PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USC/UCLA to B1G

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: USC/UCLA to B1G

Postby EastStang » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:05 am

A truly sage move by the B1G would be to move into Dallas. Much bigger market than Portland and Seattle.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasMustang11 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:13 am

EastStang wrote:A truly sage move by the B1G would be to move into Dallas. Much bigger market than Portland and Seattle.

Maybe it’s my pessimistic nature but I don’t think this will happen. If it did though man that would be amazing.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:53 am

If Rutgers gives them the NY market I think SMU would give them the Dallas if not Texas market. We need to step up our research dollars and possibly add a medical school though.
mustangxc

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:27 am

Mustangs35SMU wrote:If I'm Oregon, I push to join the Big 12 in a heart beat. Gives them a heart chance to recruit harder in Texas than they already do, plus it's a winnable conference for them.

Oregon already recruits Texas ... and it's hard to believe Oregon/Nike leaders are excited about selling their fans on the upcoming matchups against Kansas State and Texas Tech.

ponyboy wrote:I love change. I hate this move. Does geography and history mean nothing anymore?

Geography and history haven't meant anything for years.

mustangxc wrote:If Rutgers gives them the NY market I think SMU would give them the Dallas if not Texas market. We need to step up our research dollars and possibly add a medical school though.

Rutgers doesn't give them NY market. College football ranks behind skating in Central Park in terms of relevance in NYC.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:41 am

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... orld-order

"Could [the Pac12] try to add San Diego State to get a foothold back in Southern California? Would Boise State loom as a potential addition? UNLV's market and facilities make sense, but its football history is generally dismal. Could the league make a Texas play for one of the Big 12 schools or SMU?"
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby DallasMustang11 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:10 am

tristatecoog wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34177745/what-college-football-most-powerful-people-saying-sport-new-world-order

"Could [the Pac12] try to add San Diego State to get a foothold back in Southern California? Would Boise State loom as a potential addition? UNLV's market and facilities make sense, but its football history is generally dismal. Could the league make a Texas play for one of the Big 12 schools or SMU?"

I’d think the TV money for new PAC12 would be comparable if not out right worse than the TV deal for the new BIG12. Hard to see a Texas BIG12 school taking a risk joining a PAC12 with no USC/UCLA and possibly Oregon/Washington without a large financial incentive.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby BUS » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:23 am

ACC please. They need western exposure and ability to improve texas recruiting.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mtrout » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 pm

I don't understand how a conference adding a Texas school improves their Texas recruiting.
If the AAC added Cal, would it improve our CA recuriting? "Hey bro we play Cal at Cal once every 2 years! Committed, right?". That's the sell?

Not trying to be an a-hole but I don't comprehend it.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:51 pm

Well if you never go to where the pretty woman is, how will you ever meet her? Any exposure is more than no exposure.

There are people under 30 here in Arkansas who do not know SMU exists. If they do it is mostly because of Pony Excess. But I can guarantee you if we played Arkansas every year, they would know us very well.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:10 pm

If multiple PAC teams were still in play, the move would have been larger. The BIG is waiting on ND and then will decide between Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Colorado to join them. The thing about the west is that I think rivals will stick together. USC and UCLA were a package deal. So will Stanford/Cal, Oregon/Oregon State, Washington/Wasthington State. A lot of the PAC schools have already said they value academics, morals, and relationships as more important than just money. Which is why I think that after ND joins the BIG, Colorado is the school that follows.

The remaining PAC schools will then look to expand. All of the remaining schools in the PAC carry way, way more weight than any of the Big 12 schools both from an academic perspective, a money perspective, and from a population perspective. The PAC will take SDSU plus whatever else it wants, and then the Big 12 will morph into a slightly improved version of what the AAC was. We hope for the PAC, but I think worst case we end up in the leftover Big 12 conference.

In Oliver Luck we trust.
JasonB

Postby bubba pony » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm

[/quote]
Rutgers doesn't give them NY market. College football ranks behind skating in Central Park in terms of relevance in NYC.[/quote]

I agree with that, pretty much the entire Northeast doesn't care about college football. What Rutgers brings is location. It is one short train ride to NYC, Philadelphia, Atlantic City (gambling). Rutgers lures conference alumni to visit NYC. Lots to do in NYC after the game. Bring the wife: Happy Wife, Happy life.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm

mrydel wrote:Well if you never go to where the pretty woman is, how will you ever meet her? Any exposure is more than no exposure.

There are people under 30 here in Arkansas who do not know SMU exists. If they do it is mostly because of Pony Excess. But I can guarantee you if we played Arkansas every year, they would know us very well.

Good point on the woman analogy.

That being said, there are people under 30 in DFW who do not know SMU exists. Have experienced this enough times that it's starting to become hurtful lol
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:51 pm

In summary, we have to have patience.

The PAC12 will be looking to expand, while hoping to retain Oregon and Washington, who would jump to the Big10 if offered.

The Big12 would love to take Utah, Colorado and the two AZ schools.

ACC isn't unable to do much at this time, despite ND is their most important option. And they need to hold on to NC and Virginia, who because of their status could go to SEC or Big10 before Clemson, Florida State, or Miami.

Don't be totally surprised if Notre Dame finally gives up independence and heads to the Big10 for money that ACC could never provide. Full ACC FB membership makes no sense for the Irish.

All of the above scenarios mean we have to wait until some of these alternatives happen or not. Only then can we possibly be in play and not before.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:56 pm

We need to beat TCU and MD. That would open some eyes.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:23 pm

There is clearly a P2 now and one of the other P5 will need to move quickly to see if they can become a new P3 or further disintegrate for the P2 to take on more schools.

I personally think the ACC (from top to bottom) is the best remaining of the other 3 conferences. If I were them, I’d move quick to bring on Stanford, Oregon, Washington, (two of the following: Kansas, Ok State or West Virginia) and another school in the south or Midwest (selfishly I would want that to be SMU to have presence in DFW / Texas). But I feel Houston or even TCU are ahead of us.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football