PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Help: Difference in Running Game Sonny v Rhett

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Help: Difference in Running Game Sonny v Rhett

Postby malonish » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:44 pm

I'm relatively new to all this "knowing football" business so I would like some help. What's the difference in the use of the running backs between Sony's system and Rhett's system? Be as detailed as you like.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Help: Difference in Running Game Sonny v Rhett

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:50 pm

I'll give it a shot.

Sonny's roots are back in the Air Raid construct, which is an evolution of the Run and Shoot. The R&S, you think about huge linemen who can eat space, and then a running game where you tend to use the pass to set up the run, have 5 linemen with no TE and a big back - think Natron Means or Zach Line. Run WR in their pattern, cut down on the number of defenders in the field, and hope that your big back can run over a safety or smaller linebacker. Lots of delays so that the WR can clear players out. Have a change of pace back like a McNeil who will dance around in space for big yards.

The Air Raid has even larger linemen than the R&S, but uses a little more of a change of pace back than the traditional big power runner.

When Sonny was at TCU, he professed to learn the importance of a power running game. He intentionally brought in Rhett to combine the Air Raid with the Power Spread. However, while in year 1 we ran the ball 41 times per game, in year two that dropped a little and by year 3 we were running the ball 5 fewer times per game for 20 less yards. In year 2, bringing in Riley as the OC was a movement back to more of a traditional Air Raid offense. The Air Raid blocking style is more based on R&S blocking, which is to say it is more about shifting people around than blowing them off the line, which is probably why we all look at Howerton's Senior Bowl video and say "where was that physical dominance here"?

The power spread, which is run by Rhett and was also promoted by Chad Morris, has a running game that is more of a modern version of the option offense. The RB is expected to be able to run a dive up the middle, and the majority of runs should stay between the tackles. This is not a delay concept like the R&S requiring a huge RB like Means or Line, but a straight power by a combo back who can be physical but can also bounce. In the CM offence, they had X, West, and Freeman - Combo, speed, and power. Ideally, you have more combo backs, which is how the roster is currently shaped with TJ, Siggers, and Epton. It would be nice to have a change of pace like Bentley or Dawson, as well as power with Lavine. Anyway, going back to the option concept, the RB is between the tackles, the QB on the zone read is the threat outside the tackles, and the WR screen is the modern pitch. The OL will be asked to be a lot more physically dominant at the line rather than just space eaters, and it is going to be interesting to see how our OL adjusts.

Philosophically, there is also a big difference in the offenses in that Sonny was okay with taking a negative play and trying to make up for it later. If Bentley tried to bounce and lost two yards, no big deal, because Sonny is willing to take that risk for the potential payoff for a homerun, and also had the confidence in a passing game that would open someone up for a 10 or 15 yard pass.

With the Power Spread, the belief is that there are going to be some games you just have to grind out. So, you don't want negative plays, you want to stay inside the tackles and get the two yards. Home runs are great, but we want those up the middle instead of on the bounce. And the real homerun is the deep ball. And it is really important that the QB can run from time to time. The route tree is going to be less complex, so quick throws to the outside on the screen, or a limited tree, and then the deep ball option. If it isn't there, take off and run, and the QB should ideally be a threat on the zone read or the RPO. King, who was supposed to start at Miami the last couple of years, is a perfect fit. So was Watson. Stone fits that aspect better than Moredeci. Honestly, the QB recruit from this past recruiting class is a great fit as well. But the less complex route tree takes away those 15 yard pass options, which the SMU offense was completely dependent on last year and killed us against Cincy, because good defenses don't give those up. This is a reason Bentley was running with the second team before he transferred, because he always tries to bounce and gives up a lot of negative plays, and Rhett doesn't want to see it. He wants a starting back who is going to be reliable for 4 yards (TJ, Siggers, Epton), and then spice it up from time to time. Xavier was great because he would grind for you even though he wasn't the biggest back, but then he could explode when he broke past the first line. That is what the promise of TJ is (if healthy).
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:16 am

Thanks for the essay. It really helps. My next question was why Bentley might not fit so that is answered.

As for TJ, I have concerns because of his unorthodox (read: unproven quackery) method of recovery.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 am

What are his recovery methods?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:36 am

He used a special TENS unit type device that his brothers company developed. Maybe it worked?
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:40 am

PNW_Stang wrote:He used a special TENS unit type device that his brothers company developed. Maybe it worked?

We'll find out soon enough. Certainly hope so!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:19 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:He used a special TENS unit type device that his brothers company developed. Maybe it worked?

A TENS unit for a fracture... best of luck to him. Hope for the best.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ccolley68 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:21 am

Lashlee comes from the Malzahn mindset. Being an Aggie alum as well, I hated playing Malzahn. His offense was often described as a triple option dressed up as a spread. He has lots of motion and shifts pre-snap, people spread all over the field, but when it’s time to run the play, they come right at you with the power of 90’s Nebraska. Typical spread team is looking to throw it like 60-70% of the time, and I think Auburn’s numbers were the complete inverse of that.

Lashlee has played for or coached under Malzahn since high school with the exception of just a few years. I don’t know Lashlee well, but would expect it to closely resemble Malzahn’s style.

It will be interesting to see if Malzahn can create the same success at UCF with that offense. He’s always had some real horses to run his offense with the one exception being his year at ASU, but I think Auburn had been planning to hire him anyways, results at ASU be damned.
Ccolley68

Postby jpe747 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:17 am

[quote="Ccolley68"]Lashlee comes from the Malzahn mindset. Being an Aggie alum as well, I hated playing Malzahn. His offense was often described as a triple option dressed up as a spread. He has lots of motion and shifts pre-snap, people spread all over the field, but when it’s time to run the play, they come right at you with the power of 90’s Nebraska. Typical spread team is looking to throw it like 60-70% of the time, and I think Auburn’s numbers were the complete inverse of that."

If this is the case, he is strengthening the line, but it would probably be a good idea to transfer a couple of strong running back additions for insurance.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:52 pm

jpe747 wrote:
Ccolley68 wrote:Lashlee comes from the Malzahn mindset. Being an Aggie alum as well, I hated playing Malzahn. His offense was often described as a triple option dressed up as a spread. He has lots of motion and shifts pre-snap, people spread all over the field, but when it’s time to run the play, they come right at you with the power of 90’s Nebraska. Typical spread team is looking to throw it like 60-70% of the time, and I think Auburn’s numbers were the complete inverse of that."

If this is the case, he is strengthening the line, but it would probably be a good idea to transfer a couple of strong running back additions for insurance.

Aye, this.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football