PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BCS to add 5th Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BCS to add 5th Bowl

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:07 pm

Looks like another BCS bowl. Hooray!(note the sarcasm)

Associated Press
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- The Bowl Championship Series agreed to add a fifth game Sunday, increasing access for schools not part of college football's most lucrative postseason system.
The champions of the six BCS conferences -- the Big East, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-10 -- will maintain an automatic berth in one of the five games. The remaining four spots will be at-large berths to be decided by a complex formula using national rankings.
The fifth bowl is still subject to final approval based on market viability, but all indications point to it being in place when the new BCS contract takes effect before the 2007 season.
Oregon president Dave Frohnmayer, a member of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee, said existing bowls probably will have the first shot at becoming the fifth BCS bowl.
"We are envisioning a bowl of equal stature in terms of its command of television audiences and its desirability from a standpoint of teams," Frohnmayer said. "Whether that would come from the volunteering of an existing bowl system and its own structure or the creation of a new bowl, that's something we simply can't determine at this point."
The current four BCS bowls are the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange. One of those bowls pits the top two teams in the BCS standings in a championship game, which will be the Orange Bowl next season. The Rose, Fiesta and Sugar host the other games.
Smaller schools complain that the BCS makes it impossible for them to win the national championship and puts them at a financial and recruiting disadvantage.
The BCS bowls generate more than $110 million a year for the big conferences. The BCS gives about $6 million a year to smaller conferences.
Frohnmayer said those figures will increase under the new format. This decision came after a six-hour meeting, the third between the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee and the Coalition for Athletics Reform, which has been fighting to change the current system.
Negotiations with the bowls and TV networks begin soon, starting almost immediately with next year's Rose Bowl, putting some sense of urgency to the talks.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:06 pm

Hopefully it will be the Cotton Bowl. The Cowboys new stadium, at Fair Park or elsewhere, could return the bowl to respectability.

And Peruna-a lot believe that this fifth bowl will increase the chances of a non-bcs team going to one of the games.
Last edited by Mike Damone on Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:36 pm

For us out-of-towners, what is the status of Jerry Jones' effort to move the Cowboys to another (I assume tax-supported) facility in the metro area? Combining the Cotton Bowl long term would help justify it. Short term, I hope Dallas answers the bell agressively to elevate the Cotton Bowl game to the fifth bowl.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:42 pm

I think its still early on, but the two spots being talked about the most right now are Las Collinas and Fair Park. I don't really know the details, but I would like to see the Fair Park spot happen. Clean up that area, replace the Cotton Bowl, move the Cowboys back to Dallas.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:21 pm

The Fair Park idea has been discussed in the DMN over past few days and it seems to be picking up some steam. Laura Miller is behind the Fair Park site but the concern is the lack of space to develop "Jerry Land". Oddly enough, John Wylie Price, one of Dallas' most outspoken black leaders, is against the Cowboys using the Fair Park site, which is predominately a black neighborhood.

I thought the other area being considered was an area just SW of downtown, near the Trinity, which would be benefited by the Trinity River Plan....if that ever happens.

Personally, I hope they choose one of the Dallas spots and not Irving. The Boys should play in Dallas.
LA_Mustang

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:41 pm

Here is an article on the choice of a fifth bowl with Capital One in Orlando making their interest known. Cotton Bowl and Dallas better get it's game plan together.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=1748280
Pony Up
Water Pony

San Antonio wants the BCS too

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:35 pm

The Alamodome has been a good draw for the BB final four, and San Antonio thinks they might be able to bid for the fifth BCS bowl. But like the original BCS bowl selections, it will be a bidding war that determines the winner.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:42 am

The part that appeals to me most about the current proposal is a change in the current rule that a non-BCS team must finish at least as high as 6th in the final polls to be eligible. They have not clarified where you have to finish, but any lowering of the bar is welcome.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re:

Postby MizterTea » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:41 am

Water Pony wrote:Here is an article on the choice of a fifth bowl with Capital One in Orlando making their interest known. Cotton Bowl and Dallas better get it's game plan together.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=1748280

listen up Dallas foo's - you suckas better get it together if you want to be a player in this deal - don't forget that Houston already has a new stadium which has hosted the big 12 championship and a Superbowl
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Re:

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:18 am

Diehard Pony wrote:The part that appeals to me most about the current proposal is a change in the current rule that a non-BCS team must finish at least as high as 6th in the final polls to be eligible. They have not clarified where you have to finish, but any lowering of the bar is welcome.

I just need to correct this ongoing and common misconcetion about needing to be 6th. With a 6th place you guarantee yourself a spot, perhaps that is the same thing in practice, but it is actually 12th place to be eligible.

Now lets hope that both numbers are improved, like 8th and 15th. But what I would like to see is a guaranteed non-BCS slot.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Water Pony » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:18 pm

:x

I agree. With ten bowl spots, one should always been set aside for the top non-BCS school, unless it doesn't crack the top 15. One guaranteed slot hardly seems demanding, given the imbalance. As a matter of fact, if two break the top Ten, both get in.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:05 pm

all this does in their eyes is a sense of trying to legitimize the whole damn bcsbs & if all the non-bcsbs schools agree - well - figure it out for yourself...IT OVER!!!!!!!!!

its like this one damn bowl for all the remaining 50 schools or i should say the remaining 2nd classes 'citizens' of div 1 football! horaay!!! (sarcastically) WAKE UP FOLKS! WAKE UP FOLKS!

u either sue the $%%$# & do it right or give in & watch the demise of the non-bcs schools including smu...the little12 will never never take anyone else including smu so its time to either wake up & smell the roses & start the WAR AGAINST THE BCS-BS FOR ANTI-TRUST OR START WATCHING ANOTHER SPORT!!! :(

what is it?!

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE OUR ADMINISTRATION IS GOING TO COW DOWN & GIVE IN...our days could now be over as a serious competitor in div 1 if we don't start fighting this cartel!
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:36 pm

Navy, I agree with you. I don't think they have released all the details yet, but this sounds like nothing more than a slight accomodation that has no teeth or promises. I can't believe that after all the sabre rattling, Cowen is happy with a pat on the head and a small scoop of ice cream. Thats all it is.
Hoop Fan

Postby Water Pony » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:28 pm

Writer calls a fifth BCS Bowl "Silly" and provides who would have played in the game in this article. Apparently, no money for Mid-Major using this approach:

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2197216

:twisted:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Water Pony » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:16 pm

Another point, given the "decision?" to maintain the BE winner as an automatic qualifer you reduce the chances for other schools BCS or non-BCS to get a good school in. It would be easy to imagine a new BE Conference champion to not be in the top 12.

It the fifth bowl is the only bone, then BE shouldn't be an automatic.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football