PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mordecai

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mordecai

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:43 pm

I agree that Hixson has to be on there, but since I never saw him play, I can't guess where he fits on the list
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:10 pm

Hixson was an above average QB playing for a team that was barely above average by the time I saw him play his senior season at SMU. He had a good enough college career that he was drafted by Kansas City but never played. I would put Meredith at the top of my list but agree some of the modern day guys like McCown, Gilbert and Buechele were pretty talented as well. Anyone talented enough to play in the NFL has to be on anyone's list but it Lance sure fit the mold of what the Pony Express needed back in his day.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:51 pm

Hixson was 40/76 for 437 yards against Ohio State in 1968. Ohio State was an undefeated #1 team in the nation that year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:12 pm

You’re not listening to me: I saw them all. Dandy Don Meredith. End of story.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm

Arkpony wrote:You’re not listening to me: I saw them all. Dandy Don Meredith. End of story.
No argument from me. Just pointing out some Hixson stats for those that did not have the opportunity to see him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:10 pm

Hixson's Soph season was really impressive but his stats got progressively worse his Jr & Sr seasons. i only got to watch him in person his Sr year but he was still pretty impressive compared to other SWC QBs that I can recall of that era
Charleston Pony

Postby Buddha » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:09 am

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:McCown should be higher. I don't know how much higher, but higher. I'm still bitter that Cavan ran him off.

Also, I didn't know this: McCown also became the first player in NFL history to record more than 450 passing yards, two passing touchdowns, a rushing touchdown, and no interceptions in one game

I would love to see what McCown would have done under someone who knew how to coach quarterbacks. He's probably the most physically gifted QB I saw at SMU.
Buddha
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:44 pm

Buddha wrote:
BleedingRed+Blue wrote:McCown should be higher. I don't know how much higher, but higher. I'm still bitter that Cavan ran him off.

Also, I didn't know this: McCown also became the first player in NFL history to record more than 450 passing yards, two passing touchdowns, a rushing touchdown, and no interceptions in one game

I would love to see what McCown would have done under someone who knew how to coach quarterbacks. He's probably the most physically gifted QB I saw at SMU.

Actually, Cavan was a former QB and a very capable QB coach who I thought was pretty tough on McCown at times. I recall that McCown made some poor decisions and did not throw a good deep ball and I will always remember the one game when McCown, after being chased from the pocket on a 3rd and long could have easily run for a 1st down but elected to throw an incompletion down field and he did that right in front of Cavan who berated him on the sideline. McCown was talented but may have struggled with the criticism he got from Cavan. As a QB coach himself these days, I wonder if McCown takes a much softer and more positive approach with QBs he works with.
Charleston Pony

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:20 pm

Bo Levi was really coming on in that last UH game. Was bummed to see him replaced. Went on to dominate at EWU.

Had he been redshirted, played 4 years, he would hold all the records IMO
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:40 am

We totally left out Mike Livingston. I think he only played/started at QB his senior year, 67, due
to Mac White, but played 12 seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs. From Wikipedia he started 75
games, and played in 91. I saw him play against Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl in 67, and I believe a
cousin of mine knew him from little or pony league baseball.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football