PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any news on Lashlee's assistants yet?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Any news on Lashlee's assistants yet?

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:24 pm

Diaz confirmed "out" at Miami and still has an $8 million buyout. Not sure how his taking another job might impact that deal, but would be a huge coup if Lashlee could get him to come to SMU. More likely, Diaz will end up as a DC at some P5 program
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PSCA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:53 pm

Might be a little [deleted] his ego to go from being the HC and Lashlee's boss, to the role reversal of that. Plus, if Diaz wants back in the game asap, he'll get a P5. Maybe heading back to Austin, USC, LSU.
PSCA
All-American

Postby PSCA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:54 pm

not sure why that was deleted out ... ahh, yes I do. Ok ... tough on his ego.
PSCA
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:01 pm

Lol, yes. Remember the SMU basketball great Damon [deleted]?
ponyboy

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Diaz confirmed "out" at Miami and still has an $8 million buyout. Not sure how his taking another job might impact that deal, but would be a huge coup if Lashlee could get him to come to SMU. More likely, Diaz will end up as a DC at some P5 program

Could he go back to Temple? They have an opening.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby birddogger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm

We aren't getting Manny and we aren't getting a current DC at a P5. Our best bet is to get a DC from a smaller school or a relatively young position coach at a P5 who has been a DC.

For now, hats off to our current DC, Coach Leavitt, who has committed to leading our defense against UVA. I appreciate the progress of our D this year. Overall, it was better, even considering it was his first year.
birddogger
All-American

Postby indianmustang » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Whats do you all think of derrius bell ,he is coaching XFL
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/roughne ... is-return/
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby sail420s » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:47 pm

PSCA wrote:Might be a little [deleted] his ego to go from being the HC and Lashlee's boss, to the role reversal of that. Plus, if Diaz wants back in the game asap, he'll get a P5. Maybe heading back to Austin, USC, LSU.

At Texas, he was known as Manny Iaz because he had no D
sail420s
Varsity

Postby redpony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 pm

really surprised that Cristobal moved to Miami, especially after the new offer from O.
Would love to see Diaz as our D coach but then again I would love to win the lottery. haha.
redpony

Postby birddogger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Would rather have Manny's D coordinator, Blake Baker, who is the current LB coach at LSU.
birddogger
All-American

Postby big foot » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:35 pm

Thrilled to have coach Lashlee and think the decision to not coach the bowl is a smart move. Some of you may remember when I posted that we should follow the Houston plan and bring in an entire P5 coaching staff - if you remember I said the Miami coaching staff would have been the perfect fit. We just might have pulled that off had we talked to Diaz early!
big foot
Scout Team

Postby birddogger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:54 pm

I don't think that Diaz even knew whether he'd be let go. In fact, that didn't happen until last evening, so time was never on our side.
birddogger
All-American

Postby PSCA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 pm

Here is a name from the past ... Tom Mason. He talks to D-Bell, Derick Odom (San Jose State DC), and Rambo all the time. Rambo was with him in Hawaii, TM and June got him the Ohio State gig. He and Rambo talk regularly. Although I don't think Rambo is ready for that jump YET. He has been doing USFL and XFL stuff. Was with June in Houston before Covid shut the league down. They had the best team and "D". His daughter still lives in the Dallas area. I think he an Hal Mommy did some spring league gig in Houston this past summer. I thought he was good, I liked him and players always liked him. His 2011 D ended up 26th in the nation, and top 10 in rush defense ... something like. I know the stat guys will have it. That is when the sch included TT, A&M, a better TCU team that we beat, and PIT in the bowl. A lot of stuff the last few years was not in his control.

I know, I can hear it .. H-LL to the NO. But it was worth getting some of you all's blood pressure up ... LOL. Never lose your sense of Humor men.
PSCA
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:41 pm

indianmustang wrote:Whats do you all think of derrius bell ,he is coaching XFL
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/roughne ... is-return/

I would love to see him get a chance to prove himself as a position coach. The more Mustangs in the college football coaching ranks the better.
mustangxc

Postby sail420s » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am

redpony wrote:anybody else getting concerned that early signing is approaching very quickly and we have no D coaching staff in place to help recruit. Are we just packing it in for next year? We lost most of our best recruits and need to replace a lot of seniors.

I'm with you here. Do we have ANY staff at all besides a HC? I fear we went from our best recruiting class in 30 years and a year or two from being the next Cincy, and now back to the basement. I'm thinking 5 decent recruits and a bunch of guys with only an offer from SMU.
sail420s
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football