PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:42 am

Rla1022 wrote:Very narrow thinking. Last number I found says Apple has 1.8 billion devices iPhones and iPads alone . Estimated at about 30 million is Apple TV subscribers. Each and every single device has Apple TV installed. Apple TV doesn’t require a subscription for some content. Additionally a small percentage are actually paying for Apple TV. You don’t even need to subscribe to Apple TV to get MLB. I don’t know the ins and outs of the MLS deal but I’m sure there’s a small fee ? I doubt Apple would create a COLLEGE FOOTBALL app cause I’m sure someone will sue but that would be cool

MLS is $15/month or $99/season if you don't have AppleTV+. It is $13/month or $79 a season if you do. I would expect a college package to be similar. So, it's not even included in the regular subscriber package. That would be a terrible deal for building visibility.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 am

If I were the PAC-12, I would be looking not just to replace USC and UCLA. I would be looking a few moves ahead and pitching the benefits of remaining in conference to existing strong PAC-12 members.

A few moves ahead:
- I would proceed quickly with adding SDSU (to reclaim some of SoCal market) and SMU (because they are awesome in all ways, and I'm a biased SMU alum and fan)
- I would also seek to add Tulane and Memphis...they give me more teams in the central time zone for early start times and they give me bedfellows for SMU and my mountain time zone teams. AND, they take future inventory away from the Big 12.
- I would group my 6 central and mountain time zone teams in a division conference, along with SDSU since they will be the next closest geographically, and maintain some rationale travel distances, especially for non-revenue\-generating sports.

The pitch to existing members:
- If we make the above moves, the conference is stronger in football than the Big 12 and the ACC (below is how I think the conference ultimately stacks up against the BIG12 in some detail, accounting for how teams will benefit from P5 status).
- We would maintain our ties into the playoff system.
- The conference winner is almost always likely to be included in the 8-team year-end playoffs. If a member like Oregon moves to the Big10, it's a crapshoot at best that they ever win the conference and make the playoffs (though not as bad as OU's future in the SEC, where they will likely never win the conference and likely never make the playoffs...but enjoy your media deal as you sink in national relevance)

PAC 12 Rank Big 12 Rank Comparison
Oregon 1 TCU 1 PAC
Utah 2 Houston 2 PAC
Wash 3 Cincinnati 3 Push
ASU 4 OK State 4 PAC
Colorado 5 Baylor 5 PAC (accounting for Deon impact)
SMU 6 BYU 6 PAC
SDSU 7 UCF 7 BIG
Stanford 8 TX Tech 8 Push
Arizona 9 Iowa St 9 PAC
Oregon St 10 West VA 10 Push
UCal 11 Kansas St 11 BIG
Wash St 12 Kansas 12 BIG
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Rla1022 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:58 am

DC-Pony wrote:If I were the PAC-12, I would be looking not just to replace USC and UCLA. I would be looking a few moves ahead and pitching the benefits of remaining in conference to existing strong PAC-12 members.

A few moves ahead:
- I would proceed quickly with adding SDSU (to reclaim some of SoCal market) and SMU (because they are awesome in all ways, and I'm a biased SMU alum and fan)
- I would also seek to add Tulane and Memphis...they give me more teams in the central time zone for early start times and they give me bedfellows for SMU and my mountain time zone teams. AND, they take future inventory away from the Big 12.
- I would group my 6 central and mountain time zone teams in a division conference, along with SDSU since they will be the next closest geographically, and maintain some rationale travel distances, especially for non-revenue\-generating sports.

