PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMUvet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:25 am

If you include more small schools the ratios are out of whack for under 20k undergrad but you can see the teams with upside but low conviction (UH, Cinci, etc) and teams with large obstacles to success (SMU, Rice, TCU). Highlights how special what TCU did is.
Attachments
Football overall commit.JPG
Football overall commit.JPG (200.07 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:36 am

Red Dragon Coog wrote:1. Nobody is leaving the Big 12 for the Pac-12. Nobody has $100 million+ and the Big 12 is going to have the better media deal. There's a reason why Pac-12 schools are reaching out to The Big 12 and not the other way around.

Some of your points aren’t completely delusional but any notion that the remaining PAC 12 schools have been reaching out to the Big 12, and not vice versa, is wholly unsupported. If anything, all the media reports were that the Big 12 was trying to pounce quickly on the uncertainty. That was smart, but there are reasons it was unsuccessful. There is zero chance the current Big 12 has a better media deal than the remaining PAC schools when the dust settles.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUvet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:50 am

I dont know. Isnt Pac 12 in the middle of negotiating a deal? And their attendance and viewership numbers are not good. I don't think they sell out any games really.

Unverified viewership for Pac but....
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 7.49.34 PM.jpeg
Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 7.49.34 PM.jpeg (146.7 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:27 pm

SMUvet wrote:I dont know. Isnt Pac 12 in the middle of negotiating a deal? And their attendance and viewership numbers are not good. I don't think they sell out any games really.

Unverified viewership for Pac but....

The PAC 12 (10?) just accelerated the process of finding out how much they’re worth. They do have some historically bad deals but you’ve got a long way to go beyond that one screen shot to convince an impartial reader that their remaining schools are somehow worth less than a conference who’s biggest draw is now who, exactly? Okie State?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUvet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:48 pm

They did just accel the valuation process.

Im totally impartial. Just been digging in recently wrt Pac value. This is all new to me. But I agree Okie State is now the big dawg in the new B12. But i do think TTU and Ok State care way more about football than the vast majority of the Pac. I don't have viewership numbers here but just guessing. I think sked time of games also hurts the Pac with viewership.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby SMUvet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:22 pm

Here is a viewership list for 2021. The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season.
(Source: https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zac ... ef4f315858)
Attachments
Viewership.JPG
Viewership.JPG (109.02 KiB) Viewed 960 times
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:38 pm

SMUvet wrote:They did just accel the valuation process.

Im totally impartial. Just been digging in recently wrt Pac value. This is all new to me. But I agree Okie State is now the big dawg in the new B12. But i do think TTU and Ok State care way more about football than the vast majority of the Pac. I don't have viewership numbers here but just guessing. I think sked time of games also hurts the Pac with viewership.

Time zone does hurt. But I’m pretty sure you can go down the entire list in terms of value and see each PAC school being worth a lot more than its B12 equivalent. UDub and Oregon alone are worth far more than anyone in the new Big XII.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:55 pm

A couple of random thoughts as it pertains to attendance:
1. There have been sellouts at Ford Stadium. I have a panoramic photo on the office wall to prove it.
2. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy ... better matchups (which in the case of the casual Dallas fan probably means former SWC rivals who are close enough to travel and current "name" foes) draw better crowds. SWC to WAC means less attendance. Conversly AAC to B12, PAC12 or ACC means greater attendance. Duh.
3. I can still remember games (SMU vs. Baylor I recall particularly) when my dad bought walk-up seats on gamely, which were in the end zone at the Cotton Bowl (in those days, capacity was 75,504) because that's all that were available. The stadium wasn't full I imagine, but we were sitting up by the scoreboard in the end zone, so it had to be close to full.
4. I also (vaguely) remember my fraternity chartering busses to take us all to Texas Stadium (65,675 capacity). Those games weren't full by any means, but even if they were 2/3 full, that would be more than Houston, who only averages 32,733.
5. Any way you look at it, Cougar High talking smack about attendance is pretty weak sauce when they only draw 30k on average. Sort of like claiming to be the tallest midget. :roll: That being said, Houston will benefit hugely from #2 above. Their attendance should get a significant boost by virtue of nothing more than sharing the turf with more relevant, regional foes on a consistent basis.
6. Last point. Almost every program in America has attendance going in the wrong direction as more eyeballs are watching from home. Exacerbated in recent years by COVID. So moving forward, television market size and location is going to be increasingly more important than butts in the stadium to ESPN, Fox, Apple, etc. Butts in seats are nothing more than a colorful backdrop for the show.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:02 pm

SMU Vet- I take exception of your including Cincy, Houston and UCF in the figures for the bigxx. Those figures are from when they were still in the AAC and should not be included with the figures of the bigxx.
Anyway interesting info.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUvet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:05 pm

Indicative purposes only.
SMUvet
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:11 pm

SMUvet wrote:Here is a viewership list for 2021. The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season.
(Source: https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zac ... ef4f315858)

I saw these same figures once before but with UT and OU factored out of the Big 12 audiences. The numbers for the TCU vs. Baylor game for instance were quite low. Standing on its own against run of the mill opponents BYU was the strongest team in terms of viewers out of the Big 12 to be.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby fan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:12 pm

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/15 ... 3776227328

A few mentions again from this PAC beat writer. Someone in admin needs to get on the phone to the PAC office and Phil Knight and sell them a vision.
fan
Varsity

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:43 am

fan wrote: Someone in admin needs to get on the phone to the PAC office and Phil Knight and sell them a vision.

While I agree with your idea I doubt if we have anybody capable of doing that kind of a selling job. In fact I wonder if our admin is even doing anything to try and move us up. Kind of remember how little we did to try and get an invite to b12 on expansion 1 and expansion 2.
redpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:04 am

redpony wrote:While I agree with your idea I doubt if we have anybody capable of doing that kind of a selling job. In fact I wonder if our admin is even doing anything to try and move us up. Kind of remember how little we did to try and get an invite to b12 on expansion 1 and expansion 2.

Well somebody is doing something - the mayor had a nice op-ed in the Morning News yesterday.

https://www.smu.edu/News/Featured/SMU-has-a-strong-case-for-a-major-college-athletic-conference
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:18 am

DFFH- yes, nice article. I was actually referring to selling the decision makers of other conferences on SMU. Obviously the mayor should be on our side as a move to a major conference would help the city as well.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football