PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It's official: Fenway Bowl canceled

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It's official: Fenway Bowl canceled

Postby PonyPride » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:40 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Wasabi Fenway Bowl Canceled
Dec 26

The University of Virginia is no longer able to participate in Wednesday's Wasabi Fenway Bowl game due to the number of COVID cases impacting its roster, preventing safe participation. As a result of this withdrawal, the game and associated activities will no longer take place.

Though we all are disappointed that the Wasabi Fenway Bowl will not be played this year, we are grateful to our community partners, sponsors, volunteers, and stakeholders for their hard work to introduce college bowl season to Fenway Park. We'd like to extend that appreciation to both schools and fanbases for their enthusiastic support. We look forward to seeing everyone at the 2022 Wasabi Fenway Bowl.

Ticket refunds will automatically be posted to the payment card used for purchase within the next 14 business days.

Additional Statement From SMU

"I'm disappointed for our fans, and even more disappointed for our players, that we will be unable to play in a bowl game for the second straight season," Director of Athletics Rick Hart said. "We are, however, sympathetic to Virginia's situation, having had to withdraw from our bowl last season due to COVID. We hope those impacted get well soon.

"I want to congratulate our players and staff on their outstanding season and I want to thank Coach Leavitt and the other coaches and staff for their efforts over the past few weeks in keeping the focus on our players and their student-athlete experience.

"Finally, I want to offer a special thank you to our seniors, who unfortunately played their final collegiate games not knowing at the time that it was their last time wearing an SMU uniform. This group went 25-10 over the past three seasons, tying for the most wins by an FBS team in Texas, with three straight bowl berths. These student-athletes ushered in a new era of Mustang Football, and we all owe them a great debt of gratitude."

Tickets purchased through the SMU Ticket Office will be refunded or converted to a donation upon purchaser's request.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: It's official: Fenway Bowl canceled

Postby BUS » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Get Rick Hart to pick up the phone, pull in some favors and we replace Rutgers.

Sell SMU!

THE SENIORS DESERVE IT.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:59 pm

BUS wrote:Get Rick Hart to pick up the phone, pull in some favors and we replace Rutgers.

Sell SMU!

THE SENIORS DESERVE IT.

You can't disinvite a team that accepted a bowl bid. If that was a thing, they would have already given the spot to Memphis. Should they have taken the bid away from Rutgers and given it to Memphis, then taken it from Memphis to give to SMU? And then later take it from SMU to give to some other team with a better record when their bowl is canceled probably? Not to mention it would make SMU look like petty jerks.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Casey » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:51 pm

BUS wrote:Get Rick Hart to pick up the phone, pull in some favors and we replace Rutgers.

Sell SMU!

THE SENIORS DESERVE IT.

What favors do you propose he "calls in"?
How do you know that he hasn't?
Wouldn't it be safe to assume other ADs are making similar calls?
A nice idea, but not happening.

Thank you for everything, seniors. To the rest of the team: looking forward to spring ball.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby TidePony » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:04 pm

These kids missed Christmas with their families and had to overcome the all the BS with Dykes (and the failures of Rick Hart, too). I have nothing but gratitude for our seniors and the rest of the team. They are awesome!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:22 pm

As I said in another thread, why not match up ECU and SMU in Boston or Annapolis? Both were orphaned by ACC pullouts.,
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:50 pm

That's a grand idea.
Put something together.
So it's hard... get er done.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:54 pm

I hope we at least get the trophy!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby horsemanx » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:43 am

I am so upset and angry about this! I was really looking forward to Wednesday.

I expected better from an allegedly good school like Virginia.

When we are in the ACC I hope we remember this and run it up on Virginia the first time we play them.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:01 pm

Well, at least we did get one of Virginia’s offensive linemen in the transfer portal.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:07 pm

ponyboy wrote:Well, at least we did get one of Virginia’s offensive linemen in the transfer portal.

Nice to bring in some physically mature linemen to help replace so many outgoing seniors
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:50 am

PonyPride wrote:From SMUMustangs.com:

Wasabi Fenway Bowl Canceled
Dec 26

Finally, I want to offer a special thank you to our seniors, who unfortunately played their final collegiate games not knowing at the time that it was their last time wearing an SMU uniform. This group went 25-10 over the past three seasons, tying for the most wins by an FBS team in Texas, with three straight bowl berths. These student-athletes ushered in a new era of Mustang Football, and we all owe them a great debt of gratitude."

Really stinks for these seniors to go out having lost 4 of their last 5 games and their last home game, but not all of them intended to play in this game, anyways. Thanks to all of them for helping this program win again...and to beat the toads the last 2 visits to cowtown.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football