PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby Dukie » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:27 pm

ponyboy wrote:Interesting that in some ways we’re a reasonable facsimile of USC.

Interesting indeed and frankly not unexpected. Similar roots, similar (older) histories. They are an SMU that was able to stay at their Cotton Bowl and not be overtaken by the NFL in their backyard.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby hiphopfroggy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:55 pm

Dukie wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Interesting that in some ways we’re a reasonable facsimile of USC.

Interesting indeed and frankly not unexpected. Similar roots, similar (older) histories. They are an SMU that was able to stay at their Cotton Bowl and not be overtaken by the NFL in their backyard.

UCLA plays at the Rose Bowl and that comparison makes a lot of sense, and y'all are both both great basketball schools. I agree SMU is the UCLA of Texas and TCU is the USC.
hiphopfroggy

Postby Dukie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:21 am

hiphopfroggy wrote:
Dukie wrote:

UCLA plays at the Rose Bowl and that comparison makes a lot of sense, and y'all are both both great basketball schools. I agree SMU is the UCLA of Texas and TCU is the USC.

Sure, I just meant that USC’s “Cotton Bowl” is the Coliseum, where they still play.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 am

One of our President's Zumburge came to us from USC. He commented how we were both elite private Universities with Methodist roots.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby well travelled pony » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:58 am

hiphopfroggy wrote:
Dukie wrote:

Biggest advantage USC has is that they have constantly expanded the university. SC student population dwarfs SMU. Mo' people, mo' money.
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby SMULaxer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:06 am

hiphopfroggy wrote:
Dukie wrote:

TCU feels a bit more like Cal State Bakersfield to me.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:38 am

well travelled pony wrote:Biggest advantage USC has is that they have constantly expanded the university. SC student population dwarfs SMU. Mo' people, mo' money.

Yeah, SC has three times our undergrad population. What’s interesting is our campus is slightly larger - and continuing to expand. Is there a plan to increase the size of our student population? We’re certainly throwing up buildings left and right.

Kinda off topic, but I’d love to see us work with Dallas to turn the SMU (former Yale) Boulevard bridge all the way down to the Mockingbird bridge into a new Klyde Warren kinda deal. That would bring together the west and east campuses. Maybe build a baseball stadium next to the natatorium, while we’re at it.
ponyboy

Postby laxdawg97 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:24 pm

ponyboy wrote:
well travelled pony wrote:Biggest advantage USC has is that they have constantly expanded the university. SC student population dwarfs SMU. Mo' people, mo' money.

Yeah, SC has three times our undergrad population. What’s interesting is our campus is slightly larger - and continuing to expand. Is there a plan to increase the size of our student population? We’re certainly throwing up buildings left and right.

Kinda off topic, but I’d love to see us work with Dallas to turn the SMU (former Yale) Boulevard bridge all the way down to the Mockingbird bridge into a new Klyde Warren kinda deal. That would bring together the west and east campuses. Maybe build a baseball stadium next to the natatorium, while we’re at it.

A KW-esque deck park is one of the more original and interesting growth ideas that I've heard in a while.

Growth east of 75 is looking like a slog - particularly since SMU somehow let the Shamburger site become another massive apartment complex - but that'd at least create green space, if not more building sites (and possibly chip away at opposition to moving more parking east).
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby carolina stang » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:40 pm

EastStang wrote:One of our President's Zumburge came to us from USC. He commented how we were both elite private Universities with Methodist roots.

East Stang: I think it was the other way around: Zumberge left SMU for USC. I remember a quote that made it back to Dallas in which he said “SMU didn’t have the scope of USC” No one associated with SMU was amused.
"Your announcer is Bill Melton."
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:23 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:from Jon Wilner of the Mercury News

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/08/pac-12-survival-update-on-media-rights-negotiations-expansion-options-and-the-fluid-external-dynamics/

While San Diego State makes sense on multiple levels and is the Pac-12 expansion target mentioned most often, the Hotline believes there is equally strong interest in adding SMU.

The Mustangs meet the Pac-12’s academic profile, have gobs of money, provide access to an untapped media market and could enhance recruiting efforts in talent-rich Texas.

If we were handicapping the expansion landscape, SMU would be a co-favorite with SDSU.

Wilner is respected in PAC-12 circles

Thank you SoCal_Pony! I hope our QBs and offense will continue to light it up, couldn't hurt
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:34 am

ponyboy wrote:

Maybe build a baseball stadium next to the natatorium, while we’re at it.

SMU should work with City of Dallas to use the ballpark that already exists in Rivershcon (sp?) Park. Easy bike ride down the Katy Trail along Turtle Creek from SMU. A college ball club would breathe life into a terrific city-owned asset that's ready to go.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:40 am

And we have a history at Reverchon. Good point.
ponyboy

Postby Rla1022 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:46 am

Wait. Did I miss an announcement. Are we bringing baseball ?
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:00 pm

No - just having some fun. It would be neat however if the PAC-12 required it for membership.
ponyboy

Postby SMUstang » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:23 pm

I remember when SMU had baseball. We were not very competitive in the SWC. Switching to soccer where we had Texas to ourselves was a good move. Neither sport attracted many fans.
SMUstang
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football