PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the Spring Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby JasonB » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:34 pm

I wasn't able to attend any spring practices this year (hopefully the coaches loosen up the visitor policy in the Fall), but here are my notes from the Spring Game:
- Defense is a 4-2-5, and is incredibly dynamic. They can do a lot of different things with the nickelback position and two safeties. Very aggressive, press coverage from corners, and a vertical rush from the line. Lots of different types of blitzes from the LB and corners. If you go back a couple years, the defensive line under Rambo was pressure first. Last year especially, we dialed that back, asking linemen to occupy blockers rather than penetrate. It helped the run, but the pass rush suffered. That won't be the case with this defense. Pass rushing is a priority. Speed difference is noticeable with one less LB on the field and replacing them with an extra corner. Also, having Phillips as a central LB instead of Moore or Hailey is a significant bump in speed and athleticism.
- The entire practice was 1s versus 2s/3s, on both sides.
- The first string defense is really fast and athletic. Johnson and Westfall starting at corner, NWO and Massey at safety, Crossley and Clay and nickelback, ISM and Phillips LB, and then Aho, Levelston, Newman, and Paul at DE. They were all over the place, and absolutely obliterated the 2s and 3s. Because the corners have the ability to press and play in smaller spaces, it plays to the strength s of Johnson and Westfall. You can see also where the coaching staff values technique and positioning over pure athleticism.
- Rogers and McMorris were the second string corners, looking in warmups, I thought McMorris looked better than Rogers. McMorris has great length and is going to be really good.
- Reid also rotated in with the starting LBs.
- Levelston looks like a pro. He looks like someone who is really going to dominate next season.
- Aho is really quick. He doesn't have the height you want on the edge, but he is more thick than he was in the fall. In the fall, you could see his agility in drills, but in 1v1, he would just get stuck because of his lack of size. He still moves well, but he has more size now and can hold his own physically. The aggressive nature of the offense is going to suit him.
- Paul was the guy who really stood out to me. He looks different, and showed a lot more fluidity out there, kind of like what he did in spot action as a frosh. He looked to me like someone who is going to take a step forward.
- It seems clear to me that this defense is going to force incompletions, quick throws, and negative plays (sacks and turnovers), rather than be bend-don't-break. I think the starters are there to give the speed and athleticism we need to be successful defensively. We are clearly going to be a stop-the-pass first team. I worry about how we will be against great running teams, because, for example, in the starting lineup today Crossley, Paul, and Aho are much better in passing situations than they are against the run. But it is certainly a more modern defensive approach with an objective to generate negative plays and to have enough speed to confuse and cover space in the secondary.
- Massey had a wonderful pick and showed great athleticism on the return. The return got the reaction from the crowd, but the pick was a great read to cut off a pass over the middle in the endzone. I was really impressed with his reading of the game, we would not have seen that before. He looks all conference safety, this system might be perfect for him. He is going to absolutely explode this year, I think.
- There is a big drop off between second team and first team defense. Eby isn't a disaster, but struggled to make plays against the first team defense. Samuels you can see has a ton of length and in the 1v1 during warmups you could see his burst. But in the games against the 1's, he kind of held his own, but couldn't get a huge push up the field. Brown was also in the DT with the 2s and was meh. Not a disaster, just meh. That said, no Elijah, no Wiley, no Coxe makes a lot of difference in the game.
- I wouldn't be surprised to see Wiley asked to slim down a little and get that athleticism back once he does return.
- It will be interesting to see where Coxe fits. He is a good combo edge who is good against the run and with the pass rush, but he doesn't provide the vertical explosion that Aho or Wiley or Paul can provide.
- Braylen Jackson really stands out as well physically. Get him in the weight room so he can drive players back and I think you have a real player there. Impossible not to notice physically.
- Starting OL, L to R is Bryant, Thomas, Hickman, Ervin, Robinson
- There is going to be a lot of flack against the OL, but I think it is unfair. They are learning a new, much more aggressive blocking scheme. And on top of that, they are being asked to face a much more aggressive, dynamic blitzing system. It is kind of a worst case scenario. I expect them to get better with injury returns and transfers, but also because they will be more used to the new system/scheme. Players like Osborne and Robinson might excel in this scheme a little bit more.
- If I were going to place bets, I think early Fall they are going to try all of the players at the guard and Center positions (except the natural tackles like Bryant and Perdue). The best blockers who can play guard are going to stay at guard and center, where they need players who can move, but also who can dominate physically up the middle. They are going to want a clean pocket up front, and we can all remember that Rhett loves to hurry up and run a play up the middle on 3rd and short or first down after a big play. They need players who can dominate and get a push. I wouldn't be surprised if they try a Thomas, Robinson, Osborne combo for a little while. Hickman is solid, but not sure about the upside and I don't think he will be a guy who can dominate at the point of attack and get a push. Guys that don't win jobs at guard will be pushed outside.
- Watching warmups, I was really impressed with a route that Wiggins ran against Rogers. Rogers couldn't stay with him out of the break, and Wiggins created so much space that even though the pass was behind him, he still caught it.
- Lots of injuries, but Matthews-Harris was your starting TE with Rice, Wiggins, and Goffney. Goffney looks thicker. Epton was the starter at RB.
- Stone and Mordeci alternated with the 1s on offense.
- The offense facilitates quicker decision making. It is either an RPO with limited route tree (like a WR screen), or the WR are going long, the TE is available over the middle, the slot is running a crossing route, and the RB is leaking out to an open flat after a delay. The quarterbacks were much more quick with their decision making than in the fall. I think the scheme makes it easier to run through progressions.
- It is an interesting difference in the QBs. TM is your solid player. Nice arm strength, is going to make good decisions and not try to force balls in. When he throws deep, he tries to hit players on the run so that they get YAC, but it requires a perfect pass and he doesn't complete it a lot of the time. Higher percentage short pass, lower percentage long.
- Preston Stone is the gunslinger. It finally hit me - he reminds me of Farve. He has great mobility out there and isn't afraid to run with the ball. But he is going to look deep first every single time. He wants to go deep. He puts the deep ball in a spot were his WR can go up and get it - much higher completion rate on deep throws, and he is going to get a bunch of PI calls. Not as accurate on the shorter routes, but he can also run and make up for that. He had a throw toward the end in the endzone where you just say "oh no" because he tried to thread between multiple defenders 30 yards down field and somehow he almost completed it without it getting picked. That is the Farve, and it is a throw TM knows not to attempt. But then he also completed a hell of a pass in the back of the endzone towards the end that is a difference maker. He also threw a really nice TD at the beginning to Rice, where he just let Rice go up and make a play over a corner. That is a throw TM doesn't make, because he will try and perfect the throw into space.
- TM had a great throw to the back corner of the endzone to Upshaw from 30 yards out that was an absolute beauty.
- I don't know who ends up as the starter. If I want a home run hitter, it is Stone. If I want to control possession and keep the ball, it is TM. I could almost see and alternating QB situation until one of them gets in a rhythm during a game.
- Final note - Hall looks like a much, much, much better kicker now. I didn't pay attention at all to punting when they did a couple of those early. But his field goals were straight down the middle, long, and high. Morestead when he kicked field goals for us. Way more accurate than he was last year kicking field goals, and so much more power than our kicker had last year. That was really impressive to see.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts on the Spring Game

