PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transfer Portal Threatens Parity

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Transfer Portal Threatens Parity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:34 pm

Lincoln Riley has quickly reloaded the Trojans with Transfers and they will probably be the team to beat in the PAC 12 without recruiting help initially.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... entnewsntp

I like the Ford Stadium "$" announcement, the arrival of Rhett, and our initial efforts with NIL. However, being in the Group of Five, we need to gain competitive parity against the Power 5. Does the transfer portal help us or not to crash the party?
Last edited by Water Pony on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Transfer Portal Threatens Parity

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:52 pm

I think we can all agree that we've gained a lot more than we've lost in the transfer portal. And we seem to be a very attractive destination for receivers as well as a couple of quarterbacks.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:54 am

These young athletes buy the dream of playing for a UT or OU and will be Heisman candidates. Then they find out that they are 4 or 5 star player are #3, 4, 5 on the depth chart. They can stay there and hope to move up, or they can now do a lateral move to get onto the field without having to go to Delaware or ND State. I think it improves parity in that the Big Boys are not 3 to 5 deep anymore. Or their coach leaves and they get a new coach with a new scheme not suited to their game. A wide out who suddenly sees a switch to an option offense. So, I think its great not just for the players but for college football. Of course now with NIL, that also means some incentive to reopen negotiations when another school comes calling.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 pm

Interesting read
Thanks, Water Pony
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Return to Football