PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:40 pm

Water Pony wrote:A merger of BigXII and PAC=12 is improbable and would reduce guaranteed playoff spots by one.

More importantly, such a plan would likely eliminate any chance of SMU joining the PAC-12, since gaining access to Texas and the Central Time Zone would happen without us. We better hope this wild idea never happens.

I think SMUstang thinks too much :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:02 pm

Adding more mouths to feed is not going to do anything for the corruption that Canzano talked about in his article. New management might.
EastStang wrote:ACC guarantee of rights runs through 2036. By then who knows what the landscape will be.
John Canzano wrote an article about how bad the PAC12 was managed as well as PAC12 Network.
[/url] https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-p ... sty-larry/[url]
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:05 pm

PAC-12 doesn't want anything to do with the illiterate Bible beating hillbillies of the Big XII. If we can ever get our act together in football and basketball and strengthen research we are the type of institution they would align with as we are in a large metropolitan city in the central time zone.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:52 pm

We are either already there or well on our way down the path towards the things that are necessary for PAC inclusion, some of which you mention. Academics (including R1), endowment, media market, facilities, willingness to spend our way in, etc.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:05 pm

We are currently mediocre in football, abysmal in men's basketball, and not AAU members. We need to fix those issues as well as get a fan base.
mustangxc

Postby crispy_taco » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm

[quote="mustangxc"]PAC-12 doesn't want anything to do with the illiterate Bible beating hillbillies of the Big 12

What’s wrong with God fearing people? Personally, I’d rather be involved with “hillbillies” than some snarky twig at Stanford or cal. PAC would be great no matter what though.
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:53 pm

mustangxc wrote:We are currently mediocre in football, abysmal in men's basketball, and not AAU members. We need to fix those issues as well as get a fan base.

We are either already there or well on our way to the things that matter to the PAC powers that be.
ponyboy

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm

Well said - Taco.

Living here in LA for 30+ years, I can testify to what you said. I can be much more descriptive than you but I won't. LOL!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:01 pm

crispy_taco wrote:
mustangxc wrote:PAC-12 doesn't want anything to do with the illiterate Bible beating hillbillies of the Big 12.

What’s wrong with God fearing people? Personally, I’d rather be involved with “hillbillies” than some snarky twig at Stanford or cal. PAC would be great no matter what though.

Ask them, I'm Catholic. I was simply stating their view on the Big XII schools which does not bode well for a merger of the two conferences.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm

mustangxc wrote:
crispy_taco wrote:
mustangxc wrote:PAC-12 doesn't want anything to do with the illiterate Bible beating hillbillies of the Big 12.

Ask them, I'm Catholic. I was simply stating their view on the Big XII schools which does not bode well for a merger of the two conferences.

I've read in the past that the PAC did not want anything to do with BYU because of their aversion to playing any games on Sundays which the PAC viewed as limiting their March Madness opportunities. Never understood that because BYU has made multiple NCAA appearances
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:17 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I've read in the past that the PAC did not want anything to do with BYU because of their aversion to playing any games on Sundays which the PAC viewed as limiting their March Madness opportunities. Never understood that because BYU has made multiple NCAA appearances

It limits scheduling opportunities in all sports. Virtually every sport (save football) plays games on Sundays.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:33 pm

One Trick Pony

Postby BUS » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:26 pm

Nice artwork, Send me a jpeg and Ill make you a 3x shirt
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:54 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I've read in the past that the PAC did not want anything to do with BYU because of their aversion to playing any games on Sundays which the PAC viewed as limiting their March Madness opportunities. Never understood that because BYU has made multiple NCAA appearances

It limits scheduling opportunities in all sports. Virtually every sport (save football) plays games on Sundays.

They also had an aversion to BYU because it is a terrible academic school. And because of a variety of stances the school has taken in regards to gender/race/every other equality issue ever. They are literally the opposite of the PAC 12 schools, and more conservative than Baylor, when it comes to any social issue outside of dancing.
JasonB

Postby crispy_taco » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:07 pm

BYU isn’t terrible academically. #89 in US news rankings and I’m fairly certain they have a solid law school. Definitely conservative but also got a really bad rap recently with that duke volleyball hoax. I think you might be unconsciously thinking of Boise state in regards to terrible academics, which is valid. BYU has to be better than wazzu and Oregon state academically
crispy_taco
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football