PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU’s Eric Dickerson finally goes into College Hall of Fame

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU’s Eric Dickerson finally goes into College Hall of Fame

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:46 pm

LAS VEGAS — Make no mistake. Eric Dickerson is glad to be going into the College Football Hall of Fame after all these years. He will take the stage and be cemented in the sport’s lore.

“Am I happy to be here? Yeah,” Dickerson said Tuesday. “Do I really care? No, honestly.”

The former SMU running back, who played for the Mustangs from 1979-82, was one of 27 players invited to Tuesday’s induction ceremony in Las Vegas. Dickerson was voted into the 2020 class, but the ceremony was canceled due to the pandemic.

Other inductees included Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Eric Crouch, former Eastern Illinois quarterback and current CBS analyst Tony Romo, and longtime Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.

It’s an honor long overdue to Dickerson. The Pro Football Hall of Famer ran for 4,450 yards and 47 touchdowns at SMU, going from a 5-6 team as a freshman to an 11-0-1 club that won the Cotton Bowl his senior year.

But the school’s reputation was tarnished after the NCAA handed down the “death penalty” in 1987 for multiple violations that occurred before Dickerson arrived at SMU, up until 1986. Part of that controversy was Dickerson being given a sports car at around the same time he committed to Texas A&M before ultimately switching to SMU.

Dickerson has maintained the car was a gift from his grandmother.

“We had nothing to do with that death penalty,” Dickerson told the AP, referring to himself and “Pony Express” teammate Craig James. “That’s the travesty of the whole deal. People have the tendency to think I had something to do with it. We were a bunch of young kids.”

By the time the NCAA punished SMU, Dickerson was already a record-breaking running back in the NFL. His 2,105 rushing yards in the 1984 season, his second with the Rams, is still the league’s single-season record.

Dickerson was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1999 after finishing his 12-year career with 13,259 yards, currently ninth-best in NFL history.

“It’s bittersweet,” he said. “I look at my university because they made us like the black eye of the NCAA. And I just don’t like that. I’m honest about it.”

Dickerson is still proud to be an SMU alum and appreciative for the school to helping him and his family get to Las Vegas for the opportunity, even if it’s almost 40 years since he played football in Dallas.

“I know why they held me out because of the death penalty, but I’m proud of my school,” Dickerson said. “Leaving college, most of these kids don’t have anything. And that’s their opportunity to help themselves and get an education if they don’t play football. I didn’t have a plan to play professional football. It just broke out.

“The truth is going to always come out. I’m really happy to represent my university and I’m proud of it. I’m glad I went to SMU.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/12/08/sm ... l-of-fame/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: SMU’s Eric Dickerson finally goes into College Hall of F

Postby Arkpony » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:22 pm

What a great representative of SMU! Love this guy!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jpe747 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Mr. Dickerson has always been one of my heroes. He is the only pro athlete I have had my picture made with. Thats not a thing. But in this one case I am PROUD to have stood next to the man and have something to remember it by. God bless Eric Dickerson.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:40 pm

He’s a good man and a loyal Mustang. I’m proud.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:04 pm

He still holds the single season NFL record. Although with the schedule moving to 17 games, that might be in jeopardy someday. With the league so pass happy, its hard to imagine a player averaging 125 yards a game.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby orguy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Great guy and a class act.
orguy
All-American

Postby soccermom » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:52 pm

It’s about time!! Congratulations!
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustang1980 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 pm

https://spark.adobe.com/page/NDCzGYJRThLIG/

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. If you want to go fast and far, create a “Pony Express” with Eric Dickerson and Craig James alternating in the saddle. Dickerson, the sensation in the famed SMU duo who helped deliver two-consecutive Southwest Conference (SWC) championships, now rides into the College Football Hall of Fame.

“It means a lot to me to represent my university,” said Dickerson. “I'm proud to be a Mustang player. We had a great era with great players: my friend Craig James, Harvey Armstrong, Charles Drayton, Mark Crites, Joe Beard, Eric Ferguson, Gary Moten, Blane Smith.

“When people think of SMU, they think of the Pony Express, but it was so much deeper. Our defense was second to none, almost to the point of viciousness. I think of Wes Hopkins. We had some great players, but the best thing was the closeness of our team.”
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Return to Football