PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What the frogs bought.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What the frogs bought.

Postby Caballo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:40 am

The frog fans have to be as upset with their AD as we are with ours. This is what they bought with $25 million.

A coach who just led his team to a 6th place conference finish in an 11 team conference, with an overall record of 8-4 where only one team beaten had a winning record. And it took a Hail Mary to beat a team that finished 3-9, or the record would have been tarnished further.

A coach who over his four year tenure finished the months of November with a 6-9 record when three of those seasons his teams started off with records of: 7-1 (2021), 6-1 (2020) and 8-0 (2019).

Never won a conference championship, or even played in a conference championship game.

His records against three of the best teams in the conference, Cincy, Memphis and UH were 0-3, 1-3 and 2-1, respectively.

And, I would argue that the team SMU had this past season was the most talented team that we have had for many, many years up and down the depth chart.

If you add all that up, tcu way overpaid for their new coach. Anyone know what the buy out the frogs are paying us?
Caballo
All-American

Re: What the frogs bought.

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:27 pm

All the media talks about is the ten win season.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Just like Chad Morris before him, have to give Sonny credit for cashing in when he did. Has it occurred to anyone that Sonny may have feared a big step back next season after we lose so many seniors? OL, DL & LBs will take a serious hit unless the new coach can plug some big holes through the transfer portal with SRs & GTs. Think of the heat Sonny would have felt taking a big raise at SMU and then backsliding. Looking at this season, it's easy to see our guys beat a bunch of pretty bad teams but could not get it done against any good teams, except for UCF when they had to come to Ford and play their FR QB.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby soccermom » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Winless Novembers.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Just like Chad Morris before him, have to give Sonny credit for cashing in when he did. Has it occurred to anyone that Sonny may have feared a big step back next season after we lose so many seniors? OL, DL & LBs will take a serious hit unless the new coach can plug some big holes through the transfer portal with SRs & GTs. Think of the heat Sonny would have felt taking a big raise at SMU and then backsliding. Looking at this season, it's easy to see our guys beat a bunch of pretty bad teams but could not get it done against any good teams, except for UCF when they had to come to Ford and play their FR QB.

Pretty much what we've come to expect from him. That's why I thought we would win 6 or 7 games this season. Barring a miracle against La Tech I was right on the money.
mustangxc

Postby well travelled pony » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Current position on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Dykes
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby Paladin » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 pm

My perception based on what we know now is that his folksy, hometown persona is just a bunch of BS and he is actually one of the phoniest, insincere coaches we've had at SMU, he just hides it better than others...why else would he have gone to coach at California, of all places..
Paladin
All-American

Postby Lefty » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Because he was at LaTech. Say what you want about him going across town now, but LaTech to Cal is a no-brainer.
Lefty
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 pm

He was a good coach. Thankful to have had him as a Mustang.
ponyboy

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:44 pm

ponyboy wrote:He was a good coach. Thankful to have had him as a Mustang.

I can’t share your sentiment.

He took over a 7-5 team that played a much better TCU. Left us 8-4. Blew up 22 and 23 recruiting classes. Basically we are starting over again.

Samples orchestrated a mass commit exodus that made national news. Half the coaches have been pissed at how this has all played out (by all reports anyway).

5 weeks ago SMU was on top of the football world. His flirting with our rival definitely cost us a game or two and blew up what was the most exciting season, at a time we needed it most, in decades. He got angry at a reporter for suggesting the rumors are a distraction… which is when he lost me.

He’s preached “Great Family”, talked about how SMU has always been his favorite team, and went to our one true rival. This after re-igniting the rivalry, which made the players feel betrayed since he will be coaching against them in our biggest game next year. TCU has had leaks every Friday before our games, and if you read their boards their fans have loved being responsible for crashing our season.

By all accounts, he is making $25mm over 5 years at TCU, we offered $28mm over 7. So not really about the money. Sounds like SMU offered him everything he wanted.

I just don’t have respect for the guy. He’s worse than Chad IMO

Biggest issue is he went to TCU. He should get flamed for that. Nobody is angry if he finished the season strong without all the drama and then went to Oklahoma.
Last edited by PNW_Stang on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:58 pm

I know I am biased and don't like the Frogs....but for the life of me I can not understand how the AD can sell to their fans that hiring a guy that lost 4 of his last five games this year, no conference championship games, no bowl wins, is the best coach they could hire. What are they thinking? Seriously!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:41 am

PNW_Stang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:He was a good coach. Thankful to have had him as a Mustang.

I can’t share your sentiment.

He took over a 7-5 team that played a much better TCU. Left us 8-4. Blew up 22 and 23 recruiting classes. Basically we are starting over again.

Samples orchestrated a mass commit exodus that made national news. Half the coaches have been pissed at how this has all played out (by all reports anyway).

5 weeks ago SMU was on top of the football world. His flirting with our rival definitely cost us a game or two and blew up what was the most exciting season, at a time we needed it most, in decades. He got angry at a reporter for suggesting the rumors are a distraction… which is when he lost me.

He’s preached “Great Family”, talked about how SMU has always been his favorite team, and went to our one true rival. This after re-igniting the rivalry, which made the players feel betrayed since he will be coaching against them in our biggest game next year. TCU has had leaks every Friday before our games, and if you read their boards their fans have loved being responsible for crashing our season.

By all accounts, he is making $25mm over 5 years at TCU, we offered $28mm over 7. So not really about the money. Sounds like SMU offered him everything he wanted.

I just don’t have respect for the guy. He’s worse than Chad IMO

Biggest issue is he went to TCU. He should get flamed for that. Nobody is angry if he finished the season strong without all the drama and then went to Oklahoma.

Well said. And the hypocrisy of it all. He stated he loves his players and cares for them but they’re the ones he hurt the most for not being a man and finishing the season with integrity. SMU gave him one hell of an offer and if he truly was a Mustang at heart he never would have considered going to our biggest football rival.

Now, if he had finished the season and we would be going to a NY6 bowl and OU or another of the blue bloods came calling, I would get it. Tcu ain’t no blue blood . Even fatterson who is an a-hole wanted to finish the season. Dykes played us and deserves the pitchforks…
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 am

Apparently, Sonny can recruit pretty well. He got Samples, OL coach A.J. Ricker and Director of Recruiting Operations Tyler Olker to follow him plus got this ace recruiter, and UH alum, to come to Ft Worth.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Artic ... 160800626/

Hope Lashlee gets some ace recruiters on staff to get the classes back up. Tech got a couple of McGuire's old high school recruits (good ones for sure) and a west Texas recruit.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:38 am

tristatecoog wrote:Apparently, Sonny can recruit pretty well. He got Samples, OL coach A.J. Ricker and Director of Recruiting Operations Tyler Olker to follow him plus got this ace recruiter, and UH alum, to come to Ft Worth

My sources tell me they are thrilled A.J. Ricker is leaving. As the season progressed they came to the conclusion A.J. Ricker is terrible and Lashlee would have fired him anyway.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Apparently, Sonny can recruit pretty well. He got Samples, OL coach A.J. Ricker and Director of Recruiting Operations Tyler Olker to follow him plus got this ace recruiter, and UH alum, to come to Ft Worth

My sources tell me they are thrilled A.J. Ricker is leaving. As the season progressed they came to the conclusion A.J. Ricker is terrible and Lashlee would have fired him anyway.

Hmmm, I've heard the exact opposite.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football