PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:50 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:It's good the addition appears to be designed in a way we can keep it intact and still implode Ford since it desperately needs it.

This is utterly ridiculous.

However - achievable fixes could be create a euro style canopy for east side, fix some concourse widths and replace bench’s with actual seats.

If I’m into mistaken i see a bit of grass lawn on the east side - Hope that is for students and a nod to our tradition.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:19 pm

gostangs wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:It's good the addition appears to be designed in a way we can keep it intact and still implode Ford since it desperately needs it.

However - achievable fixes could be create a euro style canopy for east side, fix some concourse widths and replace bench’s with actual seats.

If I’m into mistaken i see a bit of grass lawn on the east side - Hope that is for students and a nod to our tradition.

That little bit of grass won't hold all the students currently using the grassed area. Evidently we need to take out all the benches in the student section and replace with grass.

What we really need is to be in a conference that allows the students to sit behind the visiting team like the Big 12 does. They seem to really like that.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Water Pony » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:24 pm

gostangs wrote:

This, PLUS the New FB Operations Bldg and Seats in the South End Zone!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:29 pm

gostangs wrote:

I prefer the benches over seats. Comfort level is night and day.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:47 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
gostangs wrote:

I prefer the benches over seats. Comfort level is night and day.

Wow i disagree - note having a back to the seat is an issue for most. Seats are way more comfortable.
gostangs

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:02 pm

There are backs to the benches
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:02 pm

Latest PAC News -

1) The University of California Board of Regents is reviewing UCLA’s entry into the Big Ten. A final decision is expected Dec 14th.

2) The Pac-12’s media rights negotiations won’t be completed before the New Year.

3) Only after the new media rights deal is secured will the PAC explore expansion options.
SoCal_Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:25 am

Will they negotiate money now for possible expansion of 2-4 teams?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:54 am

In my opinion Ford Stadium is the best value of any stadium in the USA. And any talk of tearing it down is unthinkable. Improvements can and should be made. But don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:19 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Will they negotiate money now for possible expansion of 2-4 teams?

During the negotiations, the networks and streaming entities will indicate if they want the Pac 12 to expand or not, and different contract values will be negotiated based on the potential expansion candidates.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:51 pm

gostangs wrote:

when i read this I :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: because there is an element of truth to what DF is saying, although I doubt he meant it literally….

I do like your canopy and concourse proposals. I would also consider more suites on the North End.

And FWIW, Oregon St is also in the middle of a stadium remodel that will reduce seating from ~43k to ~36k while making it more fan-friendly
SoCal_Pony

Postby crazy horse » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:47 pm

I know there have been rumblings in the PAC 12 to stay at 10, or just add SDSU. But at one time there was a rule that you had to have 12 teams to have a championship game. There may be other restrictions as well. Is that still in place? Would that help SMUs chance of being #12?
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:03 pm

TidePony wrote:Image
Very nice!

Ugh. It looks like a hospital from the 70s from the outside.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:54 pm

crazy horse wrote:I know there have been rumblings in the PAC 12 to stay at 10, or just add SDSU. But at one time there was a rule that you had to have 12 teams to have a championship game. There may be other restrictions as well. Is that still in place? Would that help SMUs chance of being #12?

No longer required.

On the other thread there was a long post about playoff expansion affecting PAC-12 expansion. Those two are entirely unrelated.
If PAC wants to keep a presence in So-Cal (they do) they need SDSU - thus they'll be added.
If they want to maintain a 9 game conference schedule AND add SDSU they need 12 teams (can't do it with 11). They could play 8 games with 12 teams if they really want to (but many of the schools don't since it'd require another buy game.) and still have more inventory for TV as the conference gets home game non-con. think- ACC matchups

I find it very, very hard to believe the pac is really just focusing on a TV deal before ANY consideration of expansion - makes no sense whatsoever. Probably just a CYA statement.
fan
Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:09 am

fan wrote:
crazy horse wrote:I know there have been rumblings in the PAC 12 to stay at 10, or just add SDSU. But at one time there was a rule that you had to have 12 teams to have a championship game. There may be other restrictions as well. Is that still in place? Would that help SMUs chance of being #12?

No longer required.

On the other thread there was a long post about playoff expansion affecting PAC-12 expansion. Those two are entirely unrelated.
If PAC wants to keep a presence in So-Cal (they do) they need SDSU - thus they'll be added.
If they want to maintain a 9 game conference schedule AND add SDSU they need 12 teams (can't do it with 11). They could play 8 games with 12 teams if they really want to (but many of the schools don't since it'd require another buy game.) and still have more inventory for TV as the conference gets home game non-con. think- ACC matchups

I find it very, very hard to believe the pac is really just focusing on a TV deal before ANY consideration of expansion - makes no sense whatsoever. Probably just a CYA statement.

Thanks for the reply. I would think 12 would be the ideal number for a variety of reasons, and that certainly helps SMUs chances. I just wish we could get a decision and stop this speculation.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football