PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What the frogs bought.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What the frogs bought.

Postby Oldmins » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Sewanee Stang wrote:TCU has a massive inferiority complex and three years of mediocrity have resulted in the firing of a legend and the violation of a long standing gentlemen's agreement not to poach a coach from an in-state peer institution. They overpaid for an above average coach. I can't wait for them to fail. SOBs.

Please explain how schools such as LSU, Alabama, UT, OU, OSU, etc, etc, can ever have a "gentleman's" agreement.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby Sewanee Stang » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:48 pm

I was referring to the SWC schools.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Baylor, A&M and UT stole UH coaches over the last 20 years. However, UH didn't join the SWC until 1976. Arkansas was the first to leave the SWC so maybe they aren't gentlemen.

I hope the current Hog coach has a long tenure because that's the one place I see Lashlee going.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:11 pm

As long as we win a conference championship with a NY6 appearance under his watch he can leave for Arkansas at the end of the 2022 season. I really don't care who our coach is, I am not attached to any of them. I simply want SMU to win big consistently.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby orguy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Sewanee Stang wrote:TCU has a massive inferiority complex and three years of mediocrity have resulted in the firing of a legend and the violation of a long standing gentlemen's agreement not to poach a coach from an in-state peer institution. They overpaid for an above average coach. I can't wait for them to fail. SOBs.

TCU will always be little brother to SMU!

Eternally. No worries on that front.
orguy
All-American

Postby smubrooks » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:19 am

I wonder how much of the Sonny move was jealousy/to stop our growth versus they actually wanted him...

“When you start looking at the numbers, and you start looking at the talent in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex that wasn’t coming to TCU, I just marveled at what SMU has been able to do the last couple of years,” Donati said Tuesday. “It really became glaring when you took a look at the numbers and the guys we were missing out on.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tcu-h ... t-to-miss/

Hopefully we can find a way to keep our DFW recruiting momentum going, but it's going to be VERY hard w/o Samples I imagine.
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby MV pony » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:05 am

TCU should have learned something from Arkansas. Was that a S**T show or a Clusterf**k?
MV pony
All-American

Postby deepellumfrog » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:19 am

orguy wrote:
mustangxc wrote:

51-42-7

Scoreboard
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 pm

The toadies got an upgrade over a declining Patterson. Can't fault them for wanting to improve their situation and looking at SMU's coach as something to covet makes sense for them. They went out and got him. We ended up better. The only real downside is scrambling for recruits for early signing day. The toads saved us from having to fire (or worse, live with a long time) a coach who was not going to get us to the next level. We can continue to improve with new leadership and position ourselves for the next realignment phase. The toads look to improve from being the second worst team in the worst P5 conference to a mediocre team. Maybe tcu can be bowl eligible before the end of the decade.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 am

I'm sure 51-42-7 looks really good on a resume/ job application. 15 years? That is sad.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:54 am

...and what they sold was their collective soul. This chapter may come back to haunt them.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby MDJenkins » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 am

They bought a decent coach and one of the best recruiters in the country. I can’t believe so many Mustangs fans don’t objectively realize that TCU football has been far superior to SMU football over the last decade and it’s about to get better. It simply comes down to SMU being in a sub par conference that will get considerably worse with the loss of UCF, Cincy, Memphis and the “addition” of UNT, UTSA, etc. we are about to experience a deterioration in our football program, just as we have with the basketball program. Thanks for nothing Rick Hart!
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 pm

I don't disagree that TCU has maintained an advantage in conference affiliation since they joined the Big 12. However, TCU bought a decent coach and a good recruiter from a peer institution and cross town rival with 100 years shared history, a sleazy move in my opinion. They also fired a legendary coach in the middle of the season. That was disgraceful. TCU fans can spin it however they like, but the fear of losing their place in the pecking order in a game of musical chairs motivated them to take desperate measures, and they burned some bridges in the process. That is my point.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Sewanee Stang wrote:I don't disagree that TCU has maintained an advantage in conference affiliation since they joined the Big 12. However, TCU bought a decent coach and a good recruiter from a peer institution and cross town rival with 100 years shared history, a sleazy move in my opinion. They also fired a legendary coach in the middle of the season. That was disgraceful. TCU fans can spin it however they like, but the fear of losing their place in the pecking order in a game of musical chairs motivated them to take desperate measures, and they burned some bridges in the process. That is my point.

That and while TCU has objectively been much better than SMU in football over the last 20 years, SMU has objectively been better than TCU the last 3 years. As it stands there isn't that much difference in the two programs. That may very well change very quickly with the reorganization of the Big XII and AAC membership as well as their poaching our best recruiter. I guess everything is fair game nowadays but I think it was pretty low of TCU and even lower of Dykes, Samples, etc. to agree to the move. I do not begrudge them for getting paid, but there are dozens of openings and they could get paid at many other places.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldmins » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm

orguy wrote:
mustangxc wrote:

As long as you think it, it makes any difference what reality is (see the SMU/TCU football record over the past hundred or so years).
Oldmins
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football