PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: Gary Patterson to UT?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OT: Gary Patterson to UT?

Postby PonyTime » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:49 pm

As D Coordinator? Just saw this rumor:

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/horned-frogs-gary-patterson-longhorns-pete-kwiatkowski-steve-sarkisian

How wonderful it would be if he signs on in Austin and plucks a few of TCU's top defense players to take down to Austin with him.

i bet the Whornes will get him TWO towel girls for that Austin heat.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: OT: Gary Patterson to UT?

Postby Lotus » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:14 pm

This has been rumored for weeks, if not months.
Of course, UT arrogance would generate some push-back on poaching Froggy defenders, even though TCU had a better defense than UT did last year.
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:31 pm

Bevo’s Daily reports sighting of Gary in Austin

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... entnewsntp
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Paladin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:50 pm

Remember who the Athletic Director is in Austin, and where he came from....this is not implausible
Paladin
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:53 am

Don't the Frogs have a statue of him somewhere?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:35 pm

EastStang wrote:Don't the Frogs have a statue of him somewhere?

Hard to tell. There is a statue close to the stadium that looks like Mini-Me but it could be GP.
Bergermeister

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:26 am

Frog Forum is hot that Gary is meeting with UT in Austin.

Favorite quote:

"OK, GP wants to step into a role like this, fine, but not at a conference rival."

The Irony

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/247-sports-patterson-meets-with-steve-sarkisian-about-possible-role-on-texas-staff.230265/

Just wait - Mathis will transfer to UT and perhaps others.

Prediction - Gary will be stepping in as Head Coach down there as soon as there is some major adversity with Sark.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:50 pm

PonyTime wrote:Frog Forum is hot that Gary is meeting with UT in Austin.

Favorite quote:

"OK, GP wants to step into a role like this, fine, but not at a conference rival."

The Irony

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/247-sports-patterson-meets-with-steve-sarkisian-about-possible-role-on-texas-staff.230265/

Just wait - Mathis will transfer to UT and perhaps others.

Prediction - Gary will be stepping in as Head Coach down there as soon as there is some major adversity with Sark.

That's hilarious. UT isn't their rival and won't be in their conference for more than a hot minute.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Ikus » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:32 pm

ESPN seems to think it's actually going to happen

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say

Texas is TCU's "rival" like Alabama and Georgia are Arkansas' "rivals"
Ikus
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:00 pm

Lotus wrote:This has been rumored for weeks, if not months.
Of course, UT arrogance would generate some push-back on poaching Froggy defenders, even though TCU had a better defense than UT did last year.

disagree - the UT folks i know would be happy to pick off the top 2-3 TCU defenders and wouldn't even give it a second thought.
gostangs

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm

Some more interesting tidbits showing up on Frog Forum regarding how they handled Gary's departure:

Frog-in-law1995 said:
By all accounts (at least that I’m aware of), they decided to make a change and needed to ramp up the coaching search to get the right guy in place in time for early signing. So they discreetly told Gary they were making a change for next season and offered to let him finish the year then take a role in the school’s admin. Not sure what else they could’ve done. Sounds to me like they did things exactly right.

not what I have been told - more like they got caught talking to Dykes in the background and when GP found out, he requested a meeting with AD. AD moved the initial meeting GP requested up one day so VBo could attend - and in the first two mins they told him he was done at the end of the year, that he would still be the HC in name only so we could give him time to "retire" but he would not being running the program on a day to day or gameday for the rest of the season because he had lost the team - and that was when it went bad.....

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Webmaster » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 pm

PonyTime wrote:because he had lost the team - and that was when it went bad.....

Inmates running the asylum rarely ever turns out well. Sounds like a hot mess is brewing in Cowtown.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 pm

gostangs wrote:
Lotus wrote:This has been rumored for weeks, if not months.

disagree - the UT folks i know would be happy to pick off the top 2-3 TCU defenders and wouldn't even give it a second thought.

This is the right take, I think. They’re aware how many times GP beat them. And it’s not like they’re taking him as head coach.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:59 pm

PonyTime wrote:Some more interesting tidbits showing up on Frog Forum regarding how they handled Gary's departure:

Frog-in-law1995 said:
By all accounts (at least that I’m aware of), they decided to make a change and needed to ramp up the coaching search to get the right guy in place in time for early signing. So they discreetly told Gary they were making a change for next season and offered to let him finish the year then take a role in the school’s admin. Not sure what else they could’ve done. Sounds to me like they did things exactly right.

not what I have been told - more like they got caught talking to Dykes in the background and when GP found out, he requested a meeting with AD. AD moved the initial meeting GP requested up one day so VBo could attend - and in the first two mins they told him he was done at the end of the year, that he would still be the HC in name only so we could give him time to "retire" but he would not being running the program on a day to day or gameday for the rest of the season because he had lost the team - and that was when it went bad.....

Both versions are super-classy and aboveboard, lol. One’s just very slightly shadier.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:00 pm

It was a difficult last season for Patterson at TCU and had to be tough on him watching SMU push his guys all over the frogs home field.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football