PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:48 pm

Comet wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFJ9gbln57A

Brett McMurphy saying a deal could be announced in the next two weeks.

I would gather that a "deal" is already agreed in principle, largely because there are no other options. It comes down to the leftovers accepting it and SDSU and SMU forking a ton of cash (which both will do) to hop on board.

McMurphy just confirmed CBS/Turner have walked and as I posted in the other thread, the remaining options are poor, bad and really, really bad (i.e. Big 12/Big 10 pick of the litter).
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Comet » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:06 pm

FroggieFever wrote:

I would gather that a "deal" is already agreed in principle, largely because there are no other options. It comes down to the leftovers accepting it and SDSU and SMU forking a ton of cash (which both will do) to hop on board.

McMurphy just confirmed CBS/Turner have walked and as I posted in the other thread, the remaining options are poor, bad and really, really bad (i.e. Big 12/Big 10 pick of the litter).

Yeah, but they were never really in the picture to begin with though. So that's a bit of a nothing burger. We all knew that the PAC only really had interest from ESPN, Amazon, and Apple. It does sound like if the media deal is close to being signed that it won't be what the PAC wants. They got out manuevered by the B12 since at this point Fox and ESPN are fairly stuffed with content.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:16 pm

Comet wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:

Yeah, but they were never really in the picture to begin with though. So that's a bit of a nothing burger. We all knew that the PAC only really had interest from ESPN, Amazon, and Apple. It does sound like if the media deal is close to being signed that it won't be what the PAC wants. They got out manuevered by the B12 since at this point Fox and ESPN are fairly stuffed with content.

Fair points. Big 12 took the devil you know approach. PAC 12 went for the devil it didn't. Like I mentioned I think a deal is already done (if you have the chance or even care, follow Gary's Shirtless Revenge on Killer Frogs ... he is a senior exec with the Mouse and has nailed all this since the original Texas/Oklahoma departure ... months before the public did). It now begs the question: Is it at least palatable for UO/UW/AZ. UO/UW are not going to agree to a GOR. So what now?
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Comet » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:45 pm

FroggieFever wrote:Fair points. Big 12 took the devil you know approach. PAC 12 went for the devil it didn't. Like I mentioned I think a deal is already done (if you have the chance or even care, follow Gary's Shirtless Revenge on Killer Frogs ... he is a senior exec with the Mouse and has nailed all this since the original Texas/Oklahoma departure ... months before the public did). It now begs the question: Is it at least palatable for UO/UW/AZ. UO/UW are not going to agree to a GOR. So what now?

I have a feeling that they just sign to finally get a deal in place but 1) it's either not a lengthy one or, 2) no GoR on it if that's at all possible. I think the play is to just put yourself in the best situation for when the ACC eventually has their GoR end and the B1G/SEC will start gobbling up the best from the rest and that includes PAC.

Do you have an easy link to look at Gary's Shirtless Revenge's stuff?
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:51 pm

Comet wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:Fair points. Big 12 took the devil you know approach. PAC 12 went for the devil it didn't. Like I mentioned I think a deal is already done (if you have the chance or even care, follow Gary's Shirtless Revenge on Killer Frogs ... he is a senior exec with the Mouse and has nailed all this since the original Texas/Oklahoma departure ... months before the public did). It now begs the question: Is it at least palatable for UO/UW/AZ. UO/UW are not going to agree to a GOR. So what now?

I have a feeling that they just sign to finally get a deal in place but 1) it's either not a lengthy one or, 2) no GoR on it if that's at all possible. I think the play is to just put yourself in the best situation for when the ACC eventually has their GoR end and the B1G/SEC will start gobbling up the best from the rest and that includes PAC.

I agree.

Yeah, it is below. He pretty much exclusively posts on media/realignment so there are some great nuggets in there. He also will make clear if he is not certain about something. Elliot Hill (on BoD at TCU and newly retired President of Nike) adds a lot to his posts, too. (Of course, under a pseudonym.)

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?search/61128/
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Comet » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:12 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Comet wrote:

I agree.

Yeah, it is below. He pretty much exclusively posts on media/realignment so there are some great nuggets in there. He also will make clear if he is not certain about something. Elliot Hill (on BoD at TCU and newly retired President of Nike) adds a lot to his posts, too. (Of course, under a pseudonym.)

