PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowlsby Stepping Down

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bowlsby Stepping Down

Postby panhandle_pony » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:39 pm

panhandle_pony
All-American

Re: Bowlsby Stepping Down

Postby MustangFan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:39 pm

I was wondering about that. There was talk that at times, UT didn't want SMU to join — Cows are headed out. TCU, by all accounts, wants no part of sharing DFW Big 12 eyes and conference dollars with us ... but how much clout does TCU have? With UT and OU leaving, is TCU an "important" member of the conference? Or does that status belong to Oklahoma State, Baylor and Tech?
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:40 am

I doubt the Big XII is going to be interested in adding SMU unless/until our Mustangs demonstrate they are a perennial Top 25 program that people are interested in, with more butts in seats at Ford and also commanding more of the AAC's "prime time" games. If the Big XII wants to move farther east in support of West Virginia, Cincinnati and UCF, you have to assume Memphis and possibly USF or even UAB could be more attractive than the current version of SMU. We have to hope the combination of new coaches and NIL will restore SMU to what it was in the 80's as far as the competitiveness of the football and basketball programs, but fan interest is an issue that has to be overcome. Bottom line is that anything TCU can do, SMU should be able to do better.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:23 am

Historically, it was UT who always blackballed us. Now I think our Ft. Worth Froggie Friends are dropping the ball on us. I don't see the Big XII wanting us, unless another Power Conference wants us to make inroads into Texas. I would think that if Rice or Tulane can improve, one of those teams with us would make a good addition to the ACC. Private schools in major Metropolitan areas in a region not served by the ACC. Expands cable TVs which is the driving factor in these things. That's why the B1G poached Maryland and Rutgers even though they were never great at football.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby smubrooks » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:08 pm

If I was the Big12 I would have zero interest in adding SMU. ZERO.

We just need to
1) win, win, win
2) market, market, market
3) get a new AD who can hustle and actually make things happen

Then, maybe, if we catch a break, we can attract another P5 to either take us or leverage the insecure Big12.
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby Buddha » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:45 pm

Given a choice, I'd want Pac-12
Buddha
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:34 pm

ACC.

Hands down, it is a better fit size wise with several private universities. If the Cowboys can play in the NFC East, we can play in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Geographic designations are now largely meaningless.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:55 am

81 has the correct answer.

And the ACC is going to get left behind if they don't get to Texas with a presence.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 am

peruna81 wrote:ACC.

Hands down, it is a better fit size wise with several private universities. If the Cowboys can play in the NFC East, we can play in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Geographic designations are now largely meaningless.

Agree. Would love to be in with Duke and Wake and have our games played in Eastern and Central time zones. Far more exposure than playing Mountain and Pacific zones when too many on the east coast don't stay up to watch night games. Love the Cowboys analogy. NFL knew when they restructured not to mess with a good thing.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:06 am

Add in the U, Boston College Syracuse (private), UVA and UNC (which are sort of state private schools). Its more of a fit for us. Wake has terrible attendance as does Duke for football. UVA has mediocre football attendance which is why they have OOC games with in-state teams like Madison, Liberty, Richmond and W&M.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:10 pm

smubrooks wrote:If I was the Big12 I would have zero interest in adding SMU. ZERO.

SMU has not made an "upward" conference move since 1918 when we got membership in the Southwest Conference. (after a couple of teams left)
Bergermeister

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
smubrooks wrote:If I was the Big12 I would have zero interest in adding SMU. ZERO.

SMU has not made an "upward" conference move since 1918 when we got membership in the Southwest Conference. (after a couple of teams left)

How soon they forget. Granted, they were "baby steps" but WAC leftovers to CUSA to AAC were all slight upgrades
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
How soon they forget. Granted, they were "baby steps" but WAC leftovers to CUSA to AAC were all slight upgrades

and then the AAC downgrades so they can fall below CUSA and the WAC. Chances of us moving up have greatly diminished.
redpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:34 pm

Who could forget #SMU2BCS ???
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:02 pm

Still got my coozie
ponyboy