PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby dickey1331 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:53 am

crazy horse wrote:I know there have been rumblings in the PAC 12 to stay at 10, or just add SDSU. But at one time there was a rule that you had to have 12 teams to have a championship game. There may be other restrictions as well. Is that still in place? Would that help SMUs chance of being #12?
No. The big 12 has 10 teams and they have a conference championship game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dickey1331
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:29 am

MustangStealth wrote:
TidePony wrote:Image
Very nice!

Ugh. It looks like a hospital from the 70s from the outside.

North screen will be good and south side has a nicer and bigger screen. Design is consistent with most of the buildings on campus.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:52 am

Any chance we can get a shade structure on the east side and a camera station so we can show actual fans sitting on the west side instead of nothing on the east side ?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:07 pm

Watching the way USC tackled last night we should fit in
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:18 pm

^^^LOL, my thoughts exactly^^^
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby DallasMustang11 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:29 pm

gostangs wrote:Any chance we can get a shade structure on the east side and a camera station so we can show actual fans sitting on the west side instead of nothing on the east side ?

Agreed. It is always a terrible look seeing nobody seated on the east side but maybe with the removal of the grass hill it will push more people to that side.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:33 pm

It’ll push some to the exit.
Bergermeister

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:52 pm

Have to find shade somewhere...plenty to be had on The Boulevard. Always more people there than ever enter the stadium
Charleston Pony

Postby laxdawg97 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Have to find shade somewhere...plenty to be had on The Boulevard. Always more people there than ever enter the stadium

I wish SMU would be the program to step up and experiment with converting a sizable chunk of the east side to flat, staggered terraces with overhead canopies. This would be more appealing to groups, and bring some of the Blvd experience into the stadium.

For today's generation of students, it seems attending games is less about the product on the field than the social experience, and they do not want to sit in a seat or otherwise be restricted from moving around. Clearly, many/most are choosing different experiences during the times football is being played on campus as it is, and that's a missed opportunity to establish new rituals/traditions.

My FIL and his SMU buddies are appalled by this argument, but from the games he's dragged me to it just seems like SMU admin has to go back to the drawing board and design an experience around today's students vs. hoping they'll eventually see football as us older folks do. I wiggled out of the invite to Senior Day, but despite my limited ties to SMU it genuinely hurt to see clips on TV of those kids having their moment in an empty stadium, rain or not.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby birddogger » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:04 pm

Tulane built its stadium with the home amenities on the east side of the stadium, leaving the home bench and fans in the sun. At least we didn't do that....
birddogger
All-American

Postby SMUstang » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:55 pm

laxdawg97 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Have to find shade somewhere...plenty to be had on The Boulevard. Always more people there than ever enter the stadium

I wish SMU would be the program to step up and experiment with converting a sizable chunk of the east side to flat, staggered terraces with overhead canopies. This would be more appealing to groups, and bring some of the Blvd experience into the stadium.

For today's generation of students, it seems attending games is less about the product on the field than the social experience, and they do not want to sit in a seat or otherwise be restricted from moving around. Clearly, many/most are choosing different experiences during the times football is being played on campus as it is, and that's a missed opportunity to establish new rituals/traditions.

My FIL and his SMU buddies are appalled by this argument, but from the games he's dragged me to it just seems like SMU admin has to go back to the drawing board and design an experience around today's students vs. hoping they'll eventually see football as us older folks do. I wiggled out of the invite to Senior Day, but despite my limited ties to SMU it genuinely hurt to see clips on TV of those kids having their moment in an empty stadium, rain or not.

I'm sure it would help attendance if they allowed/encouraged alcohol sales inside the stadium.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby crispy_taco » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:15 pm

I completely agree with what laxdawg said. Students see the games as social events. It’s like a Christmas party you can go to for an hour and a half and then dip out. You can go to the game and dip out at halftime since it’s just a social event and not a football game. I know this as I am a recent grad. SMU has to try to bring the BLVD into the stadium. If we can’t have an intimidating environment for opponents, why not have a cool and unique experience.

What Mississippi state is doing is genius, in my opinion. They announced that they will have “the balconies” as they are calling it. They’re shaded terraces with electrical outlets and whatnot. Also have to think about Ole miss baseball’s Swayze field where I spent many spring afternoons growing up. Once again, terraces in the left field where fans can bring their own chairs and grill whatever they like. It’s an amazing place to catch a game and the students clearly love the right field where they can move around as the wish.

I think it’s time we think outside the box to move people from the BLVD to ford

https://cdispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Lead-art.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_n5HXfgURggB2N_9DGoFuPqLeEY=/60x0:1689x1086/1400x1050/filters:focal(60x0:1689x1086):format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/34414941/053114_Regional_Baseball_2017.0.jpg
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:32 pm

Food for thought, Crispy.
Bergermeister

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:13 pm

Bring on the Swayze Field beer showers.
ponyboy

Postby SMUguy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:59 am

Sure wish the Pac12 would hurry up and add us
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football