PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

$30 Mil??? That's It???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: $30 Mil??? That's It???

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:44 pm

EastStang wrote:UNCC has had historically good hoops.

As someone who has New England roots and grew up a Boston Celtics fan, who can forget Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell? That was a very special Final Four year but it's been a while since the Bobby Lutz run of post-season appearances and they are definitely in a rebuilding mode right now
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:38 pm

"[Sonny] would bring potential recruits for unofficial visits all the time to SMU’s campus. In an area as big as the Metroplex that has so many FBS level players, having kids on campus for unofficial visits is easy.

Having kids just drop by Lubbock is not so easy. One of the reasons Dykes wanted to leave SMU is that he felt the need to deliberately encourage potential recruits to visit on Sunday rather than Saturday. He didn’t want them to see SMU’s atmosphere on game day because of the small crowds."

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/sp ... rylink=cpy
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyswim » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pm

I coached at UNCC in the early 80's. Melvin Watkins was an assistant bb coach at the time, later very succesful as a head coach, then a surprising(to me) disaster at A&M. They were much like UTD, but with a much nicer campus. Good academics and with a vision to grow. Always had some nice on campus housing. They could well grow into something like UCF has done. I think they are good school to have in the conference. I also hope that SMU never plays in the new AAC, and finds another conference that works better for them.
ponyswim
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football