PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:08 pm

gostangs wrote:
You are totally out of it apparently. We have several BOT up to their eyeballs on this - flying all over the country plus an extremely well connected consultant working this issue. May or may not be successful but it isn’t because we aren’t working it hard.

Yep- living a long distance from Dallas I have no easy input as to what is actually happening.
Glad that some BOT members are active on this issue as I don't have a lot of confidence in our admin. to be overly active on these issues, especially based on past experience. Thanks for the input.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:53 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:
SMUvet wrote:You can see the conviction to build based on available seats (students). If you have a large enrollment and a small stadium you don't have the conviction or ability to go bigger. It is unsurprising to see the grouping at the bottom of this table and that they are getting picked last for the team.

I don't know where you got this list, but I can tell you some info is outdated. Last year UNLV upgraded from rickety, remote Sam Boyd Stadium (capacity 40K) to spectacular, indoor, right off the Strip Allegiant Stadium (capacity 65K). By your logic, that's a pretty major commitment to football, and yes, UNLV has been in some conversations, though not as much as SMU.

I don't think that anyone should joke about UNLV's facilities, they are legit now. The only thing that hurts them is their school ranking. If you think people visiting Vegas aren't going to use a UNLV game as an excuse to go to that shiny new stadium that is visible to everyone right off the strip...
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:54 am

gostangs wrote:
redpony wrote:DFFH- yes, nice article. I was actually referring to selling the decision makers of other conferences on SMU. Obviously the mayor should be on our side as a move to a major conference would help the city as well.

You are totally out of it apparently. We have several BOT up to their eyeballs on this - flying all over the country plus an extremely well connected consultant working this issue. May or may not be successful but it isn’t because we aren’t working it hard.

Yes, the response level this time is way better organized than every before. If we don't get in this time, we are never getting in.
JasonB

Postby Topper » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:47 pm

JasonB wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:
SMUvet wrote:You can see the conviction to build based on available seats (students). If you have a large enrollment and a small stadium you don't have the conviction or ability to go bigger. It is unsurprising to see the grouping at the bottom of this table and that they are getting picked last for the team.

I don't know where you got this list, but I can tell you some info is outdated. Last year UNLV upgraded from rickety, remote Sam Boyd Stadium (capacity 40K) to spectacular, indoor, right off the Strip Allegiant Stadium (capacity 65K). By your logic, that's a pretty major commitment to football, and yes, UNLV has been in some conversations, though not as much as SMU.

I don't think that anyone should joke about UNLV's facilities, they are legit now. The only thing that hurts them is their school ranking. If you think people visiting Vegas aren't going to use a UNLV game as an excuse to go to that shiny new stadium that is visible to everyone right off the strip...

I'm not a "Vegas" guy but I could imagine UNLV being a major draw for visiting fans. I think almost 30% of the attendees at Raider games came in from out of town, many fans of the visitors. There could be some great travel packages for travelling college fans in Las Vegas.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:50 pm

Good example of a public/private venture. How great would it have been if our city leaders (back in the day) had the vision to do the same sort of thing with the Cotton Bowl as opposed to letting Jerry World go to Arlington?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:12 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:Good example of a public/private venture. How great would it have been if our city leaders (back in the day) had the vision to do the same sort of thing with the Cotton Bowl as opposed to letting Jerry World go to Arlington?

Yep. Put a revamped Cotton Bowl together with a Rangers stadium near the farmers market and you'd really have something. Oh well.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:39 pm

Sigh.
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:49 pm

Dukie wrote:
PerunaPunch wrote:Good example of a public/private venture. How great would it have been if our city leaders (back in the day) had the vision to do the same sort of thing with the Cotton Bowl as opposed to letting Jerry World go to Arlington?

Yep. Put a revamped Cotton Bowl together with a Rangers stadium near the farmers market and you'd really have something. Oh well.

Calling Darrell Jordan!
Bergermeister

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:48 pm

Pete Thamel: "Sources: Big 12, Pac-12 won't partner as talks among the two conferences officially end. The two sides had at least three lengthy Zoom calls to explore options within the last two weeks. No strong revenue driver emerged."

This is potentially good for SMU.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:58 am

I agree. A combination of PAC12 and BigXII would work against us, as the BigXII would not see the benefit of adding us. We are a threat to them in Dallas, if we were elevated.

That leaves the PAC12 expanding, ACC expanding, and/or a working relationship between the two where the PAC 12 rounds out their membership with us and San Diego State.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUvet » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:08 am

Twitter rumors that Colorado and Arizonas reached out to BigXX about membership. Inquiry, not a formal request. Also seems to be building momentum in media that BigXX will grab up to 6 Pac schools. Seems like this works against us. If you add Colorado and Arizonas seems like a no-brainer to add Utah (good viewership, good on-field product, and rivalry with BYU). Seems likely this leaves SMU out in the cold....again.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:36 pm

PAC12 can't replace their losses and neither can the BigXX. PAC12 has no TV contract and down two marquee teams while the BigXX are under contract without their headliners. Somethin' gotta give!

Put ESPN, NBC or Fox in the room with those two and they'll figure it out.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:04 pm

SMUvet wrote:Twitter rumors that Colorado and Arizonas reached out to BigXX about membership. Inquiry, not a formal request. Also seems to be building momentum in media that BigXX will grab up to 6 Pac schools. Seems like this works against us. If you add Colorado and Arizonas seems like a no-brainer to add Utah (good viewership, good on-field product, and rivalry with BYU). Seems likely this leaves SMU out in the cold....again.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but who exactly on the Twitter machine is saying this? There's a big difference between, say, Pete Thamel, and then, well, your average Twit.

Also: things that are going to happen happen quietly. Anything leaking this publicly is really because someone is trying to push for things to happen, rather than evidence that those things are actually happening.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUvet » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:12 pm

SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:21 pm

Calm down. Dude. LOL. You are or probably should be aware that "I saw it on Twitter" as a cited source is perhaps not overly specific or authoritative.

Anyway, thanks--so a mix of some reputable folks and a lot of push-poll stuff. I'll stick with the view that if this were real, it wouldn't be all over Twitter.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football