PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sun Bowl possibility?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sun Bowl possibility?

Postby BUS » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:28 am

Ditto Eaststang.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Screck » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:51 am

Exactly Eaststang! Enough of Hart
Screck
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:45 am

Very disappointing if there was no effort to each out to Sun Bowl after Miami bailed. I assume our guys would have wanted to make that trip and play Washington State
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Washington State arrived in El Paso earlier this week for Sun Bowl festivities. The Cougars stayed committed to finding an opponent to play in the Sun Bowl. WMU arrived in Tucson on Monday morning so they were only 300 miles west of El Paso. They were also very motivated to upgrade the payout from less than $1M to $4.5M. The Sun Bowl was also very motivated to make accommodations due to its payout.

Isn't it like SMU already being in Boston and then getting a chance to move down to the (now defunct) Pinstripe Bowl later in the week? Teams with interim coaches seem less motivated to jump through hoops. However, this isn't really on Hart. WMU was closer and ready.

I guess he could've tweeted that SMU is ready to go wherever there's an opening with a few days' notice.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby 3Titles » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:18 pm

I know a very large booster for UTEP who tells me that the Sun Bowl absolutely wanted SMU, but the response was that coaches and players had already left. Too bad, national TV on CBS and a decent payout. I guess the program has plenty of money, I’ll remind them of that when the Mustang Club comes calling this year. Honestly, I don’t think these decisions come from Hart. He just does what Turner tells him to do. If we still had Orsini we’d be headed to the Big 12. But he wasn’t a “yes man.”
3Titles

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:37 pm

3Titles wrote:I know a very large booster for UTEP who tells me that the Sun Bowl absolutely wanted SMU, but the response was that coaches and players had already left. Too bad, national TV on CBS and a decent payout. I guess the program has plenty of money, I’ll remind them of that when the Mustang Club comes calling this year. Honestly, I don’t think these decisions come from Hart. He just does what Turner tells him to do. If we still had Orsini we’d be headed to the Big 12. But he wasn’t a “yes man.”

Really surprising if we did turn down an opportunity to play in the Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl. Kind of sad.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:51 pm

A significant % of SMU staffers are simply looking for an opportunity to go home at every turn.

Maybe there is no incentive to succeed. I have no idea.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby horsemanx » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:12 pm

mtrout wrote:A significant % of SMU staffers are simply looking for an opportunity to go home at every turn.

Maybe there is no incentive to succeed. I have no idea.

We do what we do.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:24 pm

3Titles wrote:I know a very large booster for UTEP who tells me that the Sun Bowl absolutely wanted SMU, but the response was that coaches and players had already left. Too bad, national TV on CBS and a decent payout. I guess the program has plenty of money, I’ll remind them of that when the Mustang Club comes calling this year. Honestly, I don’t think these decisions come from Hart. He just does what Turner tells him to do. If we still had Orsini we’d be headed to the Big 12. But he wasn’t a “yes man.”

Exactly right! I would be an idiot to ever give SMU a cent! They clearly don't need the money. I definitely do.
mustangxc

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:44 pm

They clearly don't need the money

Absolutely!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:18 pm

mustangxc wrote:

Exactly right! I would be an idiot to ever give SMU a cent! They clearly don't need the money. I definitely do.

xc, if you don’t want to give $$$ to Hart or the Mustang Club, here is where your dollars should go

https://www.ponysportsdtx.com/
SoCal_Pony

Postby MV pony » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:07 pm

I checked out the out Sport DTX website but there is no transparency as to where the money is actually going. What percentages go to admin, marketing etc. versus the players?
MV pony
All-American

Previous

Return to Football