PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMUstang » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:06 pm

It's not looking good for the Pac-12 media rights right now. There is a $25M/school offer on the table and the Pac-12 does not appear to have any leverage to improve that number. In addition Washington, Oregon and the Arizona schools have all said that they would not sign a 7 year GOR for those numbers. The Pac could therefore dissolve unless a miracle happens.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:25 pm

They need some deal because it expires next year. No one is going to give a separate contract to Oregon, Wazzu, ASU or AU. Nor will they give separate ones to any other PAC team. So, they have to do something together or go somewhere. Will they merge with another conference as a group, get cherry picked by the Big XII? Or simply stay together and accept their medicine? I don't know. But as is the case, the TV suits control college football. Let's go undefeated beating OU and TCU next year and maybe the Big1G will come calling for a Texas school or the PAC or the ACC.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:25 pm

Agree they have to do a deal. But the fear is that if that deal is less than what the Big 12 negotiated then those who can will jump ship at the first opportunity. You can't blame Washington, Oregon, or the Arizona schools for not signing a 7 year GOR for less money than they can get elsewhere.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:07 pm

The $25M figure is an unconfirmed rumor. Who knows who started it and for what purposes?

Schools won't jump to the Big 12 for $1M-$2M more per year. If necessary, they could make up that individually.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:51 pm

crispy_taco wrote:
mustangxc wrote:PAC-12 doesn't want anything to do with the illiterate Bible beating hillbillies of the Big 12

What’s wrong with God fearing people? Personally, I’d rather be involved with “hillbillies” than some snarky twig at Stanford or cal. PAC would be great no matter what though.

If it were between the Big 12 and the PAC then i would never give those godless heathen a second thought but sadly the PAC is only potential opening. I'm still praying for the ACC to send in a last minute invite as that would be the most optimal.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby orguy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
crispy_taco wrote:
mustangxc wrote:PAC-12 doesn't want anything to do with the illiterate Bible beating hillbillies of the Big 12

What’s wrong with God fearing people? Personally, I’d rather be involved with “hillbillies” than some snarky twig at Stanford or cal. PAC would be great no matter what though.

If it were between the Big 12 and the PAC then i would never give those godless heathen a second thought but sadly the PAC is only potential opening. I'm still praying for the ACC to send in a last minute invite as that would be the most optimal.

Your obnoxious post speaks volumes. Glad I'm a godless heathen and hillbillies like
you remain tucked away in obscurity.

Btw: my early post was simply about religious tolerance. Completely misinterpreted.
To paraphrase Patti Smith "Jesus may have died for your sins but he did not die
for mine". Hallelujah!
orguy
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:37 am

He actually did die for yours. Up to you to be honest with yourself and, after doing so, accept the gift. Best offer you’ll ever have - by far. By far.
ponyboy

Postby DallasMustang11 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:24 pm

Can we keep all the religious discussions on the R/atheism section of Reddit. This page was supposed to be about PAC 12 expansion. We all on the same team here guys.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:08 pm

I didn't mean to involve any personal religious opinions. As I said, I am Catholic. However, religion is a big issue in conference makeup. The Big East and WCC are primarily Catholic leagues, whereas the PAC-12 and others want to stay far away from religion. Regardless of your personal views, that affects which conferences would be interested in certain schools.
mustangxc

Postby Red Dragon Coog » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:10 pm

I don't know if the Pac 12 will ever take a religious school. So I doubt SMU will get an invite.
Red Dragon Coog
Recruit

Postby ponyboy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 pm

That’s been my biggest concern.
ponyboy

Postby laxdawg97 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:20 pm

ponyboy wrote:That’s been my biggest concern.

As I understand the dynamics among Pac12 presidents, an institution's religious beliefs are less important than how those beliefs translate into their legislative agenda (particularly in states outside their own). In that respect, as far as I know, SMU has very little cause for concern.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:43 pm

Red Dragon Coog wrote:I don't know if the Pac 12 will ever take a religious school. So I doubt SMU will get an invite.

So just because SMU has a theology school it is a "religious school"? Unless things have changed, the SMU student body has always included people of multiple faiths and I'm sure several agnostics and atheists as well. I don't know if any PAC 12 members have theology schools, but pretty sure religious studies are available to students and degrees that offer a path to clergy at more than one school.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:46 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:If it were between the Big 12 and the PAC then i would never give those godless heathen a second thought but sadly the PAC is only potential opening.

Gereralize much? :roll:
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:55 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I don't know if any PAC 12 members have theology schools, but pretty sure religious studies are available to students and degrees that offer a path to clergy at more than one school.

Stanford has a Religious Studies Dept. (https://religiousstudies.stanford.edu/), but how far is it between having a dept. and a school of theology? The ability to offer a doctorate in the subject?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football