PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Horns Payroll

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Horns Payroll

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:24 am

I must be naive, but do any of you feel that we must put some limits on this?
Obviously $50,000 per unidentified lineman exceeds any true economic value for these likenesses.
What would happen if someone actually challenged the extent of these payments in court?

I would imagine you could show that professional actors making commercials earn $X, why would amateurs get $X, plus etc. When does the true economic value step in? I can understand earning a couple of dollars on tee shirts and jerseys based upon sales, but this seems to exceed what the courts approved.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:48 am

smubrooks wrote:There’s a lot of talk about how much money SMU boosters have and how we can out spend 90% of schools, but to be honest I haven’t seen it. I .

agree. we have boosters who are wealthy but IMO they don't support SMU like a T. Fertitta supports cougar high. That is a good reason why we are in the watered down AAC and they are moving up to a P5 conference. If our people would step up and buy into this program we could move ahead rapidly but with RGT simply wanting mediocrity it most likely won't happen on his watch.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:50 am

Also most of our 80's boosters are in Mustang Heaven.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:26 pm

Mexmustang wrote:I must be naive, but do any of you feel that we must put some limits on this?
Obviously $50,000 per unidentified lineman exceeds any true economic value for these likenesses.
What would happen if someone actually challenged the extent of these payments in court?

I would imagine you could show that professional actors making commercials earn $X, why would amateurs get $X, plus etc. When does the true economic value step in? I can understand earning a couple of dollars on tee shirts and jerseys based upon sales, but this seems to exceed what the courts approved.

I also wonder if the NCAA or the conferences can impose some type of cap under the court ruling. This could be seen as restraint of trade and then whole thing could wind up in court again. There is certainly no limit on how much money coaches or administrtors can be paid. Why should athletes be any different under the law? Names, images, etc are assetts to be bought and sold to the highest bidder I suppose. As it is all legal, who can argue with someone buying a Mustang recruit's likeness and using it or not based on business needs? I'm not crazy about any of this but it is a whole new world.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby smitty329 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:38 pm

Trans A&M in 2022 in Mustang Blue - Courtesy of Sewell automotive group

https://images.app.goo.gl/zfj4YuJbJ2uV5mSF8
smitty329
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:10 pm

smubrooks wrote:There’s a lot of talk about how much money SMU boosters have and how we can out spend 90% of schools, but to be honest I haven’t seen it. I know we spent big in the 80’s, but in the last few decades we haven’t bought our way to the P5, haven’t bought a conference champ, haven’t bought consistent 10win seasons, haven’t bought our way into a “New Years 6” bowl, and haven’t bought a mind blowing recruiting class (although this has been much better lately). So I read about all this money and will to spend big, but I’m not seeing it on the field.

I'm not sure that's really true. The amount of money paid out in the '80s was actually pretty small, particularly in comparison to some of the $$ being thrown around now that it's all above the table.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:34 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:
smubrooks wrote:There’s a lot of talk about how much money SMU boosters have and how we can out spend 90% of schools, but to be honest I haven’t seen it. I know we spent big in the 80’s, but in the last few decades we haven’t bought our way to the P5, haven’t bought a conference champ, haven’t bought consistent 10win seasons, haven’t bought our way into a “New Years 6” bowl, and haven’t bought a mind blowing recruiting class (although this has been much better lately). So I read about all this money and will to spend big, but I’m not seeing it on the field.

I'm not sure that's really true. The amount of money paid out in the '80s was actually pretty small, particularly in comparison to some of the $$ being thrown around now that it's all above the table.

My friends who got football scholarships at SWC schools back in those days all got cars from the respective boosters. Usually there was a note on the car that was kept current by magic or else the notes technically went into default with no consequences. None of them were superstars and were not on a monthly salary, but plenty of alums slipped them $100s from time to time and comped most or all of their entertainment expenses. There was talk of women being supplied to recruits at one well known church school (not SMU). From what I have read or personally know about Mustangs from the pre-probation era, some of the star players made out well but nothing like the kind of money that will now be available.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Topper wrote:
PerunaPunch wrote:

My friends who got football scholarships at SWC schools back in those days all got cars from the respective boosters. Usually there was a note on the car that was kept current by magic or else the notes technically went into default with no consequences. None of them were superstars and were not on a monthly salary, but plenty of alums slipped them $100s from time to time and comped most or all of their entertainment expenses. There was talk of women being supplied to recruits at one well known church school (not SMU). From what I have read or personally know about Mustangs from the pre-probation era, some of the star players made out well but nothing like the kind of money that will now be available.

Ah yes, the old envelope slipped through a slightly lowered window of a car parked outside of Ownby. We had a payroll to meet back in the day, but so did plenty of other top programs and even some perennial losers. I've had friends/associates through the years with knowledge of some of what went on at A$M, Clemson and Penn State to know SMU was hardly unique but somebody had to made an example of and we had gotten pretty bold in those days.
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:18 pm

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 pm

I wish I had been one of Toppers friends.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:36 pm

It was 30 years of complete SMU athletics futility before Larry Brown. So much pent up emotions and demand to be relevant again on the national stage. So how did SMU & Dallas respond??? Moody Magic.

We can repeat that if we navigate this NIL scheme properly. I think the support is there to be great again.

Our Triple D, Dallas’ team marketing campaign is Brilliant.

This is the most optimistic I’ve been about SMU FB in 40 years.
SoCal_Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:08 pm

According to the Texas law cited in that article, you can't offer NIL deals to prospective recruits only to existing players. However, I suspect if word on the street got out that XYZ University was paying the most, that word would get around and it would in the long run help recruiting. Red and Blue Mustangs for all.
EastStang

Postby 78pony » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:20 am

This is on the mark. We talk a lot but don't spend. It has everything to do with a very small alumni base, very few tee shirt fans, years of lost football supporting students, and BMD's that are mostly older conservative folks that like SMU football but are not die hards. Most that have their names on a building, field, etc. Did not just eagerly run to the school with an open checkbook, they had to be cultivated and leaned on.
78pony
Heisman

Postby BrianTinBigD » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:12 pm

and just like that we are able to fund at least 20+ scholarship players $50K a year. Just need to bump the fund up to $4.2mil for everyone to get $50K.

www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/ ... l-program/
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Now we'll see if the Bears, Frogs, Cougars, and Red Raiders can up their antes. If we start getting recruits meant for Texas, watch for it, we'll be on probation again for breaking some unspoken regulation. That would chaffe SDs rear if he can't spend what we spend on NILs.
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football