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?search/61128/

Nice, thanks for sharing that
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:49 am

The networks have a problem with west coast sports because it infringes on local affiliates news broadcasts in the east and midwest. ESPN has long loved the PAC 12 late games to give it late Saturday night broadcasting on the west coast and for the party bar crowd on the east coast. So, I suspect that they will be in the mix. The more prime time games (3-6 CT starting times) may be on Amazon/Apple. Adding SMU will give them opportunity for 11 a.m. CT games. So, I suspect if there is a deal, that's what it will look like. I agree that the GOR will probably be 4-5 years at most. I don't know when the Big Ten contracts expire, but I suspect it will coincide with that so that those that might bolt to the Big Ten will have that opportunity. I don't think it will last until ACC expires in 2036.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:27 pm

Comet wrote:[

Sure thing. He just posted something interesting in response to someone asking about when members might bolt and the trust with K:

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php ... st-3263169

Hemingway said:
I heard something to the effect that the Pac would have something for it’s members by April. Is that correct?

I think K’s trustworthiness has been tarnished and people might not wait around.
You think we’ll know about new members by April?

I think the drop-dead date everybody should have in mind is July 1. If a new deal isn't agreed upon by the start of this last FY for the PAC I think members will bail, and if they even start approaching that date (April, May, June) members will start looking for a landing in earnest.

He's got several months left before people start really, seriously looking around. As far as when GK has committed to having something, he's on his third deadline I believe, so you're right that trust isn't high right now.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Rla1022 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:54 pm

FroggieFever wrote:

Sure thing. He just posted something interesting in response to someone asking about when members might bolt and the trust with K:

Hemingway said:
I heard something to the effect that the Pac would have something for it’s members by April. Is that correct?

I think K’s trustworthiness has been tarnished and people might not wait around.

I think the drop-dead date everybody should have in mind is July 1. If a new deal isn't agreed upon by the start of this last FY for the PAC I think members will bail, and if they even start approaching that date (April, May, June) members will start looking for a landing in earnest.

He's got several months left before people start really, seriously looking around. As far as when GK has committed to having something, he's on his third deadline I believe, so you're right that trust isn't high right now.

Why persist in posting and taking the opposing view? Whether it materializes or not, it's irrelevant. I'm fatigued by the comments from TCU and UH supporters belittling this matter. We understand, you've secured a traitor of a coach and had an outstanding season. It's time to move on. The Big 12 and its member schools have made it evident that they don't desire SMU. That's fine. Enjoy being the top team in a conference filled with second-rate state schools. I can't wait to see you jump in here and complain about facing Tech and UCF. Personally, I'd rather have the chance to be defeated by Dion and Colorado.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Rla1022 wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:

Hemingway said:

Why persist in posting and taking the opposing view? Whether it materializes or not, it's irrelevant. I'm fatigued by the comments from TCU and UH supporters belittling this matter. We understand, you've secured a traitor of a coach and had an outstanding season. It's time to move on. The Big 12 and its member schools have made it evident that they don't desire SMU. That's fine. Enjoy being the top team in a conference filled with second-rate state schools. I can't wait to see you jump in here and complain about facing Tech and UCF. Personally, I'd rather have the chance to be defeated by Dion and Colorado.

If you read above this is coming directly from someone in, or was in, the negotiations as a exec at the Mouse. I thought it is interesting and relevant because it is accurate and not wild speculation/rumors/heard from a friend propaganda.

I cannot say enough I pledge allegiance to both SMU and TCU having attended both. I am not some creature from Houston doing a pathetic na-na-na-boo-boo nor am I a Coach P in "we're not helping them anymore". I bleed red, blue and purple and want the best for both - the two can coexist, and should.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Comet » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:25 pm

Rla1022 wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:

Hemingway said:

It is completely healthy to get a full perspective of the situation. Nothing he has posted is overtly negative in a spiteful way. The more sources the better the picture we can make out. I tend to agree, if a deal isn’t penned in the next month or so…. it’s going to get ugly for the PAC.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 pm

Somebody on the bird app posted that the tv rights deal is completed and that SMU and SDSU will be officially announced on Feb 28. Sadly they only have 10 followers so it might not be terribly accurate.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby orguy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:16 pm

If one attempts to filter out the noise, nothing has changed. It's unlikely the
rabid fanbases of the 4 corner schools dictate much of anything regarding
realignment. Baylor and TCU certainly do not have SMU's interests at heart.
TCU in particular had been perpetually trying to get a PAC invite till 2019.
orguy
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:24 am

ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:38 am

ponyboy wrote:https://mwwire.com/2023/02/18/pac-12-university-presidents-approve-next-steps-in-sdsu-and-smu-expansion-process/

Can you please post the article as my computer says that is a malicious site?
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football