PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NIL Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NIL Question

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:42 pm

Does anyone have any updates on SMU’s NIL’s?

I’ve heard about 3 of them.

1) PonySports DTX run by Pony Law Express
2) Bold which appears to have tie-ins to our Athletic Dept & the Dallas business community.
3) PonyUp run by Paul Loyd with Eric Dickerson and Kelvin Beachum as contributors and promising over $1M annually of NIL $$$ to the football team.

Are any of these NIL’s related to the rumors of Hart leaving this summer????

I quickly looked up this info on Dallas (the FB & BB data is not current but i suspect still quite relevant).

Dallas metro area was ranked #2 in HS football talent behind only Los Angeles.
Dallas was ranked #7 in HS basketball talent, but in reality were 4th as 3 cities are BB Academy cities, only Chicago, Memphis & Indianapolis are ranked higher in BB than Dallas.
Dallas & NYC are only cities in America with Fortune 500 corporate revenues over $1T.
DFW has the 5th largest TV market.
SMU is one of about 80 schools with an endowment over $2B, but of those schools, only half participate in P5 or P5 wannabe athletics.

Potential is clearly there, i just haven’t heard much about their accomplishments to date.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NIL Question

Postby BUS » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:35 am

PonySports DTX is the one I help support. I am a small fish in the pond, and I'll leave the big guys to do their job and will encourage others to help and donate where they can.

This is going to be a game changer. NIL is what we were doing in the 80's. Stay legal and we win... A LOT!

God's Peace
G
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:43 am

I'm with BUS in that I'm another small contributor that has joined PonySports DTX. Very appreciative of our BMDs but PonySports DTX allows all of us to contribute at whatever level you are comfortable with. Really appreciate the time the organizers are investing in making SMU football/bball more competitive under the new rules
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:44 am

Great NIL themed SMU poster:

Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:02 pm

I think what PonyLaw Express is doing is amazing. That said, what i liked about the other NIL’s is their proposed tie-ins to business/job/career opportunities in Dallas, that’s a huge bonus few P5 schools can match (I even think PLE’s NIL should be able to piggyback onto this).

I just haven’t heard an progress on these NILs other than their initial pronouncements. I did wonder if the BMD’s preferred a different leader in our Athletic Department to spearhead all this, thus the Hart departure rumors.

Clearly this is transformational and i absolutely love the Trans A&M in the poster below. I’m assuming that’s the PonyUp NIL which ED supports.

Once again, any progress reports on these NIL’s would be greatly appreciated.
SoCal_Pony

Postby well travelled pony » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:57 pm

I understand this is a basketball player, but snap. This is what SMU faces...https://twitter.com/asimsgiddyup/status ... ztbWQ&s=19
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:00 pm

NIL and transfer portal are making college coaches earn those outrageous salaries

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ter-churn/
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:55 pm

Simple Question

Would you rather have Lincoln Riley as your HC at $10M per year, or Sam Pittman for under $4M per year and with that savings give each of your starting players on offense & defense $275k per year in NIL?

I say the Pittman led team win$
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:47 am

Good point. The latter
ponyboy

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:48 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Simple Question

Would you rather have Lincoln Riley as your HC at $10M per year, or Sam Pittman for under $4M per year and with that savings give each of your starting players on offense & defense $275k per year in NIL?

I say the Pittman led team win$

That's assuming you are dealing with a fixed amount of money. I don't know what's happening at Arkansas, but at USC the pools for coaching salaries and NIL are both increasing significantly.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:16 pm

Yes, CA, USC certainly has deep pockets.

My point is as Men’s FB & BB becomes more and more ‘pro-like’, the schools that will best navigate these NIL waters are those that figure out ways to put more monies / opportunities in the athletes pockets and fewer and fewer (relatively speaking) in the coaches and the schools pockets.

Just like the NFL
Just like the NBA

The average NBA coach makes ~$5M per year
The average NBA team makes ~$136M per year

Coach Pop is the highest paid NBA coach at $11M per year
The top 10 highest paid NBA players average $42M per year

See where this is going?????
SoCal_Pony

Postby JasonB » Mon May 02, 2022 10:23 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:Yes, CA, USC certainly has deep pockets.

My point is as Men’s FB & BB becomes more and more ‘pro-like’, the schools that will best navigate these NIL waters are those that figure out ways to put more monies / opportunities in the athletes pockets and fewer and fewer (relatively speaking) in the coaches and the schools pockets.

Just like the NFL
Just like the NBA

The average NBA coach makes ~$5M per year
The average NBA team makes ~$136M per year

Coach Pop is the highest paid NBA coach at $11M per year
The top 10 highest paid NBA players average $42M per year

See where this is going?????

Why do you think Dabo and others don't like NIL? The alumni will pull the money used to fund coaching salaries and put it towards the players.
JasonB

Postby Dukie » Mon May 02, 2022 5:46 pm

well travelled pony wrote:I understand this is a basketball player, but snap. This is what SMU faces...https://twitter.com/asimsgiddyup/status ... ztbWQ&s=19

I totally still agree with your point, but it's hilarious the extent to which Mr. Wong has walked back all of his threats. The Duke Basketball Report take on this is that Wong "reined in" his agent who got way ahead of things; my guess is that Wong meant the first report and is now backtracking because he was reminded of clauses in his current NIL deal with that Miami booster. :lol:

https://twitter.com/zaywong21/status/15 ... xE0zERLSxA
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 09, 2022 5:17 pm

Watch out. NCAA will investigate SMU long before looking into what might be happening at Texa$ or at A$M

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... g-process/
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Mon May 09, 2022 5:36 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Watch out. NCAA will investigate SMU long before looking into what might be happening at Texa$ or at A$M

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... g-process/

Sign tons of deals before they change the rules. If they come for you, fight like hell.

Also, replace the AD. Very impressed with what Shockers fans accomplished.
Dukie
Heisman

Next

Return to Football