The pitch to existing members:
- If we make the above moves, the conference is stronger in football than the Big 12 and the ACC (below is how I think the conference ultimately stacks up against the BIG12 in some detail, accounting for how teams will benefit from P5 status).
- We would maintain our ties into the playoff system.
- The conference winner is almost always likely to be included in the 8-team year-end playoffs. If a member like Oregon moves to the Big10, it's a crapshoot at best that they ever win the conference and make the playoffs (though not as bad as OU's future in the SEC, where they will likely never win the conference and likely never make the playoffs...but enjoy your media deal as you sink in national relevance)

PAC 12 Rank Big 12 Rank Comparison
Oregon 1 TCU 1 PAC
Utah 2 Houston 2 PAC
Wash 3 Cincinnati 3 Push
ASU 4 OK State 4 PAC
Colorado 5 Baylor 5 PAC (accounting for Deon impact)
SMU 6 BYU 6 PAC
SDSU 7 UCF 7 BIG
Stanford 8 TX Tech 8 Push
Arizona 9 Iowa St 9 PAC
Oregon St 10 West VA 10 Push
UCal 11 Kansas St 11 BIG
Wash St 12 Kansas 12 BIG

Great Stuff. Hard pass on Memphis. Anyone except Memphis. Maybe Texas State or UTSA.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:32 pm

I barely want the PAC inviting us. We don’t want to further dilute by inviting Carl’s Carburetor College.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyEnergy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:59 pm

if 4 teams get added I am down for Rice, UNLV, or Tulane for the last 2 spots in a 14 team league
PonyEnergy
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:02 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
Rla1022 wrote:Very narrow thinking. Last number I found says Apple has 1.8 billion devices iPhones and iPads alone . Estimated at about 30 million is Apple TV subscribers. Each and every single device has Apple TV installed. Apple TV doesn’t require a subscription for some content. Additionally a small percentage are actually paying for Apple TV. You don’t even need to subscribe to Apple TV to get MLB. I don’t know the ins and outs of the MLS deal but I’m sure there’s a small fee ? I doubt Apple would create a COLLEGE FOOTBALL app cause I’m sure someone will sue but that would be cool

MLS is $15/month or $99/season if you don't have AppleTV+. It is $13/month or $79 a season if you do. I would expect a college package to be similar. So, it's not even included in the regular subscriber package. That would be a terrible deal for building visibility.

The MLS package has some games on Fox in a content share arrangement, and some games on AppleTV free, so about 40% of the games are available for free. I would guess the same type of arrangement will be made with the PAC, where the big games are available, and to get wider content it would require a subscription.
JasonB

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:31 am

Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:45 am

We are in the same boat as SDSU in the above article. I believe we are going to get the invite, it’s just a matter of what we will actually be joining. Here’s hoping
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:06 pm

Hop Sing wrote:We are in the same boat as SDSU in the above article. I believe we are going to get the invite, it’s just a matter of what we will actually be joining. Here’s hoping

Arizona State Ray Anderson tells Arizona Sports new @pac12 deal, "may not be the projections originally contemplated but will be a solid enough financial situation to keep this conference together."
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:41 pm

Today's Dallas Morning News:

It asked the questions on the costs to SMU and other risks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA188l64
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:54 pm

The devil is always in the details. If we join, will there be guarantees that Washington, OR, and others will be around for 5-10 years? If not, will there be some remuneration to us for teams leaving. Or do we just jump and hope for the best even if its the new MWC. Our current situation with CUSA revisited is not good. I am not psyched about our new additions.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Arkpony » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:05 pm

If we don’t dominate in our present conference with Rice et Al, then we don’t deserve another better conference.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:07 pm

We certainly will have a very short window to "prove ourselves" P-5 if we do 'get an invite/make the jump'.

Regardless, the current AAC is not a viable option.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:20 pm

Rice, UAB, Tulane, Navy and SMU are far better academic choices than commuter schools like Houston, Cincinnati, UCF and Memphis. Maybe Turner and Aresco, emphasizing academics, had a better strategy in the long run for the AAC and PAC membership.
Last edited by SMUstang on Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:38 pm

SMUstang wrote:Rice, UAB, Tulane, Navy and SMU are far better academic choices than commuter schools like Houston, Cincinnati, UCF and Memphis. Maybe Turner and Aresco, emphasizing academics, had a better strategy in the long run for PAC membership.

Both the ACC and PAC-12 schools profile better for SMU academically and athletically. Our geography is a stretch for these two conferences, but in reality, is a plus long term for them with us being in the Central Time with a great airport, DFW.
Pony Up
Water Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football