Postby dalpony » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:50 am

Great report JasonB - you are the best
dalpony
Varsity

Postby TidePony » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:42 am

It was a good atmosphere and I’m really looking forward to next year. All the NFL players were glad to be home!

In my opinion, Preston is the marquee QB for sure, and he’s significantly matured and grown. Comparing him to Farve is spot on. Tanner is also solid. We are lucky to have both of them. It will be interesting to see who starts against North Texas State.

It was a lot of fun last night. I peeked at the Soccer/Track stadium last night, too. It’s a beauty!
Last edited by TidePony on Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:18 am

It was nice to see my mustang family. Lots of people and smiles.

The BBQ was good as well as the black cherry truely.

Personally, could not tell much as many sitting out and no contact. 7 on 7 with no touching. After an hour and a half wife and I went home.

FYI, I liked the number of local coaches and players in attendance. That is my best take away of last night.

Hail to the Rhett and the blue!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:43 am

Does anyone know if the Bama rb was there watching?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jpe747 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:24 pm

The above was a very good assessment. I was glad to see the longer passes being thrown as felt last year that was weakness. I thought the line did better than I expected with the variety of stunts, etc. coming at them in spring ball. I also was happy to see TJ McDaniel play. He seemed healthy and ran with authority. There were a number of backs with impressive rushes. The rbs in general looked stronger then I was expecting. Defense looked mature for spring. I thought the receivers looked a little weak. But they probably just need to get used to the system and the playing time. I have to admit I went with a laundry list of players I wanted to watch. So outside of my list, much of what I have said is more impressions than note taking, or concentrated study. But that was my thoughts.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:37 pm

Jason is right about Jimmy Phillips. I think he has a chance to flourish in this defense
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby DC-Pony » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 am

Really good stuff JB et al. Thank you.

What’s tricky, and I know you all agree, is judging the team playing against the team. But I’m so encouraged about everything I hear regarding our passing defense and pass rush. The pass defense in particular last year was such an opportunity for improvement.

Interesting call-out regarding the rushing defense. Will be interesting how we fair against Navy (who we have at home). But, the other 11 opponents are going to sling it for the most part, so I’d rather be prepared for 11/12ths of my scheduled.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:55 am

What a fantastic “problem” we have at QB. Stone’s gonna need to get some reps this year - he’s earned it. But you don’t just throw away Mordecai. Glad I’m not the one making the decision as to who starts.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:34 pm

Will be interesting to see what happens at the QB position going forward. Great competition with Preston and Tanner both capable of leading this team and hopefully good chemistry between them. Tanner might actually have 2 more years of eligibility with the "Covid bonus" year and Kevin Henry-Jennings looks like a very competitive guy as well. Hopefully SMU will be solid at the QB position for years to come
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm

DC-Pony wrote:Really good stuff JB et al. Thank you.

What’s tricky, and I know you all agree, is judging the team playing against the team. But I’m so encouraged about everything I hear regarding our passing defense and pass rush. The pass defense in particular last year was such an opportunity for improvement.

Interesting call-out regarding the rushing defense. Will be interesting how we fair against Navy (who we have at home). But, the other 11 opponents are going to sling it for the most part, so I’d rather be prepared for 11/12ths of my scheduled.

I couldn't agree more. I'll sacrifice the Navy game for a modern defense that is effective against everyone else. Liberty was one of only 6 teams in the country with a sack percentage above 10%. If we can get anything close to that it will make a massive difference.
JasonB

Postby Topper » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm

Thank you Jason B. Very comprehensive report!
Topper
Hall of Famer

Return to Football