PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pierre Goree

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Pierre Goree

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:49 am

mtrout wrote:https://twitter.com/pgupnext/status/1531439385513697285

Not sure about Title IX implications for bringing back men's track & field but with women's equestrian, cross country, volleyball and rowing helping to offset football numbers, I would think it might be feasible? Not sure if this is a budget or Title IX issue these days.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dalpony » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:01 am

Both
dalpony
Varsity

Postby shadowman » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:08 am

I respect that he wants to honor his commitment, I truly do, but no one will be mad or blame him if he decommits and goes to a school where he can do both. When he signed with SMU, no one knew (not even him) that he would develop into a potential world class sprinter.

Now that he has, he has to move on.

It's OK Pierre, we understand.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:24 am

We didn't do it for Margus Hunt who was a world class thrower. I doubt we'll do it for one sprinter. We won the men's NCAA indoor once and in 1976 with only six men's track athletes placed in the top 20. If we at least had 4 we could at least show a legitimate 4x4 team. He could do pro track and still play football at SMU. You can do that now if its a different sport.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:30 pm

Oil is back to $115. You never know what might happen. Price of a barrel of oil plummeting was one of many reasons we did not do the super IPF. Kudos for this kid for trying to make things happen.

Be a victor not a victim.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyswim » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:00 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mtrout wrote:https://twitter.com/pgupnext/status/1531439385513697285

Not sure about Title IX implications for bringing back men's track & field but with women's equestrian, cross country, volleyball and rowing helping to offset football numbers, I would think it might be feasible? Not sure if this is a budget or Title IX issue these days.

Title IX is not about number of sports, it is about equal opportunity for both sexes in participation, scholarship money, etc. So having one person run track would not impact things in a Title IX way EXCEPT that if the men are going to be competing, they have to have the same opportunity for coaching, travel, etc that the women have. University of Miami (Fla) has a men's diving team - but not a men's swimming team. That might be the best "model" to look at.
ponyswim
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football