PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:43 pm

Only Colorado doesn’t have a baseball team. Even SDSU has one. Would love it if they required us to field a team.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby orguy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:03 pm

Rla1022 wrote:
Water Pony wrote:Here is a fun PAC-12 Podcast which feels SDSU and SMU are in and makes the case for Fresno State as a #3.

However, he goes on to make another, strong case, e.g. increasing PAC-12 geographic reach in the the Central Time Zone with two superb academic universities as 13th and 14th members: Tulane and Rice

I enjoyed his argument to the Conference of Champions (PAC-12 Presidents) jury. 8)

https://www.12news.com/article/sports/l ... abb83b406e

Weird. First article I have ever seen mention UT-Arlington? I’d love to travel with Rice and Tulane.

Pure speculation. Doubtful the PAC overall has any interest in Rice though Stanford/Cal students
probably would be thrilled. Tulane is too far away etc. Podcasters love to talk. Not insiders.
orguy
All-American

Postby Topper » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:30 pm

Rla1022 wrote:
Water Pony wrote:Here is a fun PAC-12 Podcast which feels SDSU and SMU are in and makes the case for Fresno State as a #3.

However, he goes on to make another, strong case, e.g. increasing PAC-12 geographic reach in the the Central Time Zone with two superb academic universities as 13th and 14th members: Tulane and Rice

I enjoyed his argument to the Conference of Champions (PAC-12 Presidents) jury. 8)

https://www.12news.com/article/sports/l ... abb83b406e

Weird. First article I have ever seen mention UT-Arlington? I’d love to travel with Rice and Tulane.

As UT-Arlington doesn't have a football team this is yet another reason to pay little attention to local broadcast news, in this case Phoenix.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:13 pm

I saw one article that mentioned UTSA.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:14 pm

Plenty of PAC-12 schools not participating in men's swimming & diving, soccer, etc...Title IX affects everyone even with P5 money

I could get really negative about the prospects of this potential invite/move after the Big East experience but I'm trying not to go there
Charleston Pony

Postby numero_uno » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:27 pm

My latest concern is over the Big 12 vocalizing that they want to expand to 16 members after Texas and OU leave next year. They have shown interest in the 4 corners schools.

I feel like it's about to implode on us.
numero_uno
Junior Varsity

Postby Topper » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:04 pm

numero_uno wrote:My latest concern is over the Big 12 vocalizing that they want to expand to 16 members after Texas and OU leave next year. They have shown interest in the 4 corners schools.

There is noise that the Big 12 is courting the 4 corners and even Oregon and Washington. Depends on the money. The last informed opinion I saw says PAC deal will be more per school than the Big 12 deal. Why do I think the networks are calling the shots?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:19 am

The administrators who run the current Pac-12 schools would rather attend CPAC than align themselves with the Big 12.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby BUS » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is SO true.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:23 pm

numero_uno wrote:My latest concern is over the Big 12 vocalizing that they want to expand to 16 members after Texas and OU leave next year. They have shown interest in the 4 corners schools.

No matter what happens, we will be in a better situation than the new AAC and most likely in a better conference than the current AAC that includes Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. SMU and San Diego State are next in line for the PAC-12. Whether that is the current remaining 10 or some faction of it, those are still P5 schools and at worst we will be in a conference with 4 of those schools. I can see the BIG taking Oregon and Washington and the Big XII taking the 4 corner schools. That leaves Stanford, Cal, OSU, and WSU along with SMU and SDSU. Then choose 6-10 more from FSU, UNLV, Colorado State, Air Force, Boise State, Nevada, New Mexico, Rice, Tulane, Memphis, USF, Temple, Tulsa, Navy/Gonzaga. That is no worse than what the AAC has been at its peak and probably even better.
mustangxc

Postby CBpony » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:53 pm

It’s hard to get excited over this. The moment we join the PAC-12 it’ll dismantle much like the Big East did.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:56 pm

CBpony wrote:It’s hard to get excited over this. The moment we join the PAC-12 it’ll dismantle much like the Big East did.

Look, (most of) the rest of us try to keep our psychoses to ourselves. Please give it a go, Eeyore.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:20 pm

Dukie wrote:
CBpony wrote:It’s hard to get excited over this. The moment we join the PAC-12 it’ll dismantle much like the Big East did.

Look, (most of) the rest of us try to keep our psychoses to ourselves. Please give it a go, Eeyore.

Can you give a good reason why it would dismantle, assuming the money is the same as the Big 12 - which is what everyone is thinking? I didn't think so,
gostangs

Postby crazy horse » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:49 pm

I don't get the negative takes either. The PAC 12 lost their two best brands. But there are still 10 teams with almost 100 years of competitive history. The Big 10 or SEC would have to come calling before you would leave that behind. And that is highly doubtful.

Then, message board psychics seem to think certain PAC schools are pining for the Big 12. They have been hemorrhaging their best brands for years - Nebraska, A&M, and now their two best OU and UT. They are at 8 schools. They are having a good year, but so what. Are these the schools you want to associate with over the PAC? Do you want to abandon California recruiting? And they have now added 4 G5 schools, with the possibility of adding more. Does that sound more stable, or more impressive than what the PAC is proposing? What's not to stop OSU or Kansas from having wandering eyes - seeking greener grass?

The only way PAC teams to the Big 12 "might" make sense, is that the Big 12 money is substantially more than what they will earn in the PAC. At least enough to offset the increased travel expenses, and yield more for the school. And I just can't see that happening.

I will say this. The PAC 12 is in a down cycle with football. We have a great opportunity to come in and make some noise immediately. Just keep recruiting at the level we are, hopefully with the promise of playing in a P5 league on the horizon, and keeping the staff happy, and we should be in a great position in our new conference.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby PonyME » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:56 pm

‘90 grad here. I check out the the site at least once a day. The above post is why many of us are optimistic and excited about the PAC possibilities. A strong and healthy Big 12 and a strong and healthy PAC is good for college football…one conference apparently sees ‘value’ in us and another does not…for different valid reason but also for selfish reasons for some of our former SWC competitors. I get it. But sailing off into the Western sunset…if it happens…while giving the Big 12 the middle finger would be very satisfying on so many levels. DFW’s PAC 12 team.
Last edited by PonyME on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PonyME
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football