PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Substituting Mexican and BBQ for Cheesesteaks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Substituting Mexican and BBQ for Cheesesteaks

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:34 pm

I'll be in Dallas sometime this weekend (March 5-7).

I would appreciate up-to-date information from my fellow Ponyfans about the best places to eat great Mexican and BBQ within five miles of SMU.

Authentic food for a reasonable price in an informal setting is what I'm looking for.

I'll probably only eat Mexican food and BBQ during my visit.

If anyone has suggestions please include nearby landmarks/intersections so that I can spend more time eating and less time searching.

I can't wait to walk around campus.

Thank you in advance.

Cheesesteak
Last edited by Cheesesteak on Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby PK » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:59 pm

Mia's on Lemon Avenue...GREAT brisket tacos. They aren't on the menu, but they always have them and they are really good. Located on the east side of Lemon about four or five blocks north of Oak Lawn just past Bob's Chop and Steak House.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:28 pm

BBQ: Baker's Ribs on east side of Greenville (between University and Lovers)

Mexican: Blue Goose at 2905 Greenville (great tortilla soup), Mi Cocina in Highland Pak Village at Mockingbird and Preston (good food and great ritas), and as PK said, Mia's is very good.
LA_Mustang

Postby PK » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:25 pm

There is a small BBQ place on Hillcrest just north of Northwest Highway owned by a couple of SMU grads I think. Can't remember the name of the place and I haven't eaten there yet, but hear it is suppossed to be really good. Anyone else know of the place?
PK

Re:

Postby D » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:39 pm

It is called Holy Smokes. It has some great BBQ. Also, if you feel like eating a lot more than you should, try their special Aporkalypse Now. You used to get a t-shirt if you finish it and your picture on the wall.
D
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:57 am

BBQ: Dickey's on Central Expwy. or Sonny Bryan's in Inwood Village
Tex-Mex: El Fenix on Northwest Highway at Hillcrest
MrMustang1965

Postby No Quarter » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:20 am

:D

Cheesesteak: You do the same thing in Dallas as I.

If you fly in on Delta there is a Dickey's in that terminal - great place to grab a last taste of Texas before departing or to take some home. Also, Solly's BBQ (used to be Salih's and in Preston Center years ago) is in Addison, more or less convenient to the North entrance to DFW. I ate more BBQ at Salih's than any other place growing up and it remains my favorite. And there is a good El Fenix on 114 west of the North DFW entrance.

Is Peggy Sue's still operation? It's closer to the campus than any other BBQ stand and not bad.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby DickerJames » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:50 am

Solly's closed their doors for good 2 weeks ago. I like Spring Creek BBQ at Preston and 635. For Mexican I second the nomination of Mia's and Mi Cocina, and would add Ojeda's on Maple.
DickerJames
All-American

Return to Football