PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank you Garry Weber!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thank you Garry Weber!!!

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 pm

davish75 wrote:The system made college football a great success for over 100 years. A "Super League" will put the nail in the coffin for all programs that don't make the list. College basketball provides the model for college football to adapt. The destruction began when Texas sabotaged the SWC. It is too bad we will not be able to void as a violation of antitrust law the Texas and Oklahoma move to the SEC. A small group of schools are trying to corner the market.

Davish, i agree the old system was great, i personally loved the SWC days.

Economic realities have & will change this forever.

Look at USC. Let’s say they are competing for the services of a star RB with LSU. During that RB’s 4 year college career, LSU will be paid $100M more than USC. I just don’t think USC will tolerate that level of inequity for very long.

As for an Elite 60, i could see UT, A&M, SMU and Coog High representing Texas. No way could i see over half the re-branded B12 members being considered.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm

tristatecoog wrote:My guess is $15 million.

The Miller's 2011 gift was $10M directly to Moody's renovation.
https://www.smu.edu/SecondCentury/News/ ... 8april2011

tristate, in the article you linked it says the Moody Foundation donated $20M towards the renovation of Moody, so doesn’t it have to be north of $20M??

“ The Millers’ announcement comes just days after the Moody Foundation announced April 20 that it is committing $20 million toward the $40 million Moody expansion and renovation project.”
SoCal_Pony

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:49 pm

A super league will consist of 30-40 teams, not 60. That is the sad fact. Universities with an enrollment under 25-30K will be excluded.
JasonB

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm

JasonB wrote:A super league will consist of 30-40 teams, not 60. That is the sad fact. Universities with an enrollment under 25-30K will be excluded.

Except ND, and Duke, and...
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm

Terry Webster wrote:
JasonB wrote:A super league will consist of 30-40 teams, not 60. That is the sad fact. Universities with an enrollment under 25-30K will be excluded.

Duke will definitely be excluded. You’re right that Notre Dame is small; they might get in anyway, but Duke won’t.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:50 pm

If it becomes an NFL type league, there will be some quality programs left out, which would benefit a school like SMU.

No way Duke makes the list, but same goes for Kansas & Kentucky.

ND absolutely makes it. Oregon has under 25k enrollment, they make it. I also think Stanford & Miami make it with ~17k enrollments due to their DMA locations and wealth.
SoCal_Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:My guess is $15 million.

The Miller's 2011 gift was $10M directly to Moody's renovation.
https://www.smu.edu/SecondCentury/News/ ... 8april2011

tristate, in the article you linked it says the Moody Foundation donated $20M towards the renovation of Moody, so doesn’t it have to be north of $20M??

“ The Millers’ announcement comes just days after the Moody Foundation announced April 20 that it is committing $20 million toward the $40 million Moody expansion and renovation project.”

Sure does. I missed that. OK, I'll go with a $25M gift by Mr. Weber. Unless it's the "largest gift to SMU Athletics in our history from SMU letterman" Does anyone have the wording from the announcement?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Curious whether it will peel off hoops as well. That would mean the Big East, the A10, and some P5 schools like Duke and Baylor would be left out. So, maybe there will be odd basketball only members of conferences if they keep hoops in the current mold. One thing is for certain, its going to be a strange decade for college sports.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:57 pm

Terry Webster wrote:

ND won't want to be included. They align more with the "Academics first" outlook of The Alliance. Same with Duke.

For the schools that don't want to pay players, the Super League gives them a legal out.
JasonB

Postby fan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:09 pm

JasonB wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:

ND won't want to be included. They align more with the "Academics first" outlook of The Alliance. Same with Duke.

For the schools that don't want to pay players, the Super League gives them a legal out.

This is gonna make some folks mad but we really, I mean really, need to figure out how to get hooked in with the Alliance. Maybe even break away from the AAC somehow.
fan
Varsity

50 million donation

Postby indianmustang » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:48 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am

Whoa!
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am

THANK YOU Mr. Weber on behalf of the PonyNation!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am

What will that bring the seating to? About 45k?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby birddogger » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 am

The DN article is behind a paywall, but piecing the posts together, did Mr. Weber donate %50 million to expand/improve Ford?

Whether that's correct or not, Mr. Weber's $50 million donation is truly generous and a game-changer for SMU. Many thanks to you, Mr. Weber, if you post or lurk here!
birddogger
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football