PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL:FENWAY BOWL SMU-VIRGINIA PREDICTIONS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL:FENWAY BOWL SMU-VIRGINIA PREDICTIONS

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:49 am

This is a quote from LB Noah Taylor, this is pretty much what all of their players have been saying. They are taking this game very serious. Take a look at their schedule, they would probably battle Houston for 2nd place in the AAC.

"The vibe that I get from practice, everybody just blocking out [the noise]," said Taylor. "Everybody just loves Coach Mendenhall, we cant wait for this game and send him out a winner against SMU. We appreciate everything he's done for us and for this program, so we just want to play as hard as you can one more last time.

"Personally, I want to give it my all. I want to just show these coaches how hard we worked to build this program over the past six years, and just how much we've done. And obviously, previous games didn't show that, so we got one more chance to show how good we really are."
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:52 am

I wonder what the second half of the season would have looked like, if we had pooched that last kickoff against Houston.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:31 am

Everyone wants to play better non-conference opponents.

Well - this is likely the best non-conference opponent that we will play since we played at Ann Arbor in 2018 (when Pick 6 Hicks cemented his nickname just before halftime). Yes - I think they are better than the last couple of TCU teams we played who had dumpster fires at QB position.

The last time we got a non B12 p5 team to play us away from their home stadium was a decade ago, when we beat Pitt in Birmingham. Also a team in transition that year.

We have an outgoing coach that the players love who will be coaching his last game as HC too. I think we step up, control the ball on the ground and take the W in this one.

SMU 35
Wahoos 31
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:46 am

If the weather is bad, I could see Tyler Levine having a big day.
EastStang

Postby PNW_Stang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 pm

52-10 UVA - 3 of 4 top receivers opting out (going to be walkons we haven’t heard of playing like at the end of Tulsa), interim skeleton coaching staff, team has been flat since the end of October, UVA playing hard for retiring coach.

At best we only lose by 24.

Hope I’m wrong.
Last edited by PNW_Stang on Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t understand these players that skip the bowl game. It’s absurd in my mind just because they’re afraid they might get hurt, yes, it’s football. That could have happened at any point during the season but you don’t work all season to then abandon your teammates when you’re playing for the prize at the end of the season. It’s also another data point for these players such as the senior bowl. SMH.

I agree. They should be forced to reimburse the school for the fall portion of their scholarships.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby birddogger » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:37 pm

I am less pessimistic than most. UVA's run defense ranked 125th in rushing defense, giving up a whopping 237.8 yds/game. They did not improve as the year went on. The D gave up an average of 246 yds/game in its final three games and finished the year by giving up 320 yds to Va Tech in a 24-29 loss. This suggests to me that the loss of our complement of first team wide outs and TE won't be as painful as it might have been. After all, we'll have our OL, UB IV, Tre and Tyler, along with some pretty good "leftovers" in Rashee, Goffney, and other young receivers. Our special teams are intact, too.

If the team can execute a run first, ball control game plan, which will open the passing game some, I can envision a 34-28 win (or loss) for the Ponies. Being a closet optimist, I'll take the win.
birddogger
All-American

Postby PNW_Stang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Are any of our guys that are opting out also playing in one of the invite bowls for seniors? That wouldn’t be cool IMO.

However, coaches are allowed to tank a season for another job. So if the whole sport is just “businessl for the top guys running it, the players should also be allowed to make their own “business decisions”. Especially when their HV already killed their season and the bowl game is a letdown coaches by an interim.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby mustang1108 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:42 pm

All 3 Calcaterra, Gray, and Roberson are playing in the Senior Bowl.
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:30 pm

No real hard hitting in Senior Bowl. Bowl games have hitting. Watching FL/UCF it’s a war.t
EastStang

Postby peruna81 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:27 pm

UCF has always been treated like the deaf stepchild in Florida. They are hungry, and not backing down a bit. Punch another TD in to watch the Gators go mental...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:20 am

let's hope that all of the AAC bowl participants win and make a great showing.
redpony

Postby GotMyESPY » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:31 am

Prediction? 40 degrees and rain.
Glad my tix are in the Grandstand under the balcony.
Dress warm and stay dry everybody! :D

SMU 41
UVA 37
GotMyESPY

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:56 pm

I’ll pack a poncho.
EastStang

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:40 am

Virginia delays departure to Fenway Bowl by a day, while awaiting results from COVID-19 testing to be completed.
ALEX LIFESON

PreviousNext

Return to Football