PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pierre Goree

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pierre Goree

Postby Terry Webster » Thu May 05, 2022 12:47 pm

Interesting article about him in the DMN. I didn't get a chance to read it all since it is behind the paywall but the little I did read raises the point about how whether we are going to be able to keep a football player who happens to be the fastest runner in the state without a track program. Any thoughts?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Pierre Goree

Postby mtrout » Sat May 07, 2022 2:03 pm

This may be a similar article.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/is- ... 9ff6254266

"I'm gonna stay with [SMU] and see if I can work something out with them or not," Goree said before Wednesday's practice. "And if not, God got me."

Ruh roh.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Sat May 07, 2022 2:56 pm

I saw that as more that he is planning on sticking with us.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat May 07, 2022 4:38 pm

Why it has taken so long to resume operations in men's track & field and cross country is beyond me. We should have never dropped it to begin with. Dropping other sports made much more sense. We really need to add it back to prevent this from ever happening. A DI university in Texas should always have Football, Track, and even baseball. We are at the kiddy table and that's where we belong with out lack of commitment.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dalpony » Sat May 07, 2022 6:59 pm

The reason given at the time was mostly financial - we were told that men’s track and field counts as 3 sports
1. Outdoor track
2. Indoor track
3. Cross Country
Meaning that we would have to add two woman’s sports to make up the difference

Always thought the real reason was the only other sport they could cut would be men’s soccer and and RGT would do that because of Lamar Hunt
dalpony
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Sun May 08, 2022 9:24 am

Soccer and Swimming have never been nearly as successful as our Track program was and Track is much more important for the overall athletic department as there are many multi-sport athletes that excel in Track.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Sun May 08, 2022 12:38 pm

I will allow the swimmers to debate your statement
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Pierre Goree

Postby mrydel » Sun May 08, 2022 12:38 pm

Last edited by mrydel on Sun May 08, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrydel

Pierre Goree

Postby mrydel » Sun May 08, 2022 12:39 pm

mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun May 08, 2022 2:01 pm

mrydel wrote:I will allow the swimmers to debate your statement

Lol, you are being kind. From SMU’s own website:

“The SMU swimming and diving programs boast a proud history, highlighted by the men’s and women’s teams earning 58 conference championships and qualifying for 95 appearances at the NCAA National Championships. SMU swimmers and divers have earned 155 national titles and been honored as All Americans 1,465 times. Six Mustangs have been recognized as NCAA Swimmer of the Year or Diver of the Year.

SMU men’s and women’s swimmers have qualified for 109 Olympic appearances since 1952, winning eight gold medals, eight silver medals and four bronze medals.”

xc, most of these accomplishments occurred during our SWC days.
SoCal_Pony

Postby well travelled pony » Sun May 08, 2022 7:26 pm

mustangxc wrote:Soccer and Swimming have never been nearly as successful as our Track program was and Track is much more important for the overall athletic department as there are many multi-sport athletes that excel in Track.

Umm, guess you fail to see what SMU Swimming and Diving (Men's and Women's) has accomplished over DECADES. Swimming and Diving Coahes are legendary.
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby SMUFan » Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 pm

dalpony wrote:The reason given at the time was mostly financial - we were told that men’s track and field counts as 3 sports
1. Outdoor track
2. Indoor track
3. Cross Country
Meaning that we would have to add two woman’s sports to make up the difference

Always thought the real reason was the only other sport they could cut would be men’s soccer and and RGT would do that because of Lamar Hunt

Soccer isn't going anywhere, nor should it. It has been in the top 20 for most of the last what, 30 years? Plus, Lamar Hunt's grandson, the son of FC Dallas owner Clark Hunt, is on the team, and SMU just built a fantastic new soccer stadium. Soccer is here to stay.

Also, didn't someone on here write that the track is usable for training, but not accepted as a regulation or up-to-standard facility? They'd have to build a new one. Track was dumped for budget reasons.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby SMUFan » Sun May 08, 2022 11:08 pm

well travelled pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Soccer and Swimming have never been nearly as successful as our Track program was and Track is much more important for the overall athletic department as there are many multi-sport athletes that excel in Track.

Umm, guess you fail to see what SMU Swimming and Diving (Men's and Women's) has accomplished over DECADES. Swimming and Diving Coahes are legendary.

Like soccer, SMU has invested heavily in recent years in swimming facilities. Also not going anywhere, nor should it.

SMU talks all the time about competing with a smaller budget than other schools. It's hard to imagine adding any more sports, maybe even if the next realignment ends up with us somehow landing in another conference. But that's years off, if ever.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon May 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Perhaps kind, but uninformed. SMU Men's Track & Field boasts 3 National Championships as well as several national trophies. Which of those other programs has won a national championship?

SMU Track & Field was never designed to succeed at the conference level (depth), the goal was always to succeed on a national level (elite athletes) and we did.
mustangxc

Postby Buddha » Mon May 09, 2022 8:43 pm

mtrout wrote:This may be a similar article.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/is- ... 9ff6254266

"I'm gonna stay with [SMU] and see if I can work something out with them or not," Goree said before Wednesday's practice. "And if not, God got me."

Ruh roh.

What does "work something out with them" mean? It's not like a track team will be added for one guy. Yes, I think we should have one, but the economics say that's not going to happen.

So is there a way he could somehow compete as an independent?
Buddha
All-American

Next

Return to Football