Lashlee the best while he is here. As I said our P5 chances went pretty much down the tubes when Houston beat us in getting into the Big 12 which will always be better than the AAC.

This is why we should have gone 100% after Gary Patterson. I am not sure that they even made that attempt - but it would have been the right play for a number of reasons.

1.) Signal to the B12 (and other conferences) that we are serious and make a national media statement that would get significant coverage.
3.) As much as I don't like the guy - sometimes having a mean SOB on the sidelines is a good thing. Sounds like we hired the "nice guy" coach.

You know, going after Patterson might not have been a bad idea. Just saying’.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Oldmins » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:07 pm

Has a successful coach ever left a team after three or four years to go to a school in a higher ranked conference without the kind of feelings expressed here? That coach always takes with him the assistant coaches he likes best, and two or three commitments. And the fans always, always respond just the same way fans here are responding.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:09 pm

PonyTime wrote:If I recall correctly he has a 1-3 record since unofficially accepting the TCU job a month ago. Has been a master of recruiting for the Horned Frogs for the last month. Has us ranked 0 weeks over the last month. What makes anyone think he is an asset on the sidelines today?

For the record, I don't think he's an asset on the sidelines today. It appears that they were trying to do the right thing and not talk about him moving on until tomorrow, but it got out there. Now that it has, he should not be on the field.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:11 pm

Oldmins wrote:Has a successful coach ever left a team after three or four years to go to a school in a higher ranked conference without the kind of feelings expressed here? That coach always takes with him the assistant coaches he likes best, and two or three commitments. And the fans always, always respond just the same way fans here are responding.

Yep. Happens every single time.
ponyboy

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:22 pm

PonyTime wrote:This is why we should have gone 100% after Gary Patterson. I am not sure that they even made that attempt - but it would have been the right play for a number of reasons.

5.) Essentially flip the script on TCU with the hire. We are what TCU once was.

While I appreciate the symmetry of this, I don't think Patterson is the same coach that he was. I don't know the man, but his reactions to adversity this year reek of burnout. I doubt he'd take the SMU gig, or any HC job for that matter -- especially in the near term. And if he did accept out of spite, it would be a disaster for both parties.

I don't like this situation or the university's characteristically poor response to handling it, but I do like the presumptive HC choice. The next few days will be critical to see what kind of staff can be retained or put together, and whether or not we can recapture momentum in recruiting.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:23 pm

ponyboy wrote:
PonyTime wrote:If I recall correctly he has a 1-3 record since unofficially accepting the TCU job a month ago. Has been a master of recruiting for the Horned Frogs for the last month. Has us ranked 0 weeks over the last month. What makes anyone think he is an asset on the sidelines today?

For the record, I don't think he's an asset on the sidelines today. It appears that they were trying to do the right thing and not talk about him moving on until tomorrow, but it got out there. Now that it has, he should not be on the field.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If things were "still up in the air", I would be OK with him coaching on Senior Day. But now that the cat is out of the bag and the gory details have been revealed that he is also taking all of the key coaches and recruits with him, no way should he be on the sidelines. If he had any decency, he would make this decision on his own. If he does not, then Hart has to step up and not let him coach.

Leavitt can run the show today, is probably his last game as an SMU coach too, possibly his last, period.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Curious: How did SMU respond poorly? The only thing I can think of is that Dykes was ready and willing to sign here, but we wouldn't give him what he thinks he needed to get to the next level.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football