PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:53 pm

I'm thinking (pure speculation) that the Big XII and the Pac 12 will merge forming an east and west division of 11 teams each, moving BYU to the west. There would be advantages for both conferences with such an arrangement, mainly it would allow them to challenge the B1G as a coast to coast conference which they couldn't do individually. And they could potentially increase the revenue for both conferences. Both conferences would be more stable. The PAC would gain access to Texas recruiting and there would be no need to add any G5's. They could set up a 10 game conference schedule with 6 games in the home division and 4 games in the opposite division. Thereby playing all teams in 3 years or less.
Last edited by SMUstang on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Topper » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
PonyTime wrote:
Topper wrote:If we do not move into a legitimate P5 situation (i.e. a PAC 12 that has not been totally depleted) we need to focus on getting as many P5 non-conference games as possible rather than playing the Southland etc. Problem is getting those types of programs to come to Ford in light of our lack of attendance and exposure.

We have Vandy and Colorado on future schedules. Perhaps we can start up a series with Houston. Would love to see baylor on Schedule in the future though.

Don't forget about Oklahoma visiting in '27.

I hope that I am wrong but I am very doubtful that OU will actually show up in 2027. They can buy themselves out of that game and schedule another home game against a patsy in Norman for the SEC network. Once again, hope I'm wrong as I would love to see Ford actually filled up even if most are wearing crimson and cream.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:18 pm

SMUstang wrote:I'm thinking (pure speculation) that the Big XII and the Pac 12 will merge forming an east and west division of 11 teams each, moving BYU to the west. There would be advantages for both conferences with such an arrangement, mainly it would allow them to challenge the B1G as a coast to coast conference which they couldn't do individually. And they could potentially increase the revenue for both conferences. Both conferences would be more stable. And there would be no need to add any G5's.

Only problem with the two conferences merging is that they would only have one guaranteed spot in the 12 team playoff field. Could make it easier for the B1G and SEC to dominate the field, which most people expect will happen
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:33 pm

Topper wrote:I hope that I am wrong but I am very doubtful that OU will actually show up in 2027. They can buy themselves out of that game and schedule another home game against a patsy in Norman for the SEC network. Once again, hope I'm wrong as I would love to see Ford actually filled up even if most are wearing crimson and cream.

Would have to agree
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:54 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:I'm thinking (pure speculation) that the Big XII and the Pac 12 will merge forming an east and west division of 11 teams each, moving BYU to the west. There would be advantages for both conferences with such an arrangement, mainly it would allow them to challenge the B1G as a coast to coast conference which they couldn't do individually. And they could potentially increase the revenue for both conferences. Both conferences would be more stable. And there would be no need to add any G5's.

Only problem with the two conferences merging is that they would only have one guaranteed spot in the 12 team playoff field. Could make it easier for the B1G and SEC to dominate the field, which most people expect will happen

I'm thinking that with Baylor, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas Tech, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and BYU, among others, they should compete well with the B1G and the SEC for at large bids. Much better than they can do as individual conferences. Remember the PAC and the Big XII without Oklahoma have been blocked out of the 4 team CFP since it's inception. Until TCU did it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:58 pm

SMUstang wrote:I'm thinking (pure speculation) that the Big XII and the Pac 12 will merge forming an east and west division of 11 teams each, moving BYU to the west. There would be advantages for both conferences with such an arrangement, mainly it would allow them to challenge the B1G as a coast to coast conference which they couldn't do individually. And they could potentially increase the revenue for both conferences. Both conferences would be more stable. The PAC would gain access to Texas recruiting and there would be no need to add any G5's. They could set up a 10 game conference schedule with 6 games in the home conference and 4 games in the opposite conference. Thereby playing all teams in 3 years or less.

Interesting thought. I would think the Pac-12 is spending their time thinking about stuff like this rather than hand wringing about adding G5 schools.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:04 pm

mtrout wrote:
SMUstang wrote:I'm thinking (pure speculation) that the Big XII and the Pac 12 will merge forming an east and west division of 11 teams each, moving BYU to the west. There would be advantages for both conferences with such an arrangement, mainly it would allow them to challenge the B1G as a coast to coast conference which they couldn't do individually. And they could potentially increase the revenue for both conferences. Both conferences would be more stable. The PAC would gain access to Texas recruiting and there would be no need to add any G5's. They could set up a 10 game conference schedule with 6 games in the home conference and 4 games in the opposite conference. Thereby playing all teams in 3 years or less.

Interesting thought. I would think the Pac-12 is spending their time thinking about stuff like this rather than hand wringing about adding G5 schools.

I'm sure Pac officials are spending a ton of time trying to figure out how to put themselves out of their cushy jobs. Zero chance of this.
gostangs

Postby Dukie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:16 pm

gostangs wrote:
mtrout wrote:

I'm sure Pac officials are spending a ton of time trying to figure out how to put themselves out of their cushy jobs. Zero chance of this.

I approve this post.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:06 pm

A merger of BigXII and PAC=12 is improbable and would reduce guaranteed playoff spots by one.

More importantly, such a plan would likely eliminate any chance of SMU joining the PAC-12, since gaining access to Texas and the Central Time Zone would happen without us. We better hope this wild idea never happens.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:48 pm

SMUstang wrote: Remember the PAC and the Big XII without Oklahoma have been blocked out of the 4 team CFP since it's inception. Until TCU did it.

Both Oregon and Washington have made the CFP.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:11 am

You are correct. That is my fault for not doing my homework. I should have said, not in the recent past.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 am

Water Pony wrote:A merger of BigXII and PAC=12 is improbable and would reduce guaranteed playoff spots by one.

More importantly, such a plan would likely eliminate any chance of SMU joining the PAC-12, since gaining access to Texas and the Central Time Zone would happen without us. We better hope this wild idea never happens.

If you were a Pac 12 administrator or board member, would you choose to add another mouth to feed for less money? Or if you were a Big XII administrator or board member, would you choose to add the Pac 12 schools, giving your conference more income, better academics, and coast to coast coverage? Don't get your hopes up too high on a Pac 12 invitation. Focus on basketball and academics and improve your chances for an ACC invitation in a few years.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:04 pm

Personally waiting several years more on the chance the ACC might expand has no appeal. I am anxious to get into the P5 sooner and the PAC 12 is the only likely possibility. The BigXII is no fan of ours; so the PAC12 needs to survive and thrive with our help.,
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:52 pm

I'm thinking that the B1G, and/or the SEC will pick off Clemson, Florida St, North Carolina, Virginia, and possibly Miami the first chance that they get. Then the ACC will probably have to back fill with the best G5's available.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:36 pm

ACC guarantee of rights runs through 2036. By then who knows what the landscape will be.
John Canzano wrote an article about how bad the PAC12 was managed as well as PAC12 Network.
[/url] https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-p ... sty-larry/[url]
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football