PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USC/UCLA to B1G

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: USC/UCLA to B1G

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:17 pm

I never thought it would ever actually happen - but the chances of some sort of league that included SMU, Wake, Stanford, Rice, Tulane, etc are a lot higher today than ever. (Not that I think that will actually happen or even want that to happen - I don't). You know the ACC wants to dump Wake at first chance.

I would love for SMU to be in a conference that included the AZ schools as that would be an excellent road trip each year (for football and Basketball).

SMU and TCU should just kiss and make up and jointly approach Pac12 conference offering up DFW as a pair.

Leave Baylor Tech and Houston to hold down the B-12 with the rest of the misfits (I am assuming KU gone soon)
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:56 pm

Another expansion thread and another kitten died. I would of course hope its the ACC that comes calling because I live in the East. Whichever conference comes calling (if any) is going to want us and a Houston school for Texas recruiting. If Rice is truly going to step up its game, then they would be a natural. Houston already hitched its wagon to the Big 12 toaster leavins. A strategic move by the Big XII might be to add SMU and Rice to block the ACC and Pac 12 from those markets. Remember Rice also adds a strong baseball program which for the ACC and PAC 12 means something. Other than Clemson right now the rest of the ACC is quite frankly not that good in football. We add strong soccer tennis and golf which for the ACC means something. PAC 12 perhaps tennis and golf. The key is the Texas market. For the Dallas area cable systems if the ACC or PAC 12 have their own network, then having SMU makes their network a must carry. Same with Rice in Houston. That means real $$$$ to the conferences even if our attendance is mediocre.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:39 pm

USC vs. Oregon in the Rose Bowl is going to be weird!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:54 pm

to me, the question is do (AZ, AZ St, Colorado & Utah) value the remaining PAC12 over the B12 and would they if/when WA & Oregon bail.

If those 4 schools bolt to the B12 it becomes very crazy. I’m thinking they will because the Western US does not have quality schools to replace USC/UCLA/WA/Oregon….the 4 B12 add-ons when UT/OU left was manageable…not really the case with the PAC12.

also wondering how Minnesota, Purdue & Northwestern are feeling right now.
SoCal_Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:57 pm

EastStang wrote:Another expansion thread and another kitten died. I would of course hope its the ACC that comes calling because I live in the East. Whichever conference comes calling (if any) is going to want us and a Houston school for Texas recruiting. If Rice is truly going to step up its game, then they would be a natural. Houston already hitched its wagon to the Big 12 toaster leavins. A strategic move by the Big XII might be to add SMU and Rice to block the ACC and Pac 12 from those markets. Remember Rice also adds a strong baseball program which for the ACC and PAC 12 means something. Other than Clemson right now the rest of the ACC is quite frankly not that good in football. We add strong soccer tennis and golf which for the ACC means something. PAC 12 perhaps tennis and golf. The key is the Texas market. For the Dallas area cable systems if the ACC or PAC 12 have their own network, then having SMU makes their network a must carry. Same with Rice in Houston. That means real $$$$ to the conferences even if our attendance is mediocre.

You made my day EastStang with the kitten/expansion reference...sigh.

At this point, Rice adds nothing to the table for another current P-5 to expand into Houston along with SMU. They bring nothing to the table, as the city is equally distributed in loyalty to UT, A&M, LSU and UH. SMU itself is in a reasonable position to receive attention from the ACC, although we are a train wreck in lacking other traditional sports (track and baseball) that are HUGE ACC must-haves.

IF this move by USC and UCLA is a go, it does shift the ground again, and it may work to our advantage if our AD and President are aggressive in working phones, emails and relationships. Without any derogatory comments included (by request above), I'll get some popcorn going and wait and see.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:58 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:USC vs. Oregon in the Rose Bowl is going to be weird!

Don’t see that happening.

My bet is the Rose Bowl allegiance will be with B10, not the PAC12.

Also don’t see Oregon remaining in the Pac12.
SoCal_Pony

Postby fan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Were going somewhere. If the Pac 12 gets 4 from the Big 12 we're going to the Big 12, if the Big 12 gets 4 from the PAC 12 we're going to the PAC 12. ACC is the best fit for us but don't see it happening.
fan
Varsity

Postby shadowman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:07 pm

If the Big 10 also included Oregon and Washington or perhaps more, I could see the Big12 taking the leftovers such as Arizona, Colorado, and Utah.

It would then make sense for them to jettison Cincy and UCF as the footprint would move west not East. Now that would be funny, we can take their exit fee and then charge them a reentry fee!

Best case for SMU is that the PAC12 wins out and absorbs some of the Big12. SMU would then be in a position for a Big12 invite, albeit a Big12 that resembles the AAC more than the current Big12.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:13 pm

Also,

those damn Houston Cougars are in a very good position, you have to figure that regardless of who wins between the PAC12 and Big12, they would be included in the stronger league, either moving with others to the Pac12 or benefitting from a Big12 raid.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm

Water Pony wrote:Hart bashing is getting old. With all the sea changes, we have to wait our turn; probably until the ACC, Big12, and Pac12 determine what their moves need to be.

Either this makes SMU attractive as a Dallas based university with upside for ACC or Pac12 or the two Super Conferences add more schools, e.g., Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, etc.
The second point creates additional delays on what the remaining three P5 conferences to have to consider.

Patience. :|

Hart bashing never gets old. He needs to try to push us to the front of the line. Waiting our turn let us get passed by the likes of Coog High and Florida Directional School. In 2 years, when UNT and UTSA get better offers, we'll still be biding our time.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Silk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:28 pm

1. Hart isn't going anywhere. He was just named president or director or something of the AAC ADs. He would not have gotten named if he was about to get bounced.

2. Hard to believe the Big 12 would dump Cincinnati or UCF. Got to cash those checks, since TV and attendance money will dwindle in the years ahead.

3. Even if Oregon and Washington join the Big 10 (which is really going to need a new name), the Pac-12 would be a great landing spot. I'd love to see trips to Tempe, Tucson, Palo Alto, Corvallis, Boulder and whatever town Utah plays in.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:30 pm

If I'm Oregon, I push to join the Big 12 in a heart beat. Gives them a heart chance to recruit harder in Texas than they already do, plus it's a winnable conference for them.

Hoping we can make a push to the ACC with this. They're going to have to make some type of move.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:53 pm

I love change. I hate this move. Does geography and history mean nothing anymore?
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:25 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:I'm confident Ricky can secure our future with a bid to join the Southland Conference and our traditional rivals SFA and Lamar.

I honestly think this is the more likely scenario.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:17 am

Big 10, which already has the largest per member revenue stream has now added California to the mix to counter the SEC's expansion. If further expansion occurs, I could see the Big 10 adding Oregon and Washington for Seattle and Portland markets and to help move their brand coast to coast. As someone already mentioned, they really need to change the name of their conference.

I just don't see opportunity anywhere for SMU unless we can raise the profile of both our football and basketball programs to perennial Top 25 status, although it might take Top 10 to get noticed considering our lack of a large fan following.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football