PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:47 pm

SMU a prized get for the Pac-12. Just what they want - a team that has more players on the field than fans in the stands. SMU is going to be a revenue generating monster for the conference.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 pm

geezerdonk wrote:SMU a prized get for the Pac-12. Just what they want - a team that has more players on the field than fans in the stands. SMU is going to be a revenue generating monster for the conference.

You have to have consistent 9/10 win seasons to keep fans going. Thanksgiving week is always a bomb especially throw in weather. School needs to do a better job getting people to the game. TCU game shows we can draw a crowd and that GDE was awful. Everyone involved needs to make sure the infrastructure is strong enough to make it fun. I will tell you as a long time fan that was the most embarrassing performance by an admin I've ever seen. It was amazing people even came back for subsequent games.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Paladin » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:37 pm

Coach of team wearing red and blue, not happy with fan attendance at games this season: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-m ... ec-opener/
Paladin
All-American

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:29 pm

perhaps our pres. brought those attendance issues with him from Ol Miss. We seem to have the same attendance issues.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:09 pm

Paladin wrote:Coach of team wearing red and blue, not happy with fan attendance at games this season: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-m ... ec-opener/

Thanks for sharing

The average duration of a CF game is over 3 hours & 20 minutes
The average actual time the ball is in play is under 15 minutes

These attendance issues are not going away and will only magnify over time

SMU would be wise in understanding this in regards to its Ford expansion
SoCal_Pony

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:27 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:The average duration of a CF game is over 3 hours & 20 minutes
The average actual time the ball is in play is under 15 minutes

So ... triple (or more?) the time a baseball is in play.

Forgive me if I feel no sympathy for Kiffin. He hates the environment at Ole Miss so much he just re-upped for something like $9 million/year. Somehow I think he'll endure the shame of the fans leaving early.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:06 am

I’ve been to games in Alabama where the students (and season ticket holders) never show up or are long gone by halftime. In fact, I’ve also read the emails from Coach Saban that ask students to come to the game, cheer, and stay until the end. It’s just not us!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:20 am

People show up for:

1) winners
2) closers
3) relevant competition
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:35 am

100% correct
redpony

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:49 am

300% correct
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:01 am

The question is will more fans show up to see UTSA or Cal? Rice or Stanford? USF or Ore. St? ECU or WSU? UNCC or SDS? UAB or Utah? Temple or Colorado? Navy or Oregon? Memphis or Washington? Tulsa or ASU? AU or Tulane. Our newly designed conference will be an attendance killer. The only close call might be Navy and Oregon on that list.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 am

EastStang wrote:The question is will more fans show up to see UTSA or Cal? Rice or Stanford? USF or Ore. St? ECU or WSU? UNCC or SDS? UAB or Utah? Temple or Colorado? Navy or Oregon? Memphis or Washington? Tulsa omASU? AU or Tulane. Our newly designed conference will be an attendance killer. The only close call might be Navy and Oregon on that list.

EastStang, Gr8 observation. I believe nationally ranked brands will draw more Dallas fans. Plus, large Pac12 school fans may travel to DFW (good, non-stop flights). Perhaps more than most AAC fans with the exception of Texas schools like NT, Rice, and UTSA.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 am

If we join the PAC, for historic and cost reasons, i could see WA-WA St-Oregon-Oregon St all playing each other annually.

I could then see SMU playing Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado & Utah. Large state schools, 3 with non-stop flights to Love Field. That + us being in a P5 will improve attendance, the question being how much.

I go back to Northwestern. Private school located in large city, but with almost 2x our enrollment and playing large regional state schools including Ohio St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan & Michigan St. Yet their new $800M stadium will only seat 35k.

Improve Ford, but no reason whatsoever to increase capacity by more than 1 or 2k. If we could, i prefer the improvements done on the north side with the horseshoe remaining open, thus reducing seating.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Spot-on SoCal Pony,

As a Chicagoan, your comment about the new $850M, reduced capacity (35K) Northwestern Stadium in Evanston is a great analogy. Their new stadium will maximize the fan experience (outdoor, full canopy over stands, designed as an entertainment venue, and intimate) will be a great destination for locals (whether NU fans or not) and visitors.

Imagine Ford reimagined this way? It becomes a great outdoor entertainment center and one that would be a draw for casual fans of football, e.g., worth attending.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 pm

SoCal you are probably right to be concerned and I could agree that attendance might not bump up that much given no regional rival. I agree we should improve but not expand but put in a design that could be easily added with space and structural support at the foundation for a deck on the east side. This is only if we had 3 years of solid attendance and tickets on reserve kind of thing.

Comparing with northwestern, while I don't know much about them, I think they're more comparable to a P5 Tulane. No history. No real rivals to point to. We had at least a legacy in SWC and those Big 12 teams enjoy playing us and draws a crowd. Just my $.02.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football