PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby mtrout » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:29 pm

digman52 wrote:I heard Dr. Turner speak to the Salesmanship Club of Dallas (Byron Nelson Tournament) yesterday, and he had David Miller and Brad Cheeves there as well. He immediately jumped into the work they are doing to move into another conference. Says Miller is in charge of the task force, and that he and David had 2 calls each that day to Presidents and others related to those possibilities. Says it is their main focus right now. Will believe it when it happens.

Had lots to say about NIL's etc, and how States are making their own rules separately about paying the players. Worries that the young players not saving some of this money for their future, since 90% won't play beyond graduation. Also concerned about them having tax issues if they don't file it on their taxes. Hopes there may be some rules coming out of Congress at some point to make everyone work with it the same.

He is an impressive speaker, talking for 30 minutes with no notes, and gave a good overview of where SMU is right now on all fronts.

Good info. Never forget that winning always helps despite SMU attempts to downplay it in favor of other factors.

Also, it's hard to convince kids to save money when inflation is 5-8%, their Bank of America student savings account returns 0.05%, and the Dow returns -11%. Their outlook is that they might as well buy the newest Yeezy Boosts whenever possible.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:19 pm

I'm sure after so many years he is a good speaker. However, I have always believed that actions speak louder than words. we will see what invite we get if any.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:47 am

“It looks like San Diego State is going to go to the Pac-12,” Dan Patrick said on his radio show on Monday. “That is expected – at least according to my source – to be announced this week. But, San Diego State to the Pac-12.”
Last edited by Water Pony on Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:57 am

Immediate response by The Athletic CFB which Tweeted

@NicoleAuerbach
Re: the report about the Pac-12 announcing the addition of SDSU as soon as this week, a source close to the situation tells @TheAthletic that the report is inaccurate.

It's been my understanding that the Pac-12 will do its media deal first before any conference expansion.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby 3rdGenPony » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:48 pm

I would be surprised if anything happens before the final ruling on UCLA going to the Big 10. Until that is 100% settled, nothing else will happen.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:51 pm

3rdGenPony wrote:I would be surprised if anything happens before the final ruling on UCLA going to the Big 10. Until that is 100% settled, nothing else will happen.

I think those meetings are over 3 days next week with UCLA on the agenda on the final day.

No way they make any decisions before that’s resolved.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:32 pm

Water Pony wrote:Immediate response by The Athletic CFB which Tweeted

@NicoleAuerbach
Re: the report about the Pac-12 announcing the addition of SDSU as soon as this week, a source close to the situation tells @TheAthletic that the report is inaccurate.

It's been my understanding that the Pac-12 will do its media deal first before any conference expansion.

Makes sense
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Paladin » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Water Pony wrote:Immediate response by The Athletic CFB which Tweeted

@NicoleAuerbach

So, are ya saying there's a chance ??
Paladin
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:31 pm

San Diego State sounds like a done deal but won't be announced until the Media Deal is finaled sometime later this month. Whether they add one or more partners at the same time is not clear.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:49 pm

I'm for San Diego State to the Pac12 but sure would be nice to also be an option for their expansion plans given how we've often been mentioned. I do think (bias aside) that we offer quite a bit to the Pac12, and I think we're also better at football than San Diego State, among other things.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:54 pm

I just don't see how there can be a media contract until they know how many and who they are. So if i am the PAC i have a scenario that is UCLA staying, and one where they don't - and i have my media consultants pricing both of those. When the final/final is in on UCLA (which i cant imagine could be derailed when they are likely 50 M above the PAC $ - per year!) - then you can plug it and go with what you know you can be going forward.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm

from Jon Wilner of the Mercury News

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/08/pac-12-survival-update-on-media-rights-negotiations-expansion-options-and-the-fluid-external-dynamics/

While San Diego State makes sense on multiple levels and is the Pac-12 expansion target mentioned most often, the Hotline believes there is equally strong interest in adding SMU.

The Mustangs meet the Pac-12’s academic profile, have gobs of money, provide access to an untapped media market and could enhance recruiting efforts in talent-rich Texas.

If we were handicapping the expansion landscape, SMU would be a co-favorite with SDSU.

Wilner is respected in PAC-12 circles
SoCal_Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:41 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:from Jon Wilner of the Mercury News

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/08/pac-12-survival-update-on-media-rights-negotiations-expansion-options-and-the-fluid-external-dynamics/

While San Diego State makes sense on multiple levels and is the Pac-12 expansion target mentioned most often, the Hotline believes there is equally strong interest in adding SMU.

The Mustangs meet the Pac-12’s academic profile, have gobs of money, provide access to an untapped media market and could enhance recruiting efforts in talent-rich Texas.

If we were handicapping the expansion landscape, SMU would be a co-favorite with SDSU.

C'mon PAC. I know everyone would rather play schools where lots of SMU fans know the alums, it just makes it more fun. That said, maybe it's just me, but I know lots more graduates of Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, CU, and U Dub than I do pretty much any future AAC school save Rice or Tulane.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby fan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:04 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:from Jon Wilner of the Mercury News

For some reason Wilner has been getting bashed on Twitter during this whole realignment ordeal but he is really well connected. I'd say this is really, really good news for us. If the "Hotline believes" something that is generally reliable information.
fan
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Interesting that in some ways we’re a reasonable facsimile of USC.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football