PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank you Garry Weber!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thank you Garry Weber!!!

Postby stlpony » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 pm

Yes, thank you Garry Weber!!! I know it's just a rendering, but I'm pretty sure that looks like "real" seats and not bleachers. The important details!! :) :D
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:25 pm

This sort of generosity makes me feel good about the future of the program. This and a healthy NIL climate will be a nice recruiting tool. Does anyone have a guesstimate re how many seats this will add to Ford's capacity? I'm also glad that this is lifting up all sports in one way or another. If we could cut a deal with the City to upgrade Reverchon park for Mustang Baseball we will be well positioned to move up in the world.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby stlpony » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:38 pm

Here is a great video, produced by SMU, that thanks Garry Weber.
https://youtu.be/_xCzLCXm8qY
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby stlpony » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm

Topper wrote:This sort of generosity makes me feel good about the future of the program. This and a healthy NIL climate will be a nice recruiting tool. Does anyone have a guesstimate re how many seats this will add to Ford's capacity? I'm also glad that this is lifting up all sports in one way or another. If we could cut a deal with the City to upgrade Reverchon park for Mustang Baseball we will be well positioned to move up in the world.

My guess is that SMU wants to get to a total capacity of 40K seats. I think the south end zone will add 4-6K seats and enhancements to the east side (whenever that happens) will add the rest.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby DFW HOYA » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:57 pm

If this had been announced six months ago, does it change the Big 12 expansion map?
DFW HOYA
Scout Team

Postby DallasMustang11 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:23 pm

DFW HOYA wrote:If this had been announced six months ago, does it change the Big 12 expansion map?

If I had to guess the BIG12 gave SMU some indication of why they were not selected/what they could do to increase their chances in the future. I would imagine expanding/improving the football stadium was atop that list.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby Three Putt » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm

I hope they earmark some of the money to do something about parking facilities.
Three Putt
Junior Varsity

Postby Diamond Girl » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 pm

Absolutely. Parking is a must.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:58 pm

I’m guessing that we are going to close the horseshoe because we can’t go up any more. Would have loved to see the grassy knoll stay. Regardless, this is beyond amazing. Wonder if there will be funds to improve the concourse.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:17 pm

Agreed pb, if i was Hart, i would at least have a conversation with Gerald Ford to see if he would commit to filling in the shoe if needed to become P5. Cost of what, $15M?

I would then have this expansion on the north side to retain the horseshoe, which i think is one of the best parts of the stadium.
SoCal_Pony

Postby MDJenkins » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:22 pm

What a generous gift. However, we can’t even fill up the existing seats. Maybe some of this money could be spent on hiring better recruiters, leading to securing better players, resulting in more wins and filling up the seats. We’ll be great…in a sub par conference.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:13 pm

This is a fantastic recruiting tool.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Football